Notices

Horizontally-Mounted Intercooler???

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 04:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Horizontally-Mounted Intercooler???

Alright, bear with me here... My future brother-in-law was over today, giving me his normal insights on how I should build my new setup. Anyways... Right in the middle of his usual crap, he tells me that I should mount my intercooler horizontally behind the radiator supports, instead of vertically up front where FMIC's are normally situated..

He told me that the reason for this is because the updraft into the engine compartment is greater than the straight-on flow when you're driving at highway speed, thereby increasing intercooler efficiency...

I guess the old saying of "If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit" surely applies here..

Any thoughts on this???
Old 10-06-2007, 05:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Horizontally-Mounted Intercooler??? (B18C_EJ8)

think about it if he was right me and about 100,000 other people would have done it already

Old 10-06-2007, 05:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Did he also insist that you run an evo-style hood at the same time? That would be the ONLY reason you'd want that.

He really has no clue though. The radiator will create a pressure drop, not to mention reduce the speed of the air (not just from the p. drop). It will also be heating that air more before it hits the intercooler.

People mount them this way in some s2k's and 240's because they have extra space between the block and radiator. FWD hondas have the manifold and turbo in that location already, if not a header for rear-mounted setups.
Old 10-06-2007, 06:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C_EJ8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Alright, bear with me here... My future brother-in-law was over today, giving me his normal insights on how I should build my new setup. Anyways... Right in the middle of his usual crap, he tells me that I should mount my intercooler horizontally behind the radiator supports, instead of vertically up front where FMIC's are normally situated..

He told me that the reason for this is because the updraft into the engine compartment is greater than the straight-on flow when you're driving at highway speed, thereby increasing intercooler efficiency...

I guess the old saying of "If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit" surely applies here..

Any thoughts on this??? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Bulllcrapp The highest positive pressure is from the front lower air dam.
Old 10-06-2007, 06:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I never really believe his babble, but this time it got me thinking because I guess I was thinking that's how it was on Evo's & Suby's, so I thought maybe there was something to it...

I'll file this in the usual "bullshit" file... LOL