Notices

Issues with Hondata Romulator...

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2004, 12:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Issues with Hondata Romulator...

1st question... Do I need to have the blue box hooked up as well as the romulator for it to work correctly?

I only have one COM port on my lap top so I was only able to hook up the romulator. I need to get a COM to USB adapter so I can hook up the Blue box.

- I can download the rom to the Romulator, but when the car is running its extreemly lean. I can take the SAME TUNE, burn a chip and the car runs fine.
- Also the realtime update isn't working, and I assume thats because the blue box isn't connected. (I have datalogging BTW, so don't ask).

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Bryson
Old 11-22-2004, 10:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Bump.

I emailed Hondata, but in the mean time anyone with info?

TIA.
Old 11-22-2004, 10:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (Bryson)

when you say lean, is the blue box flashing when you have the rom downloaded to the romulator?

are you following the download procedures?

1. turn key to on
2. ctrl + W within romulator to download full rom (normally fuel pump with click, as the main relays reset
3. turn key off
4. turn key on, make sure CEL goes out and hondata light is solid red.
5. start

realtime can't work, as you can't connect to the ecu (F10) since you arne't plugged into it, therefore there is no connection between the two.

just run to your local compusa and pick up a serial to usb, i bought one from them for like 30 bucks and it works perfectly, after you download the correct drives off the internet.
Old 11-22-2004, 10:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yup, I did those exact procedures and the red light is solid.

Yeah, I'm gonna go pick one of those up this week and try it out.

Thanks!

Oh...and where would I find those drivers for the Compusa adapter (if I decide to get that one).
Old 11-22-2004, 10:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

http://www.iogear.com/main.php...splay

that is what i got, usb to serial palm device or something. the only thing you have to worry about is when you plug it into the usb, it can hange com port depending on which usb you plug it into. So normally i check the device manager and look at the ports, then i configure the emulator within hondata to that com port, it will flash a message, unable to communicate and then instantly connect.

to test if a car is working correctly with the romulator, after i have the car started adn it warms up, i go to the idle speed and adjust the duty cycle of the IAC, then tab off of it, so that it automatically adjusts. the idle changes immediately, so i know that it is in fact performing real time options.

for autotune, most of the time you have to adjust the min & max values from lambda to converted A/F if you have it converting A/F to stoitaic, IE 14.7:1, so min on mine is 9, max is 18. then autotune will work.
Old 11-22-2004, 01:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yo, If you go to CompaUSA get the Keyspan USB-Serial. Works great.
I would suggest not using autotune. I totally fucked up my map. It looked like mountains and valleys on my 2D map. If you do use it, be sure you have a backup.
Old 11-22-2004, 01:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah I'm not going to use the Auto Tune feature.

I have a pretty good basemap, so its not going to be that much work to get it close to perfection.

I just wanna get this thing working since I have 3 hours of dyno time this saturday.

Don't really wanna have to burn chips after every pull...lol
Old 11-22-2004, 01:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Doodoo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Doodoo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yo, If you go to CompaUSA get the Keyspan USB-Serial. Works great.
I would suggest not using autotune. I totally fucked up my map. It looked like mountains and valleys on my 2D map. If you do use it, be sure you have a backup.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i use autotune, it can help, but what happens is, it completely cluster ***** your map, then you go in and manually adjust the mountains down, normally autotune will raise one point while lowering the other, so you kind of go in the middle of both and it gets to teh same point. You just have to remember that the ecu looks at 4 points at a time, so you look at everything as a big picture look. Atleast that's what i do. once you've tuned a little bit, you don't make huge changes so the autotune doesn't do anything crazy, but initially it can be overwelming.
Old 11-24-2004, 05:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Bump.

We'll I got the Adapter, and installed the drivers (I ended up shelling out 50 bucks for this belkin thing. They were out of the Keyspan).

Hooked everything up, but its still not working. I can't connect to the blue box for some reason. I have it set to the correct port, but when I try to connect it just says "connection failed"...a few seconds later it says its "connected" but has 3-5 ers/sec and doesn't display any information.

What are your USB port settings? I'm wondering if that might be it?

Old 11-24-2004, 05:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hrmm...I wonder if I just try and run the emulator from the USB, and logger from COM instead...hrmm.
Old 11-24-2004, 05:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

we had similar issues as you are having and come to find out it was the emulator the whole time. got one overnighted from intronics and when we hooked everything up the next morning the new "remanufactured" romulator was broken, straight outta the box.......you might wanna check that out
Old 11-24-2004, 05:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hrmm...Issues like what?
Old 11-24-2004, 06:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

we could burn a chip just fine like you said, but when we were trying to emulate for sme reason the green light on the laptop in the software was showing connected and good, and the emulator power light was on but there was no ROM buffering action going on at all, im not sure if there is any self tests that an be done.

we had to call intronics and get a new one and IT was broke too
Old 11-24-2004, 10:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well it seems like I can load a file to the emulator just fine, and the car will run (no codes, no errors...ect.

But I cant seem to connect to the Logger however.

I'm gonna switch the ports around tommarow and see if that works.
Old 11-25-2004, 06:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i log via serial port and emulate via usb. it could be your ecu, i **** you not. I had a car come to me to get tuned last weekend, emulator would not work on his car, although it worked earlier. i put my ecu in and it kind of worked, but wouldnt' stay connected long enough. I think it could have just been his wiring too. IE the backup battery 12v connection wasnt' working or something.

either way, just keep messing with it, it took me a while to get everything working correctly. you know the emulator has power when it has its light on. so when you change romeditor to wahtever port the usb-serial is, the emulator light will come on.
Old 11-25-2004, 07:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (seen4ever)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by seen4ever &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i log via serial port and emulate via usb.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

For my IBM THinkPad T22, this was the only way it would work.

Old 11-26-2004, 12:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ladysman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ladysman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

For my IBM THinkPad T22, this was the only way it would work.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hrmm. Ok well I switched ports, and its still not working.

The green light on the emulator is working, and datalogging is connected. I'll load up a tune, try to change a value (changed my idle from 900 to 200), and upload the file (ctrl W) yet it does nothing.

The car just runs like nothing happened.

I guess I'm going to just have to burn chips @ the Dyno tommarow...

I hate hondata so much. If I hadn't put so much money into this setup already, I would have sold it a long time ago. My freinds AEM setup runs perfectly, and he can change things just like my old Zdyne. issed:
Old 11-26-2004, 12:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

when you hit control w to upload your map does it show a little pop-up that looks like a loading bar like on games loading? if not make sure you have your romulater setting correct. if you are in the romulater screen hit control t and the settings will pop up. go under romulation and make sure you have the settings correct. if they are correct it will say it is connected.
Old 11-26-2004, 01:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The bar does come up, but only for a second and goes away.

The settings are correct, and it says its connected.
Old 11-26-2004, 01:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you don't have to hit ctwl W after its running off the romulator. Assuming you have the real-time edit feature engaged, it should be working perfectly if it starts. you just need the real time feature engaged. crtl W downloads the entire rom, if you do this while the car is started it should turn the car off.
Old 11-26-2004, 06:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (seen4ever)

if the bar only comes up for a second then the settings are incorrect. if it comes up and goes through the whole bar then it is working correctly. if it is incorrect then the set the settings and it will most likely work

Modified by philipwight at 4:12 AM 11/27/2004
Old 11-26-2004, 06:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

call intonics,. they are familiar with hondata, AND

you may have a different version software than the romulator you have IE: version 3.5 instead of 4.0 or 4.2

see what it says on the romulator and then see what the outside window box of the rom screen says it may be different and you may have to download a new driver for it

or ship it back and ask for a new one
Old 11-27-2004, 06:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What port setting do you have it set at?
Laptop specifics?
Have you tried a different adapter?

Old 11-29-2004, 10:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ladysman)

Get rid of the Belkin, and get a Keyspan adapter. They work, and other brands are iffy.
Old 11-29-2004, 05:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mrbsponge)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mrbsponge &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">call intonics,. they are familiar with hondata, AND

you may have a different version software than the romulator you have IE: version 3.5 instead of 4.0 or 4.2

see what it says on the romulator and then see what the outside window box of the rom screen says it may be different and you may have to download a new driver for it

or ship it back and ask for a new one</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hrmm I'll check that.

Let me ask you that same question Ladysman, and I'll let you know if mine is setup differently. My laptop is an old (98) Toshiba POS, but it works. I havn't tried a different adapter, but I will If I must I guess.

Its just hard for me to keep spending money on this damn thing. I've spent well over 1200 on this hondata setup...