Notices

Lets talk about heat, the damage it does, and the best ways to mitigate it.

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2005, 06:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lets talk about heat, the damage it does, and the best ways to mitigate it.

I track my turbo'd ITR as often as I can. Right now I'm still running on stock internals and 9.5lbs of boost, and my compression is starting to sag (150-180-180-145). So I'm starting to think about planning the rebuild and turning the boost up.

I have a set of Ross 9.0-1 pistons, and will go with eagle rods most likely. I'm trying to decide whether or not to sleeve it (Benson).

ChrisF has a setup similar to mine, but he's done the rebuild (pistons and rods, stock sleeves). Running 15 lbs of boost his oil is hitting 300 degrees even with an aftermarket cooler (as some of you probably know)!!!! I believe his rad is stock though (Chris, please correct my mistakes)

I've talked to a few local people, and one guy I really trust (years of racing experine, honda mechanic god, etc....) has convinced me that oil just cant stand temps that high, and becomes very ineffective. I really want to keep the temps down around 250 at the most. Right now I'm running about 230 with a cooler.

Here's my question: Would Benson sleeves help or hinder cooling? Many ITR guys have had success swapping in NSX brakes, which use a thicker rotor. The theory is that the larger mass of the bigger rotor is better at absorbing and dissipating heat. Could the same be said for thicker sleeves? Would they transfer heat to the coolant more effectively?

Also, are oil temps and coolant temps really that related to each other? Is assuming that lower coolant temps would necessarily mean lower oil temps? Or is there more going on there?

Is the answer just a bigger oil cooler? Would the money for sleeves be better spent on a larger rad and some fancy (read:GHETTO) hood vents? Any more holes in my car and there wont be a front end left.

Old 06-23-2005, 06:22 PM

Default Re: Lets talk about heat, the damage it does, and the best ways to mitigate it. (Dr Pooface)

Heat dissipation is primarily determined by surface area. The ITR brakes work better because they use a larger pad to convert mechanical energy to heat faster, and dissipate heat faster because there is more surface area inside the vents.

Thus, no, I do not believe new sleeves would have any effect on the oil temperature.

Three things cool the oil in your engine.

1) Direct radiation from the oil pan
2) Conduction into the engine coolant
3) Radiation from an oil cooler

So there are several ways you can cool your oil down:

1) Install an oil pan with a larger surface area or a better conducting material. A pan with a kicked-out sump, cooling fins, or made of aluminum are all good methods.

2) Increase the coolant flow rate in the engine with an aftermarket pump or a smaller pump pulley.

3) Install a bigger oil cooler and make sure it gets plenty of air.
Old 06-23-2005, 06:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Lets talk about heat, the damage it does, and the best ways to mitigate it. (beepy)

Does anyone make an oil pan with cooling fins? The only one I'v eseen was made by Spoon and it was crazy $$$$$$.

Would welding fins on a stock pan do anything positive? I've got some pretty good hookups for metal fab shops through work.
Old 06-23-2005, 06:52 PM
Moderator in Chief

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Lets talk about heat, the damage it does, and the best ways to mitigate it. (beepy)

4.) Aftermarket oil pan with more oil capacity - more volume to absorb heat.
Old 06-23-2005, 07:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Lets talk about heat, the damage it does, and the best ways to mitigate it. (Muckman)

ive only tracked my turbo integra once (turbocharged) and it did just fine. then agian, i dont use any gauges so i dont know whats going on at all

i was going to use an oil cooler right before the turbo, and maybe get a small fan for it.
Old 06-23-2005, 09:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Lets talk about heat, the damage it does, and the best ways to mitigate it. (2SLO)

My oil temps were sitting at 200 degrees during heavy lapping sessions at Watkins Glen and Limerock events last year. I am running a oil thermostat sandwich with -10 a.n lines to a 24 row Earls oil cooler mounted side vent at the bumper on my eg with a small puller fan. I am also running straight distilled water with water wetter on a 1/2 core PWR radiator. I experienced drastic underhood temperature reductions with wrapping my FR manifold, DP and switching to an AIR manifold. IAT's on the track were 140-150 degrees before wrapping, and 100-110 after. My ECT temps never peaked past 200 degrees while lapping either.
Old 06-24-2005, 04:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

like as said before, a larger capacity oil pan will be a needed benefit, more oil=less volume of fluid heat soaked, plus you could probably increase the size of the oil cooler a little.

i have also seen where too large of an oil cooler will lower oil pressure. what is you pressure right now with your cooler???

and no i dont think a sleeved motor directly has anything to do with running cooler, as a matter fo fact a lot of people to incluse myself had cooling issues after my sleeving process, because of the older design i ended up with/

i agree with boosted "wrap it up B" i always wrap all my stuff, i even do the intercooler piping as well. and during cool down periods, i spray the wrap with ice water from a spray bottle to help disipation.

i have seen people weld or braze or whatever they did, some fins on a stock pan but i dont know the result.

i cant rememebr now, but what kind of radiator are you running??

i have run my hatch at road atlanta before and had no issues, but it was all motor.

i ran my hatch turbo at sebring, but didnt log any of the laps(forgot the cable)
Old 06-24-2005, 05:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Lets talk about heat, the damage it does, and the best ways to mitigate it. (Dr Pooface)

besides whats already mentioned, run thicker oil. the new mobil 15w50 is thin as hell once you run the car just for 20 minutes of hwy. i had good results with shell 5w40 during winter and it worked just fine.. ran a mix of 15w50 and 5w40 and it worked good too, i'm still trying to figure out what oil to run during summer.. previous summer i've used penzoil 15w40, it held pressure better but only for 1-2k miles and still not as good as i'd like.
Old 06-24-2005, 05:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Lets talk about heat, the damage it does, and the best ways to mitigate it. (vtec.dc2)

I run Molbil 15-50, and my pressure hovers around 80 a wot.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mrbsponge &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
i cant rememebr now, but what kind of radiator are you running??</TD></TR></TABLE>

stock

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boosted hybrid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> I am running a oil thermostat sandwich with -10 a.n lines to a 24 row Earls oil cooler</TD></TR></TABLE>

This the one?:

I'm using an earls 19 row right now. Maybe it's time to upgrade.
Old 06-24-2005, 06:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You can also try spraying water on the oil cooler from the front. STi's use this technique on their intercoolers. The theory is that when the water hits the hot metal it evaporates and in the proccess it removes vast quantities of heat (the water steals heat energy so that it can evaporate)..
Old 06-24-2005, 08:21 AM
Brrraaaap!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Lets talk about heat, the damage it does, and the best ways to mitigate it. (Oyvind Ryeng)

Im lookin for ways to keep my CRX coooler now that Im FI. I put in the EG half rad and it didnt cool nearly as well as the stocker... It was 95 deg out the other day on the freeway I was @ 210 oil temp ad about 220 water temp... Thats quite a bit hotter then Id like to be running on the freeway for long periods of time... I thught about maybe some sort of hood vent perhaps? Boosted Hybrid, did you use just the regular old heat warpping stuff or was it something special?

Old 06-24-2005, 11:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dr Pooface &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
This the one?:

I'm using an earls 19 row right now. Maybe it's time to upgrade.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I also use this cooler (24 row) and it does very well for me thus far driving on the streets for longer periods of time...
Old 06-24-2005, 11:15 AM
i my honda
Global Mod

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Lets talk about heat, the damage it does, and the best ways to mitigate it. (twkdCD595)

My oil cooler is that same size except its a fluidyne. It works great.
Old 06-24-2005, 11:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Lets talk about heat, the damage it does, and the best ways to mitigate it. (twkdCD595)

how much oil capacity do you guys have with those oil coolers. I've been considering adding an oil cooler to my car, as the new top mount manifold is doing a nice job of heating the engine bay. But hell my car is at 5.5qts of oil right now with just the moroso oil pan and turbo, how much are you guys using when you add the oil coolers?

next question, is the B&M oil cooler kit for hondas even worth it? I know people say piece it together, but i can't see dropping 400 bucks for an oil cooler setup, just to try and get my temps down some. my cars a street warrior with temps that tend to stick around the 220 degree mark. Although I have my oil temp sensor off the GE adaptor plate, rather than off the moroso oil pan, so I tend to think my oil temps are hotter than they really car.
Old 06-24-2005, 02:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is the oil cooler core that I have.

Adding a puller fan to the oil cooler made a huge drop in oil temps (about 10 degrees). I use Valvoline VR1 20w50 oil and it works really well. The heat wrap that I use on my manifold was purchased through Summit, so I'm assuming it's pretty standard header wrap. I have to put about 5 quarts of oil in my engine after adding the oil cooler, so I picked up about a quart of oil capacity.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Blaze45 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Im lookin for ways to keep my CRX coooler now that Im FI. I put in the EG half rad and it didnt cool nearly as well as the stocker... It was 95 deg out the other day on the freeway I was @ 210 oil temp ad about 220 water temp... Thats quite a bit hotter then Id like to be running on the freeway for long periods of time... I thught about maybe some sort of hood vent perhaps? Boosted Hybrid, did you use just the regular old heat warpping stuff or was it something special? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Have you bled your coolant system? Sounds like you might have an air pocket. Depending on where you have your coolant temp pickup for your guage, that isn't just running hot. You are overheating. You definitely have another issue at hand.
Old 06-24-2005, 04:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Blaze45 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Im lookin for ways to keep my CRX coooler now that Im FI. I put in the EG half rad and it didnt cool nearly as well as the stocker... It was 95 deg out the other day on the freeway I was @ 210 oil temp ad about 220 water temp... Thats quite a bit hotter then Id like to be running on the freeway for long periods of time... I thught about maybe some sort of hood vent perhaps? Boosted Hybrid, did you use just the regular old heat warpping stuff or was it something special?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I just used the DEI exhaust wrap. All those parts in a very compact space creating heat isn't fun.
Old 06-25-2005, 10:36 PM
Brrraaaap!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (red_crx)

The temps that I posted are with my car FI. When I wasnt FI and I installed the EG rad it didnt cool nearly as well as the stock one did. I havent bled the coolant so I guess I better try that.... But still it was alomst 100 out and my car was running that hot on the freeway... Im pertty sure that the HG and t-stat are ok cause when its cooler out the temps are quite a bit cooler... I think that the airflow to my rad. really sucks n thats why Im running so hot.