Notices

intercooler efficiency, which one?

Old 08-29-2001, 06:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default intercooler efficiency, which one?

I am stuck between two radiator cores to choose from. Both are Griffin cores with spearco endtanks. one is a top to bottom design (18x6x2.75)and the other is a side to side design(20x10x2.75). THey don't have any CFM ratings on the site. Which one would be more than likely to support up to 400-450whp with too much pressure drop?

Here's the picture of both. The 1st one is a top to bottom, the side to side is the one right under it.
http://www.roadraceengineering.com/intercoolers.htm

I'm not too concerned about looks BTW

[Modified by Slow_ass_4dr, 7:02 PM 8/29/2001]
Old 08-29-2001, 08:48 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: intercooler efficiency, which one? (Slow_ass_4dr)

I believe the top to bottom one will be better flowing....therefore less pressure loss.
And if they really wanted to , and used different turbulator cores, they can take advantage of the higher flow rate and use a highdensity turbulator so it will transfer heat better...

cause in theory, those two intercoolers can have the same frontal area, and efficiency...but since they up and down flowing one has more tubes, it equates into better internal flow area...thus better flow....the best way to make more internal flow area is not to lenghten each tube, but rather to increase the number of them, because the longer the tube, the more drag each particle will encounter.....efficiency is a matter of material and i believe some flor characteristics...but... like mentioned above, if they took advantage of the improved flow by adding highdensity turbulators, then it'llbe the better choice

But you asked as a topic about efficiency, that i can not answer, but in your post, you asked about pressure drop, the one with the more Internal flow will have less of a drop so judgeing by the picture i think the top/bottom one has a better flow

so in a sentence, the top to bottom flowing one is better.

[Modified by Ricehornet, 12:56 AM 8/30/2001]
Old 08-30-2001, 09:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: intercooler efficiency, which one? (Ricehornet)

thanks ricehornet
Old 08-30-2001, 12:48 PM

Default Re: intercooler efficiency, which one? (Slow_ass_4dr)

i was under the impression that a thicker intercooler with a smaller surface area had better cooling capabilities for a high hp application.

isn't 2.75inches a bit small for 450whp.
Old 08-30-2001, 01:31 PM
Trial User

Default Re: intercooler efficiency, which one? (bgod)

i was under the impression that a thicker intercooler with a smaller surface area had better cooling capabilities for a high hp application.

isn't 2.75inches a bit small for 450whp.
Explain your theory. I wanna hear the logic behind this...not saying your wrong, im keeping an open mind about this...but, i believe....the following is true.
1- this intercooler cores arent as great as people say they are because you must realize, the air that is flowing through the core is getting hotter the farther it travels , hence the actual cooling done by the last part (closest to the engine) is less than the one up front because, the thermal difference between the charge and the "ambient" air is growning less and less extereme. Equilibrium is almost reached and the driving force behind the change is not as great.

2- larger surface area means more air that is gonna flow through the core. Which translates into more cooling capability. The thick core will be using the SAME air front the front to the rear. However, if you had set up two thinner cores in such a way that it is a "staggard" core configuration, that would be nice space saver also if you can not get a large enough frontal surface exposure area.

Thicker IC however, FLOW charge air better with less pressure loss because it has more internal flow area. this is why you want more tubes, more tubes more more flow area...longer tubes dont. Longer tubes just mean more internal volume, which isnt always a good thing.

Turbulators (the little finny thingys) come in different varieties...high density and low density, the high density variety has better cooling potential because it squishes the air around to let each part of the stream touch the metal to transfer heat...which is good, however, this causes drag, and loss in flow rate....so...i see how a thick core would help in high HP applications when you dont have much space to make a larger IC, because it flows a lot of air, and the thicker the core, the more flow it has....so you can utilize the high density turbulators to help with the heat exchange. However, i see where the small frontal(surface) area would help this...the thick IC will still suffer for "reusing" the same stale, warm air the front section is using...

Kinda like what your radiator is feeling when you have the AC on, and boosting...

[Modified by Ricehornet, 5:40 PM 8/30/2001]