Notices

Oil on the bottom of the turbo hot side?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 07:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Oil on the bottom of the turbo hot side?

hey guys i have been smoking a little bit of oil lately, so i decided it might be my drain line, it wasnt great so i made a new one thats a lot better. Now the car seems to smoke a lot less, but still does at WOT and higher RPMs, i noticed oil collecting at the bottom of the hot side of the turbo....it seems like its comming out somewhere between hot and cold side. Could this be turbo seals?
Old 05-22-2009, 07:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Oil on the bottom of the turbo hot side?

I just got over this problem with a garrett t3/t4... Would smoke at idle on startup then go away once the car is warmed up and driven for a few minutes. left a small amount of oil and a tiny puddle under the turbo on the bottom of the hotside and inside the downpipe.When i switched setups recently and clocked the turbo I had some around the compressor housing, but none ever in the inlet. I have always been using a been using a restictor.

I re did my drain line and switched oil brands and the problem went away. I really think more then anything it was the oil brand.
Old 05-22-2009, 07:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmm, im using Amsoil 5w30 right now. There is an oil restrictor, its not a BB turbo. I wouldnt worry about it but i wiped it, and revved the motor couple of times to redline, and the puddle came back, so its dripping at a pretty good rate. But only at high RPM/WOT.
Old 05-23-2009, 02:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car does this at start sometimes it smoke but when i drive it it goes away. I also get a small oil puddle in the driveway. My turbo is also a garret like yall have. I think i need to go back with amsoil too, i use the thick stuff 20w50 race oil.