Longevity of ITR pistons under boost

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2005, 08:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Longevity of ITR pistons under boost (vtec.dc2)

Yes, please tell me more about forged internals and/or using non-stock parts! After all, that's what I keep asking about in this thread.

Edit: for the handful of guys who have answered my question, thank you.
Old 03-27-2005, 08:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Destroying turbo ITR motors in Minneapolis, MN, U.S.A.
Default Re: Longevity of ITR pistons under boost (Batoutahell)

If you plan on road-racing in the future with stock parts under boost, why are you asking them if they'll last? You have no choice anyways.

Old 03-27-2005, 09:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

batoutahell: while I do understand where you are coming from, you are not getting the answer you want simply because you aren't going to find a person (especially in the f/i forum) that would tell you to boost on stock cast pistons. if you are taking the time to rebuild you should do it right with some forged rods and pistons. resleeving would certainly be unnecessary for the power level you desire though. just my thoughts.
Old 03-27-2005, 09:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Longevity of ITR pistons under boost (boostincoupe)

Ok, so you say that no one is answering your question, if you read back through your original post you will notice that there are no questions there no "?" mark at all. Anyway, I guess you are asking if your stock pistons will last in the set up u want, answer is, it will take one bad tank of gas, or one bad spark plug, weather it's fouled up or the wrong gap, or a hot day with a poor tune. Any of those things will kill your stock pistons. When I was having my car street tuned I had to large of a gap on the spark plugs, that made the car miss fire, sooo loud it sounded like a shot gun went off in my car, we replicated the missfire a couple of times just to troubleshoot, after we got it fixed my tuner said that he would never try that on stock pistons cuz the stock pistons might not have survived that kind of a beating. And another thing, 8psi with a supercharger is not the same as 8psi on a turbo, there is no getting around that, numbers don't lie. So to answer your question, I think your stock 10.6 type r pistons will last one race weekend under the conditions that you described, that is if they live through the tuning.
Old 03-27-2005, 10:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Longevity of ITR pistons under boost (leadfoot78)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by leadfoot78 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok, so you say that no one is answering your question, if you read back through your original post you will notice that there are no questions there no "?" mark at all.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Are you seriously telling me that I haven't been clear in asking my question? Well, here's an excerpt from my original post (note the question "?" at the end): <TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Batoutahell &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Everything else being equal, I'd rather use oem internals instead of buying aftermarket parts. However, I don't want to use oem internal parts at the expense of reliability. Does anyone have an opinion whether I've been "lucky" for the past 3 years with my ITR pistons, or are ITR pistons sufficiently reliable at 6-7 psi?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Later: <TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Batoutahell &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Are ITR pistons known to be reliable at 6-7psi during sustained high-rpm track driving? This, this is the question I'm trying to answer. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Again: <TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Batoutahell &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Fair enough. What part(s) would you expect would fail (at 6-7psi) while road racing, and why? This is the information that I'm after. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Once more: <TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Batoutahell &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Do the ringlands fail because of the heat, the boost or both? Besides the obvious thing that they metal in the ringlands is thinner, I'd like to know why they're the weak link. Is it cracking or melting that's the danger?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't want to sound totally unappreciative because I am getting some good feedback here. Once more, thank you for that. Yes, I understand that the views in this forum are going to be slanted towards "building it right." But my dilemma is this: either ITR pistons ARE reliable for hpde use at 6-7psi, OR I have been REAL lucky for the past 4 years. I'm going to estimate that my car has clocked 150 hours of running hard on road courses over the years, all under 5-7psi of boost with the jrsc. If you guys are telling me that my engine has been a ticking bomb all this time, I can accept that. But I'd like to hear sound reasoning behind these opinions and try to make sense of all the years of problem-free running. I'd like to make an informed decision, that's all.

Oh, and to boostincoupe: for your benefit, I will RE-iterate that if/when I road race the ITR, the jrsc will come off to comply with class rules. You might try reading the thread before you start waving the
Old 03-27-2005, 02:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok so maybe i skimmed through your post too fast, my bad, I apologize. I don't think your stock type r was a ticking bomb for the last 4 years why? for the same reason that you can use a supercharger with stock injectors, but you better not try that with a turbo. I'm not sure how much torque you made with the supercharger but all the supercharged B-series engines I have seen didn't make much torque at all. The amount of stress on your pistons will be directly related to the power your make, because that's directly related to how much air you push through the engine, and that in turn is directly related to the amount of heat and cylinder pressure. I'm sure you understand that more power, always means more air, more air means more pressure, and more pressure means more heat, what you may not know is that, a to4s or a sc34 will push way more air into your engine than a supercharger will ever be able to. I make 175ft/lb of torque to the wheels at only 4500rpm, that's on about 8psi. I seriously doubt that your supercharged B series ever made that much torque at any rpm. If you were to use stock pistons for a supercharger than most people would say that's fine, turbo is a little different though.