Notices

Light weight flywheel with turbo

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2001, 12:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Light weight flywheel with turbo

I know this topic has been covered before, but when I did a search no one really gave a straight answer.

Is there anyone on this board that has a turbo and a lightwieght flywheel? If so, which one? How do you like it? Do you have problems with your car dying at stoplights? What would be a good weight or brand?

I would really like to know if it would be a worthwhile investment, or just hinder my daily drivng.
Old 06-17-2001, 11:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Light weight flywheel with turbo (Reverend)

up
Old 06-17-2001, 11:43 AM
New User

Default Re: Light weight flywheel with turbo (Reverend)

I had a JUN lightweight flywheel on my SOHC 1.6 turbo. I loved it. The only thing I noticed was quicker spool and a release of HP. It felt much better after the flywheel was installed. With the my new B18C1 I will being going with a lightweight flywheel as well. I think it is well worth it. My daily driving wasn't affected at all. Way quicker rev's. Go for it.
Old 06-17-2001, 12:00 PM
New User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Light weight flywheel with turbo (dragonsmp)

From what I understand a 12 lbs flywheel is plenty light for a turbo'd car, you dont whatn it to rev or drop revs too fast... someone correct me if I am wrong...

[Modified by GS-Racer01, 1:09 PM 6/17/2001]
Old 06-17-2001, 12:06 PM
MDA
New User

Default Re: Light weight flywheel with turbo (GS-Racer01)

I don't know if an aluminum one is worth the money.... however if the whole tranny needs to be taken apart.... lightenning your stock flywheel does make things rev that much easier.... i did this... it's cheap and gets the job done... with no ill effects...
Old 06-17-2001, 02:32 PM
New User

Default Re: Light weight flywheel with turbo (GS-Racer01)

From what I understand a 12 lbs flywheel is plenty light for a turbo'd car, you dont whatn it to rev or drop revs too fast... someone correct me if I am wrong...

[Modified by GS-Racer01, 1:09 PM 6/17/2001]
It didn't drop rev's fast, that is quite an overexertion of the truth. In fact I didn't even notice the change when switching gears until someone pointed out to look at the rev's dropping. It is hardly noticeable and dosen't affect daily driving at all. Go for it, you will be very pleased with the results. It will affect your launching time at the track however, slighty.
Old 06-17-2001, 02:52 PM
New User

i vouch for that...
Old 06-17-2001, 08:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Light weight flywheel with turbo (Mr Integra)

Yeah, turbo is not on yet, but I did install a Clutchmasters aluminum flywheel and ACT clutch/pressure plate today (thanks DragonSMP!) .

Very nice, revs up and down like a kitty kat. Very nice, and nothing bad about it. The clutch does grab the motor by the ***** when it grips though

I like it, and I can't wait to get my turbo. Excuse me now, as after working on my car for 8 hours every part of me hurts - I have to go sleep for a few days.

Btw- I also used Napa 10W-30 in the tranny since I didn't have anything else around. Figured I'd change out to something else later once I get a chance, but it shifts just fine. Just an FYI since I've seen a lot of people arguing about what kind of stuff to put in the gearbox.

Old 06-17-2001, 09:02 PM
New User

Default Re: Light weight flywheel with turbo (mplex2000)

Yeah, turbo is not on yet, but I did install a Clutchmasters aluminum flywheel and ACT clutch/pressure plate today (thanks DragonSMP!) .
My pleasure bro... I take it the throwout bearing arrived safe and sound? I am glad everything worked out for you. Good luck on the turbo install and keep me posted. Hopefully I will be putting the DRAG Gen3 on the GSR this week.... Oh boy, I can't wait. I miss turbo.
Old 06-17-2001, 09:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Light weight flywheel with turbo (Mr Integra)

Very nice, revs up and down like a kitty kat. Very nice, and nothing bad about it. The clutch does grab the motor by the ***** when it grips though

I like it, and I can't wait to get my turbo. Excuse me now, as after working on my car for 8 hours every part of me hurts - I have to go sleep for a few days.

Btw- I also used Napa 10W-30 in the tranny since I didn't have anything else around. Figured I'd change out to something else later once I get a chance, but it shifts just fine. Just an FYI since I've seen a lot of people arguing about what kind of stuff to put in the gearbox.

Old 06-17-2001, 09:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, got it Saturday. The only bad thing was the flywheel came with some new 6 point bolts and lockwashers, by you could not fit a socket on the bolts after they were threaded thru the pressureplate for some reason. Oh well, I used the stock 12 point bolts and the new lockwashers. Drives like a dream!