Notices

ITR oil pump... from search I know it flows better, but is that what I want for FI civic?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2004, 11:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ITR oil pump... from search I know it flows better, but is that what I want for FI civic?

I see there has been some threads about this already... so far I only got that it flows better. so I assume that means more oil pressure.
is that what I want for a b16 motor with drag turbo?

do I have to worry about oil restricting the oil feed to the turbo? is there any other benifits or am i better off just using the stock oil pump? also is it the same housing as stock?

thanks!
Old 08-05-2004, 12:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ITR oil pump... from search I know it flows better, but is that what I want for FI civic? (turbo

If I remember right, all the B series oil pumps move the same pressure, around 90psi. I'm running one right now and comparing it to my stock GSR oil pump, it's the same.

If you want higher oil pressure, why not shim the spring in the oil pump so it releases pressure at a higher psi?

Why bother running higher oil pressure anyway? There's more than enough pressure to go around in stock form anyway, unless you're running a cooler, turbo feed, external VTEC oil feed, in cabin guage, etc, etc, etc.
Old 08-05-2004, 12:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ITR oil pump... from search I know it flows better, but is that what I want for FI civic? (turbo

You don't want high oil pressure for turbo, it will really hurt the seals. All B series VTEC oil pumps are the same. Ask Len, he sells them for Acura. (With the exception of the casings, for the CFS)
Old 08-05-2004, 12:35 PM

no I do not want higher oil pressure... I do not want to blow my oil seals in the turbo. I was under the impression that the ITR pump has a slightly bigger gear and flows more oil...?? or is that only true for the water pump?

I'm trying to find out why so many people use the ITR pump... whats the benifit?

now people are saying they are the same...?

lets shed some light on this please
Old 08-05-2004, 01:43 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbosi03 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">no I do not want higher oil pressure... I do not want to blow my oil seals in the turbo. I was under the impression that the ITR pump has a slightly bigger gear and flows more oil...?? or is that only true for the water pump?

I'm trying to find out why so many people use the ITR pump... whats the benifit?

now people are saying they are the same...?

lets shed some light on this please </TD></TR></TABLE>

gsr and ITR water pumps are the same...both have more teeth on the spindle (can't think of the correct technical term) than the B16 and I think LS.

As for the oil pump, thats news to me??
Old 08-05-2004, 04:06 PM

oil pump is te same. If you have second guess call the dealer, part # are identical.
type r oil pump is no diffrent then a gsr (maybe the b16 as well)
Old 08-05-2004, 05:06 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hypa &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If I remember right, all the B series oil pumps move the same pressure, around 90psi. I'm running one right now and comparing it to my stock GSR oil pump, it's the same.

If you want higher oil pressure, why not shim the spring in the oil pump so it releases pressure at a higher psi?

Why bother running higher oil pressure anyway? There's more than enough pressure to go around in stock form anyway, unless you're running a cooler, turbo feed, external VTEC oil feed, in cabin guage, etc, etc, etc.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Just for the record oil pumps create flow not pressure. Oil pressure is gained when oil flows thru the oil galleys and is accumulated faster than the oil galleys capacity.