Notices

Internal wastegate issues DIY help. Rotating the center section helP!

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2003, 10:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Internal wastegate issues DIY help. Rotating the center section helP!

I have a 5 bolt ford turbo but with how its set up is on ainternal waste gate... I cannot put the internal on because it hits the block.

Also the ford o2 housing with the wastegate flapper cannont be used..

So I was wondering if any of you knew anything to do about the wastegate issue.. like if I used an aftermarket plate and tied in the waste gate port down the exhaust farther.

BUt I still dont know what to do about the waste gate? can you help?

Also can anyone give me some suggestions on how to rotate the center section. my oil feed and return are horizontal like this --- instead of having the feed on top towards the head and the drain on the bottom towards the oil pan.

Instead the return is like against the block. I took the bolts out and tried everything to twist it but it wont budge any help?
Old 02-27-2003, 11:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Internal wastegate issues DIY help. Rotating the center section helP! (ghettocrxsi)

Does your internal w/g look something like this?

You can just take that assembly off and get a flat T3 discharge flange and run the d/p directly off the turbine. Then you could convert to an external w/g.
Old 02-28-2003, 02:49 AM
New User

Default Re: Internal wastegate issues DIY help. Rotating the center section helP! (inspyral)

the center section should be clamped onto the exhaust housing with 6 bolts holding 2 C brackets. remove all 6 bolts and the C brackets.

loosen the 6 bolts that are holding the compressor housing onto the backplate. 2 of the bolts should be holding the actuator bracket on, while the other 4 bolts should be clamping the backplate and compressor housing together with dogbone brackets.

remove the wastegate actuator by pulling the cotter pin off the flapper valve assembly and lifting the actuator's armature upwards, then pulling off the valve and bracket from the compressor.

if your turbine is used and hasnt been spearated in a LONG time, carbon build up will stick the center section and turbine housing together, not allowing you to rotate them. use a ball peen hammer and hold the compressor section while tapping the turbine housing. watch out for your feet and swing as hard as you need to til the turbine housing loosens from the center section.

once loosened, rotate the turbine housing so the 4 bolt manifold flange is facing upwards, much like how it would bolt to your manifold in your car. rotate the center section until the oil feed is facing straight up and the oil return is straight down. this is important since oil return is gravity fed.

once you've aligned the center section and turbine housing where you need them, you can rotate the compressor housing to point the outlet the direction you need to facilitate piping installation AND MOST IMPORTANTLY to the outlet doesnt interfere with placement of the wastegate actuator.
Old 02-28-2003, 05:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Internal wastegate issues DIY help. Rotating the center section helP! (drift)

my wastegate flapper is on the o2 houseing that bolts on so I cant use it.. any options.. thanks for the replys I will go try those later today
Old 02-28-2003, 05:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Internal wastegate issues DIY help. Rotating the center section helP! (ghettocrxsi)

I cannot get it to move at all.. I beat on it with a hammer.. it moved just a little bit. So any other ideas? can I spray some wd-40 on it to break up some carbon?
Old 02-28-2003, 06:34 PM

I cannot get it to move at all.. I beat on it with a hammer.. it moved just a little bit. So any other ideas? can I spray some wd-40 on it to break up some carbon?
Keep trying, but if it's that hard, you may want to look into a new turbo, it shouldn't be stuck.
Like others said undo the bolts and turn......(or in your case pound).... ...
Old 03-01-2003, 02:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Internal wastegate issues DIY help. Rotating the center section helP! (b16ahybrid)

When I get back home tommorow I guess I will just figure out some way of holding it and then beat the **** out of it with one of my bfh. I dunno what else to do.
Old 03-04-2003, 04:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Got it done after for ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had a friend come over and smack the other side of the exhaust housing with a ball pein while I was hitting also. Thanks guys.

[Modified by ghettocrxsi, 11:45 PM 3/5/2003]