Notices

K20.ek's Fuel Pressure Regulator Turbo B-Series question??

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 04:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Re: K20.ek's Fuel Pressure Regulator Turbo B-Series question??

Originally Posted by LightningTeg
Jason seems like he knows his ****. Whoever tuned it the first time is a bozo.

Yea I’m goin to try to set an appointment on May 30th with Jason. Should have went to him in the first place but I couldn’t find a date I’m off for his schedule.

Also has anyone tuned with ImportExperts???

My original first tuner was lookin at my fuel gauge on my fuel filter and said “ your fpr doesn’t have a vacuum line on it and that’s why it’s leaning out”
it took me a min... I was like WTF... did he just say my fuel filter is my fpr..??? Still confused lol and I told him my fpr is on my fuel rail. Then he looked at it and said yes you need to upgrade to Aem fpr. Well I was telling him I’ve seen stock fpr hold up to 500whp. And I doubt my motor hasn’t even reached 250- 300whp yet untuned or barely tuned by him. So that’s where I’m at now. Oyyy vey!!!!
Well walbro255lph fuel pump and relay kit and aem fpr upgraded so there no excuse this shouldn’t hit a conservative 350-400whp.

but if you want his name just IM me and I’ll be glad to help you avoid him from tuning a Honda motor.
Old 05-18-2019, 11:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok guys did some Dyno tuning with James Emmino and he is a very good tuner! My car runs smoother and pulls hard.
It made 300whp 270-290 torque ( didn’t really look at the torque but my buddy says the torque was up up that range ) on 10psi with vtec breaking up.

so here is the problem, vtec wasn’t engaging in the beginning, He found out the pin on the harness goin to the ecu was loose, so he fixed that and now vtec engages. So now vtec works but when he sets vtec in like 5500rpm it breaks up.... it wants to engage but it doesn’t fully lock on. Doesn’t matter where he sets it on it breaks up. I don’t know how to explain it good enough but it just like a vtec goin in and out. I’ll try to get a video tomorrow.

he says it could be something restricting exhaust flow to make the vtec to break up like that. I’m running a blox log manni and he suggest I change it out for tubular.

I’m not doubting his exterptise but I just don’t see how a log manni will make vtec break up like that wherever we set it at. It sounds like electrical or something or something like it blowing out the spark.

Oil pressure is good, solenoid engages, no breaks in the wiring. Everything meets the spec for the vtec to engage according to my tuner.

if any input or anybody had this problem please lmk.
Old 05-19-2019, 03:41 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts

Glad to hear positive things about James - that's who I'm going to use. So you are saying the breakup issue follows the vtec engagement point when it is moved?
Old 05-19-2019, 05:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DaX
Glad to hear positive things about James - that's who I'm going to use. So you are saying the breakup issue follows the vtec engagement point when it is moved?
Yes that’s what it seems like. But when vtec is set at 7k, it seems like vtec want to engage at 6k... breaks in and out. So as of now vtec is set at 7k rpm so I don’t drop a valve at 5500k rpm. He explained since vtec is breaking up like that it’s best for me to keep it on 7k until I change out the log manni for tubular then set back to 5500k.

Im goin to run open downpipe to see what that does. He says something restricting exhaust flow so I’ll do that today and report back

Last edited by K20.ek; 05-19-2019 at 06:01 AM.
Old 05-19-2019, 05:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 286 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by DaX
Where is this tuner located? I've been speaking to a fella that travels. Joe Ti is his name, he's from out of Tennessee.. Memphis, if memory serves me proper. 4 hour drive for me but, he goes to Little Rock and Texarkana from time to time. Group rates and such.
Old 05-19-2019, 06:13 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

James @ EBTEC is in Powder Springs, GA
Old 05-19-2019, 06:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 286 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by DaX
James @ EBTEC is in Powder Springs, GA
GA will be out of the question for me then. Lol!
Old 05-19-2019, 07:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

No luck on the open downpipe, vtec still breaking up.

Next step is to change back to my stock ls throttle body that I had on my na setup and see if it helps. I’m currently using my brothers old stock gsr tb.

Any other suggestions you guys have?
Old 05-19-2019, 08:16 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Don't be offended by any of these questions - just trying to be thorough!

So if you disable VTEC and do a pull up to redline, no breaking up?

Have you pulled apart the VTEC solenoid to make sure it's not all gunked up?

Have you verified the TPS voltage at closed and WOT?

What are the specs of your ignition system? @turboLScrx was having some breaking up issues recently and he just found out that his MSD Blaster coil was giving him issues (see post here).
Old 05-19-2019, 09:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DaX
Don't be offended by any of these questions - just trying to be thorough!

So if you disable VTEC and do a pull up to redline, no breaking up?
-Yes we did disabled vtec and no breaking up to redline 8k

Have you pulled apart the VTEC solenoid to make sure it's not all gunked up?
-Yes we pulled apart looked at the screen and not gunked up, just a little bit of debris but nothing bad. We even tried two other ecus and a different solenoid.

Have you verified the TPS voltage at closed and WOT?
-Have not done that yet but will try out my ls throttle body first then if it’s still the same I will check voltage.

What are the specs of your ignition system? @turboLScrx was having some breaking up issues recently and he just found out that his MSD Blaster coil was giving him issues (see post here).
-ignition system is stock. Ngk wires pretty old need to change them out but had no problems on my na poor mans type r setup hitting vtec.
-new installed ngk spark plugs 7s gapped at .30

My stock vtec distributor has accel coil on it about 2-3 yrs old ran good with my na setup. Also new rotor and cap installed 2mths ago.

But I will say this, I’ve been having always problems with my distributor internal wiring all crack up wires, and one of them I had to solder together, so mayb I’m thinkin it’s probably giving out on high rpm hitting vtec.

its sounds like a static on an old school cable tv lol cutting on and off, then put that sound and an invidia exhaust system together 🤣 . Best way I can describe it.
Old 05-19-2019, 09:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh I’m not offended by any means. Thanks for your response.
Old 05-19-2019, 10:01 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Was the chassis pre-wired for VTEC, or did you have to run your own wiring? Maybe try temporarily bypassing the existing VTEC wiring and hard wire it to see if that fixes it?

The CYP, TDC, and CKP sensor wiring needs to be shielded, as these signals are susceptible to electrical interference - any chance the shielding is damaged or not grounded? Have you had to mess with the wiring for any of these?

Do you have another distributor, or at least another ICM you can try swapping in?

To me it's strange how it's VTEC dependent. Definitely seems like a wiring issue to me, but I'm not a tuner.
Old 05-19-2019, 03:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 576 Likes on 382 Posts

My car was doing the same thing and it seemed to break up when vtec would engage, I was able to get that part cleared by moving some wiring inside the distributor around , but it still broke up over 68-7200 rpms. The breaking up was being caused by my distributor, I replaced the igniter and installed a stock Honda coil and cleaned up any possibilities of a bad wire inside the distributor and BAM! No more breaking up. Most break up issues are distributor related from what I’ve found
Old 05-19-2019, 03:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 576 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by DaX
Was the chassis pre-wired for VTEC, or did you have to run your own wiring? Maybe try temporarily bypassing the existing VTEC wiring and hard wire it to see if that fixes it?

The CYP, TDC, and CKP sensor wiring needs to be shielded, as these signals are susceptible to electrical interference - any chance the shielding is damaged or not grounded? Have you had to mess with the wiring for any of these?

Do you have another distributor, or at least another ICM you can try swapping in?

To me it's strange how it's VTEC dependent. Definitely seems like a wiring issue to me, but I'm not a tuner.

I think it has to do with the load on the motor, I think some arching might happen when put under a load .
Old 05-20-2019, 07:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DaX
-Yes the car was prewired from previous owner.

-No I did not mess with any I’ll check to see if any is damage

- in the process of trying to find another distributor to try, but we did try swapping coil out but nothing.
I
Old 05-20-2019, 07:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by turboLScrx
My car was doing the same thing and it seemed to break up when vtec would engage, I was able to get that part cleared by moving some wiring inside the distributor around , but it still broke up over 68-7200 rpms. The breaking up was being caused by my distributor, I replaced the igniter and installed a stock Honda coil and cleaned up any possibilities of a bad wire inside the distributor and BAM! No more breaking up. Most break up issues are distributor related from what I’ve found
Thats exactly what mine is doin. Yes I believe it’s the distributor too cause my wires in it are cracked.

When I do find one I’ll give update
Old 05-24-2019, 04:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Anybody have any experiences with 1000cc Bosch ev14 injectors?
Old 05-24-2019, 05:12 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

I'm running Injector Dynamics 1000 cc/min injectors, and they are Bosch-style EV14.
Old 05-24-2019, 07:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DaX
I'm running Injector Dynamics 1000 cc/min injectors, and they are Bosch-style EV14.

Nice, wonder why the Bosch are cheaper... but if they are the same style then I’ll probably purchase them