Notices

Less boost than usual + exhaust louder = relation?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 06:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Less boost than usual + exhaust louder = relation?

I used to get 9ish lbs of boost.

My internal wastegate actuator rod broke off and ever since, I have been using tie wraps to hold the flapper closed to the wastegate, but it would melt off every couple of days

One day last week I was booting it pretty hard on the highway at 9lbs then it dropped and would only go to 5lbs. My assumption was the tie wrap heated up and stretched letting some boost out. At the same time, I noticed my exhaust got a little bit louder.

Ever since that, when I tried to tie wrap, I would only get 5lbs, for one boot and it would melt (as oppose to most other times, it usually doesn't melt so soon)

Couple days ago I finally fixed my waste actuator, but there is like half a centimeter of play on the flapper (I doubt it would change much)

Anyways now I only getlike 4 or 5lbs(and its like a leaky 5lbs) at 6000ish rpm. The boost doesn't even start to kick in until about 3000rpm. And my exhaust got a shitload louder.

Now what I want to know is, do you guys think that me not getting boost and my exhaust getting louder have anything to do with eachother? Like, what could it be? I know im not leaking boost from any intercooler pipes...so I don't know what it could be.
Old 04-18-2008, 06:17 PM
Mr. Badwrench

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Less boost than usual + exhaust louder = relation? (vtak2nr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vtak2nr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My internal wastegate actuator rod broke off and ever since, I have been using tie wraps to hold the flapper closed to the wastegate, but it would melt off every couple of days</TD></TR></TABLE>

wow.

you need to see where the exh leak is.
any exh not goin through the turbo isnt spooling it.
Old 04-18-2008, 06:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Less boost than usual + exhaust louder = relation? (boostedcivicsir)

k so if the exhaust leak isnt from the engine - &gt; manifold or manifold - &gt; turbo, then the exhaust leak has nothing to do with it right?

and sorry if my questions sound amateur. im learning this as i go along
Old 04-20-2008, 02:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Less boost than usual + exhaust louder = relation? (vtak2nr)

don't forget to check Turbo &gt; downpipe and Downpipe &gt; Exhaust