Notices

leaking oil, please help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2002, 10:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default leaking oil, please help!

Well ok guys.

for those of you that responded last week, it doesnt appear to be the oil feed or oil return. however over night i am getting a small quater sized puddle underneath my car.

and im adding about half a quart PER week. the car still feels strong and no problems.

i got underneath the car and i have oil splashed all over down there. it appears to be coming from where the tranny meets the block (rear main seal?????)

and i also noticed i have a bit of oil on the coupling where my I/C piping meets my compressor housing.

what should i check for if i have a "blown" turbo. the turbo still pulls strong and spools no problem, but i do have some oil on the compressor housing and the coupling itself. it might just be splattered from some place else.

ive heard of rear main seals commonly failing and is an easy fix on ALL cars, not just hondas. ill try to upload pics but does anyone have any advice on what to look for, symptoms etc? im nervous about my turbo!
Old 09-01-2002, 12:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: leaking oil, please help! (NYb16)

please!......
Old 09-01-2002, 09:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

this isnt like the FI board i know!

Edit: Ok ive gotten under there and the turbo is ruled out, its fine no problems.

however i do think its from my oil return, and when it drips at high speed it splashes back. it only drips a small amount each night, and since its gravity fed, it only drips whats left in the turbo. hence the reason why im not getting HUGE puddles, like i said they are only about 1" diameter puddles. but is there ANYTHING going on in that tranny/block area that i should note?

[Modified by NYb16, 1:26 AM 9/2/2002]
Old 09-01-2002, 09:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well, first, what I'd suggest is celaning all the oil from underneath, DON"T use brake cleaner, they break off liquid gasket like honda bond...use like a degreaser then hose it off...after that wipe it off really really good..

then jack the car up on stands, ALL 4, then start the car, that way there will be oil pressure going....

this may not be unsafe, but I have done this several times, and justmake sure, parking brake is engage, the jack stands is on the right notch....

and watch for oil dripping..

if it is the rear main seal, it's not all that bad actually...you'll need to take out 5 bolts for the tranny housing, the 2 big *** 19mm rear mount bolts, shift linkage, VSS sensor, then the pass trany mount, to make it easier..

then separate the tranny housing from the block, take out the clutch, pressure plate and then the flywheel ( 17mm 12 point socket needed).

take out the oil pan as well. the two studs that held the oil pan in place is actually coming from the rear main seal..

take out the rear main seal, replace the oil seals...then put it back together again, just make sure the springs inside the oil seals is still there when you put the rear main seal again to the end of the crank...

damn it, I wish I am there..hehehehe

HTH

stan
Old 09-01-2002, 09:50 PM
Better than steak

If your tranny is leaking oil, I would look into that asap. You might have been adding oil to your car all this time when it was your tranny.

Old 09-02-2002, 06:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: leaking oil, please help! (Arturbo)

not the case art, im religiously checking my dip stick every day, twice a day.

its def coming from my engine.

Stan, thanks for the heads up on the rear main, has yours failed?
Old 09-02-2002, 08:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

no, I replaced mine when the motor was out....but if it was the tranny oil, you'd know that it's usually coming from where the clutch housing and tranny housing meet...

do this, change your oil, that way it's clear and clean off the bottom part and find out again..

FYI, I had a leak that was annoying yet could never find it, it turns out it was the fitting on oil return flange on the turbo was not directly straight down, therefore oil was dripping out of there....look for not too obvious spots..
Old 09-02-2002, 08:39 AM

Since the bottom of the tranny/motor is just about the lowest spot on the motor, that is where the oil is going run to. I doubt it is your real main seal since you have a 2000 civic. Make sure you look real good around the oil feed connection on the back of the block, the brass tees are real soft and could have easily been crossthreaded or broke from stress.
Old 09-02-2002, 01:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: leaking oil, please help! (EGb18cT)

thanks for the excellent advise fella's

im due for an oil change next week, so when i get under tehre ill do a thourough investigation!

wish you were here to help stan!