Notices

Im gonna heat wrap my downpipe.... question..

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 01:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Im gonna heat wrap my downpipe.... question..

I have this material at work that we use when welding big surfaces... I guess it disipates the heat well and will not light...

Im wondering if this would be good to wrap my downpipe in to reduce engine bay temps... my 3 inch downpipe is really close to my rad and slimfan...

should i attempt this? or not even bother
Old 07-12-2006, 01:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Im gonna heat wrap my downpipe.... question.. (Topdawgg)

I guess, if it's wrappable/applicable to your setup. So long as you can make it work. Otherwise the DEI wrap isn't that expensive, like $30 max.
Old 07-12-2006, 01:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have used DEI thermal wrap on almost every car's downpipe I have helped with, tuned, etc. Even my own car. I wrap from the turbine housing past the oil pan
Old 07-12-2006, 01:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Im gonna heat wrap my downpipe.... question.. (turboteg2nv)

I think I read somehere on Evans website that wrapping the DP reduces the amount of thermal expansion in the DP thus reducing the power a little bit.
Old 07-12-2006, 02:11 PM

Default Re: Im gonna heat wrap my downpipe.... question.. (96 GSR-T)

I think I read the same thing.
Old 07-12-2006, 04:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Im gonna heat wrap my downpipe.... question.. (D-meet07)

u can use the weaved fiberglass rolls also..

the price of that exhaust wrap is rediculous..
Old 07-12-2006, 04:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i wrapped mine just to lower engine bay temps, still gets hot tho i dont see how it would lower expansion that much

but then again evans knows 1billion times more than me
Old 07-12-2006, 04:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thats why i want mine wrapped.... my downpipe is like less then an inch from the front of my rad... this 3 inch was hard to fit....

Old 07-12-2006, 04:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 07-12-2006, 05:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 96 GSR-T &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think I read somehere on Evans website that wrapping the DP reduces the amount of thermal expansion in the DP thus reducing the power a little bit.</TD></TR></TABLE>

that doesn't make sense.

the wrap won't prevent it from expanding, and the piping still gets hot
Old 07-12-2006, 07:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Im gonna heat wrap my downpipe.... question.. (igo4bmx)

I know I read a discussion somewhere where a tuner said you want the downpipe hot to help expel the gases faster, once you make attempts to cool down the pipe the velocity slows down.

It didnt make sense to me either but I did read it, sure it cant hurt too much for a street car.
Old 07-12-2006, 07:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 96 GSR-T &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I know I read a discussion somewhere where a tuner said you want the downpipe hot to help expel the gases faster, once you make attempts to cool down the pipe the velocity slows down.

It didnt make sense to me either but I did read it, sure it cant hurt too much for a street car.</TD></TR></TABLE>

but the idea of the wrap is to keep the heat in, so gas velocites are higher
Old 07-12-2006, 07:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Im gonna heat wrap my downpipe.... question.. (igo4bmx)

Maybe I have it backwards, but it was said to keep the DP un-wrapped, im not arguing cause it didnt make much sense. Its a street car so wrap it.
Old 07-12-2006, 09:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I just wrapped my DP and dump....cost me about 30 bucks for a 50ft roll....it helped alot in my tiny engine bay! no more overheating
Old 07-12-2006, 10:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

or you can just get ceramic coating in and out and it will look good and also keep the heat inside
Old 07-12-2006, 10:41 PM

Default Re: (bigbadboy)

Was this thread created on opposite day? Wrap = good.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:30 PM

if humid or wet areas you might might want to re-consider heat wrap.. the moisture gets stuck in the wrap and can cause your downpipe to rust and crack.. thats why im not wrapping mine.. but i would get insulation for my oil lines you dont want to cook the oil..
Old 07-13-2006, 05:58 AM

Default Re: (You Know I Got SOL!)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by You Know I Got SOL! &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if humid or wet areas you might might want to re-consider heat wrap.. the moisture gets stuck in the wrap and can cause your downpipe to rust and crack.. thats why im not wrapping mine.. but i would get insulation for my oil lines you dont want to cook the oil..</TD></TR></TABLE>
Thats what worries me in south Florida. We get alot of rain and it's always humid.
Old 07-13-2006, 06:04 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by You Know I Got SOL! &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if humid or wet areas you might might want to re-consider heat wrap.. the moisture gets stuck in the wrap and can cause your downpipe to rust and crack.. thats why im not wrapping mine.. but i would get insulation for my oil lines you dont want to cook the oil..</TD></TR></TABLE>

But its not humid out in Nevada, is it. I didn't even think it ever rained there
Old 07-13-2006, 06:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

solution: paint your pipes before you wrap.
I painted mine with a durable high heat paint, which should prevent moisture from ever hitting the metal
Old 07-13-2006, 11:53 AM

Default Re: (havalilsi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by havalilsi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

But its not humid out in Nevada, is it. I didn't even think it ever rained there </TD></TR></TABLE>

lol.. yeah.. im from vegas.. but going to college in missouri... super humid here..

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by igo4bmx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

solution: paint your pipes before you wrap.
I painted mine with a durable high heat paint, which should prevent moisture from ever hitting the metal</TD></TR></TABLE>

but if your in a area were it rains most of the time you still in trouble.. metal even painted metal can only take so much.. thats why most cars in the midwest are rust buckets even with with layers of factory clearcoat paintjobs.. also the issue of something very hot cooling down by cold water.. and cracking.. (here is a sceneiro).. you have to drive somewhere with out covered parking or a garage.. it's raining like a madman.. you park and it is still raining.. your down pipe (aluminum is really weak metal) now cooling down by a water soaked wrap.. it's no question that heat makes metal expand and cold makes metal shrink.. but hey.. if you still want to wrap it.. go for it.. i would perfer to upgrade radiators/fans, n-tercoolers, and heatsheilds to wrap in wet areas..
Old 07-13-2006, 01:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by You Know I Got SOL! &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">but if your in a area were it rains most of the time you still in trouble.. metal even painted metal can only take so much.. thats why most cars in the midwest are rust buckets even with with layers of factory clearcoat paintjobs.. also the issue of something very hot cooling down by cold water.. and cracking.. (here is a sceneiro).. you have to drive somewhere with out covered parking or a garage.. it's raining like a madman.. you park and it is still raining.. your down pipe (aluminum is really weak metal) now cooling down by a water soaked wrap.. it's no question that heat makes metal expand and cold makes metal shrink.. but hey.. if you still want to wrap it.. go for it.. i would perfer to upgrade radiators/fans, n-tercoolers, and heatsheilds to wrap in wet areas.. </TD></TR></TABLE>

if you're getting the wrap wet, you would still get the metal wet if it was exposed...
either way its going to get wet-

and I rarely get water on my downpipe since my hood is closed when I park.
Old 07-13-2006, 02:02 PM

thats the point im trying to make... it's going to get regardless.. but wrap makes it retain moisture.. your down pipe gets wet when you drive in wet weather..

and what about snowy areas where there are build up of snow.. and it will touch the underside of your car.. your in trouble..

but each to it's own i guess..