Notices

JRSC issues

Old 01-11-2010, 12:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Icon2 JRSC issues

Before everyone flames all over me I have tried searching for an answer to my question and couldn't find anyone with a problem similar enough to help me. My setup is a b16a2 with a jrsc kit with the standard pulleys, my problem is that every few weeks my alternator belt comes off, it rolls over the side of the double pulley. The pulleys seem to be aligned, to me it seems that if anything is off its the crank, but i don't know how that is possible since its position stays the same. I was thinking maybe I could have someone weld me a retaining "wall" on the outside of the alternator pulley, my other thought was to shim the crank, if it is off it could only be by a little bit, however im a little reluctant to do that unless there are no other options. Also it doesn't seem to whine very much, didn't know if that was common or means something is wrong. Any input would be helpful thanks.
Old 01-11-2010, 04:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: JRSC issues

there are washers where the alternator bolts to the alternator bracket in between the small twinky shaped bracket that jackson racing provides you with for install. either your missing those washers or you have to many. there are a few places online that sell the pulleys with outer walls if you want to go that method, you also have the option to change the pulley size and up the boost if thats the case. do not modify your crank pulley, and you SC wont whine very much unless you have your throttle wide open which in most cases, also makes your exhaust wide open so its hard to hear....hope that helps.
Old 01-11-2010, 05:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I would not mess with the crank pulley . Here is a link to a page that might help ya out its post 2923 its about 3/4 way down the page . The guy who posted knows his stuff with the jrsc https://honda-tech.com/forums/showth...14810&page=117
and I crx I is correct if you have loud exhaust your not gonna hear your charger . I just put a full 3 " exhaust on mine and now I cant hear mine. All I hear is exhaust ! You hopefully have a boost gauge which tells you your boosting and helps monitor for belt slip !

Last edited by nextproject97; 01-11-2010 at 06:44 PM.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I got the kit used so I suppose I could be missing some washers, I tried very hard to make sure I had everything before the install, my thought is that the supercharger side of the double pulley all lines up spot on, so since the crank stayed where it was shouldn't the rest line up, I'm very baffled. Also I have looked to find a different pulley with walls but didn't have any luck finding one that still keeps it at 6psi if you know somewhere that sells that one please let me know that would be a huge help
Old 01-11-2010, 07:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok I read that other post and it makes no sense to me but you all are more familiar with this system then me I'm sure so when I get some free time this week I'll throw some washers in there and see what happens
Old 01-14-2010, 07:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok I checked the belt and it definitely rolls more one way than the other so im gonna start playing with washers. Also I checked my oil and it is already halfway between the dots, it was full maybe even a touch over on Saturday I know my motor burns some oil,but that seems like a lot. My friend with a jrsc on his gsr said not to hook the valve cover vent to the intake like the instructions tell you too, could that be where all my oil is going?
Old 01-14-2010, 01:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by krc91987
Ok I checked the belt and it definitely rolls more one way than the other so im gonna start playing with washers. Also I checked my oil and it is already halfway between the dots, it was full maybe even a touch over on Saturday I know my motor burns some oil,but that seems like a lot. My friend with a jrsc on his gsr said not to hook the valve cover vent to the intake like the instructions tell you too, could that be where all my oil is going?
Some will say hondas use oil if in vtec alot others will say they use no oil at all . My experience has been some oil usage especially prior to my catch can set up . However the jrsc will pull oil thru the intake and s tube more so at high boost levels.The oil is really not good for the blower rotors or the intake charge as it will contribute to detonation and cause loss of horsepower .I found a set up that seems to work very well for my jrsc here is a link http://www.theoldone.com/components/breather/
It works well and is maintenance free you can send Larry your stock breather can to modify as he did mine or have it modified locally to work with this set up here is a pic of how to hook up the hoses between the two it uses your stock breather box only a modified version.I run a GSR at 11+ psi and this set up seems to work great for me so far .One other thing you would need to do is put a slash cut tube in your intake facing the air flow I can send you a diagram of that if you decide to go this route or if you ask Larry he can send you a diagram of how to hook it up as well .Like I said it works great for me .Others may disagree but I run a jrsc gsr and like the set up very much .
Attached Images  
Old 01-19-2010, 11:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok still need help, I just went out to slap some washers on and had no luck didn't realize it needed that much disassembly. That aside I looked at that picture again and realized he didn't have the jackson provided spacer and I do so his many washers add up to my spacer. I checked the belt and it had tried to come off again, it was half over the edge, the side to side tension seemed more equal than the other day but not quite perfect. I'm at my wits end with this thing I want to keep it and have it be reliable but its on my only car and i can't risk that belt coming off once a week, especially once its summer, I autocross and drag race a fair amount and both of those event's are an hour plus from where I live. I'm considering getting the mvm stepper pulley, since it supposedly has the retaining walls, but I am reluctant to drop another $200 on this setup if I might have to sell it. Any idea would be greatly appreciated thanks
Old 01-19-2010, 05:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the alternator bracket is machined not straight. You need to machine it 90degrees
Old 01-19-2010, 06:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I have never had any issues with belt alignment . I can only share what I have been told or read that worked for others with belt issues .If you post in the "what JRSC set up are you running " thread you are bound to get a better answer or at least more ideas of what your issue may be. There are a few guys who subscribe to that thread that have alot of experience with the jrsc set ups and belt issues and they are usually willing to help out .I wish I could be more help to you but like I said my belts have never been a major problem .One note though the mvm stepper does not have retaining walls .One other thing that will help alot is if you can try to take some pics and post them .
Old 01-24-2010, 03:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

solved it just needed even more washers to align it, now I'm selling it to go turbo lol
Old 01-24-2010, 08:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's a shame about how they made the belt system on a JRSC. It would have taken very little to make it right, and they knew about it for years.

At any rate, the JRSC works fine for around 6-7 PSI of boost, once you get the belt situation sorted out, but what you really want is this:

That's a 10-rib belt, all of the pulleys have lips on the edges, and it's aligned within .001"