Notices

JRSC or Vortech?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2005, 10:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default forced induction(turbo/supercharger)

well i think i finally figured out what im gonna do to the ole' civic. i got a 00' ex and i already decided on a b16 swap cause its simple and im a simple guy, plus it would be just like makin my car an Si. i got a few books i was reading on how to build honda horse power and it said that if your lookin for a good daily driver with good throttle response and good low end power then go for a supercharger. so i use my car everyday and im big into drag racing so i know a supercharger is the way to go. i know some of you guys like the turbo but im lookin for anybody who konws or has had experience with the different superchargers that are availble for the b16. im kinda leaning towards the Vortech centrifugal supercharger but i know the Jackson Racing roots styly blower is quicker on the draw but does not make as much power on the mid to uper range as the vortech. plus the vortech has the option for an aftercooler or an intercooler if you can make one fit. so if any body could give me a lil advice that'd be cool thanks.
Old 01-05-2005, 10:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: forced induction(turbo/supercharger) (00supercivic)

Turbo
Old 01-05-2005, 11:49 AM
Banned

Default Re: forced induction(turbo/supercharger) (coocoo32)

a properly sized turbo will give just as good if not better low and mid range response as a blower and will RAPE it top end. and can make that cool ppsshhh noise
Old 01-05-2005, 08:03 PM

I would go with a turbo, you can make a lot more power, and there's nothing like the sound of a turbo spooling. Besides, who cares about a little bit of turbo lag, my turbo lag is my traction control. Although if you do decide to go with a supercharger the vortec kicks ***.
Old 01-05-2005, 08:15 PM

Default Re: forced induction(turbo/supercharger) (GT30LSVTEC)

Have to go turbo. The sounds of the turbo and the BOV are great. They also have more power potential and many options to help w/ turbo lag.
Old 01-05-2005, 08:19 PM

Default Re: forced induction(turbo/supercharger) (cnydc2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cnydc2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Have to go turbo. The sounds of the turbo and the BOV are great. They also have more power potential and many options to help w/ turbo lag. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Plus you can crank up the boost with out replacing pullys like in superchargers...boost controllers are....
Old 01-05-2005, 11:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: forced induction(turbo/supercharger) (CivicEJ1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CivicEJ1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Plus you can crank up the boost with out replacing pullys like in superchargers...boost controllers are.... </TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 01-06-2005, 12:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

People who talk about turbo lag usually have no idea what they are talking about.

Find a local scene forum, and see if you can cop a ride in a turbo and/or SC Honda before you fork out the cash.
Old 01-06-2005, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you really want a system that is easily upgradable later on, and if your spending alot of money, how could you not want something like that
Old 01-06-2005, 09:01 AM

Default Re: forced induction(turbo/supercharger) (GT30LSVTEC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GT30LSVTEC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Although if you do decide to go with a supercharger the vortec kicks ***.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Spoken from someone who has never owned or drive a vortech powered honda, of course.

Vortech and midrange power do not belong in the same sentence, because mid range power doesn't exist.

Also, superchargers arn't even the best choice for drag racing. Best example is go look at the upper classes of NMRA racing. Turbo cars are limited to 360 inches and a 91.5MM turbo in SSO (28x10.5 tire class) but superchargers can have 440 cubic inches, and a blower with a 140 MM inducer, and the turbo cars are still running at the top.

Modified by b16coupe at 10:12 AM 1/6/2005
Old 01-06-2005, 12:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: forced induction(turbo/supercharger) (PrettyLude)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PrettyLude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> </TD></TR></TABLE>
threads could go on for years with these

Oh, and it seems to be that supercharger owners mostly whine, whereas turbo owners boast.

Modified by sir boostalot at 1:13 PM 1/6/2005
Old 01-06-2005, 02:02 PM

Default Re: forced induction(turbo/supercharger) (sir boostalot)

Good call. So i guess you have to decide whether you like to brag or if you like to whine .
Old 01-06-2005, 03:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: forced induction(turbo/supercharger) (cnydc2)

i like the cool sound
Old 01-06-2005, 04:50 PM

Default Re: forced induction(turbo/supercharger) (PrettyLude)

well i have herd more things about the turbo then the supercharger. i know the turob is cheaper but the only thing im worried about is the back pressure in the turbo manifold backing up into the motor or back in the intake manifold like i have herd about it doing. but scense ya'll seem like ya'll been doing this for a while i'll trust everybodys word on this, and i will see about ridding in a turbo, and supercharged honda before i make my choice. but if i do a turbo, can i get some opnions on the greddy kit for the Si, cause like i said i have a 00' EX and i plan on a b16 swap to make it an Si. thanks
Old 01-06-2005, 05:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

imo, you should do a custom kit, greddy is not worth it in my opinion, don't get me wrong, the fitment is really good, but the performance gets a thumbsdown from me
Old 01-08-2005, 04:57 PM

Default Re: (PrettyLude)

well im not really looking to be running more boost once i go forced induction, im lookin to just get a kit and throw it on the engine. like i said it a daily driver and i don't wanna blow it up. if i want more power i'll try other ways of gettin it. once i get out of college and have money to play with then i'll do internals and go all out with the car but for now im only lookin for somthing simple. but i still like to hear opnions.
Old 01-08-2005, 05:16 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 00supercivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well i have herd more things about the turbo then the supercharger. i know the turob is cheaper but the only thing im worried about is the back pressure in the turbo manifold backing up into the motor or back in the intake manifold like i have herd about it doing. but scense ya'll seem like ya'll been doing this for a while i'll trust everybodys word on this, and i will see about ridding in a turbo, and supercharged honda before i make my choice. but if i do a turbo, can i get some opnions on the greddy kit for the Si, cause like i said i have a 00' EX and i plan on a b16 swap to make it an Si. thanks</TD></TR></TABLE>

Why don't you worry about the huge stress the vortech blower places on your front #1 main bearing? THAT is a real problem, the "Exhaust backing up into your head" is an imaginary problem that you got stuck in your head. We tore down a friend's Camaro motor and the #1 main bearing was worn HEAVILY due to the stress put on the front of the crankshaft from the blower.

My car that I rely on every single day is turbocharged, and with a conservative tune there are no issues.
Old 01-08-2005, 06:41 PM

Default Re: forced induction(turbo/supercharger) (b16coupe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by J. Davis &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">People who talk about turbo lag usually have no idea what they are talking about.

Find a local scene forum, and see if you can cop a ride in a turbo and/or SC Honda before you fork out the cash.</TD></TR></TABLE>

for the most part... turbo lag is bandwagon material. don't pay any attention to it. Sometimes i wish i could have a little more spool time for huge top end.
Old 01-08-2005, 07:00 PM
Tad
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do some searches.
yes turbo's will come out on top.

but if you're deciding between superchargers,
definetely go with the jrsc.
Old 01-08-2005, 09:26 PM

Default Re: (Tad)

My buddy just bought one for his civic ex, bought it about 30minutes ago. Can't wait for it come in. But I still don't think it will be a problem for my Turbo GS-R. I also agree with JRSC out of the two.