Notices

I'll mail you a six pack to get my vtec working.....Please help! Serious Question!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 06:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'll mail you a six pack to get my vtec working.....Please help! Serious Question!

How do you wire a vehicle speed sensor, more specifically, does the signal wire go the ecu as well as the gauge cluster?

I have black to a body ground, oarnge to pinout on the back of guage cluster(can't remember but speedo works fine), and yellow to a 12v source.

Vtec isn't kicking in, I am pretty sure. When I run a wire from the oarnge vss wire to the ecu(b10) the speedo quits working. I can't figure it out.

Does the oarnge wire just go to the speedometer or does it also go somewhere else such as b10 on ecu. If it does go to both spots then why when I wire mine to b10 the speedo doesn't work?

It all happened because the wires got ripped apart when I was installing a jrsc.

Jrsc doesn't disengage vtec or something does it? I can't see it doing that, its gotta just be the damn wiring.

Please help me out, last drag race event of the season on Saturday. First time at track all summer(due to jrsc and paint job) so I would like vtec to be working.

The only cel I am throwing is cel 17.

Thanks,
98civic94gsr

Old 09-05-2006, 06:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1663660

That should help a bit.

You need your VSS to send something to your ECU so vtec can engauge. You "could" chip your ecu with uberdata/crome and disable the vss, if you wanted to.
Old 09-05-2006, 06:32 PM

Default Re: (Snafubmx234)

Yeah well thats all for a crx and its different. I need to know for a 98civic car with gsr motor. All I need to know is: Where does the signal wire go? To the speedometer, to the ecu or to both. If both where on the ecu. I've tried b10 on a p72 and the speedo quits working. I ran a brand new wire from the vss sensor to the back of the guage cluster and that is it. It seems like the ecu needs to see this signal as well to make my vtec work. As soon as I wire it to b10 the speedo stops working, and that is really stumping me. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks
Old 09-05-2006, 07:03 PM

Default Re: (98civic94gsr)

Come on guys got a nice cold 6 pack of millawakees best for some lucky guy out there!
Old 09-05-2006, 09:34 PM

Default Re: (98civic94gsr)

You have 12v and ground so that's good, on my B16 I ran the wire from the sensor to the ECU (B10 in your case, vss) and behind the dash I cut it in half and joined the two halves with the wire from the speedo signal.

If that isn't working then perhaps check your ground and 12v as you might be loosing either of them when you connect the ecu, vss and speedo together.
Old 09-06-2006, 04:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (Taurine)

my chiltons book shows the sensor getting a switched 12v from ign. a ground , and the output splits to the cluster, the ecu, and the cruise module. 94 gsr vss out is orange, a 98 civic is blue w/ white stripe, so whichever engine harness your using those are you outputs, and black should be ground, whichever wire is left(yel/blu maybe) should be switched 12v. maybe this helps. but yes your ecu has to see a speed > 20mph for vtec to work. try hooking the vss out to the ecu and not the cluster and see if vtec works. also make sure your wire going to the ecu isnt grounding out somewhere, as this would kill your vss signal also. if you have a meter you can set it to a/c 200v or lower( meters vary) and put your neg. lead on ground, and you pos lead on vss wire. it should read 12-15 vac when car is moving more than a couple mph.
Old 09-06-2006, 06:05 AM

eww who wants that nasty trailor park beer ?
Old 09-06-2006, 07:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Silverhatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Silverhatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">eww who wants that nasty trailor park beer ?</TD></TR></TABLE>

The BEAST ownz!
Old 09-06-2006, 07:09 AM
Man U FTW

check the VSS and the wiring from it
Old 09-06-2006, 07:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: I'll mail you a six pack to get my vtec working.....Please help! Serious Question! (98civic94gsr

You can keep the American beer, but the signal wire goes to both the ECU and the gauge cluster. Make a T somewhere in the line.

'88 CRX Si with an electric VSS and a '98 GSR gauge cluster here.
Old 09-06-2006, 03:35 PM

Default Re: I'll mail you a six pack to get my vtec working.....Please help! Serious Question! (98civic94gsr

Well I ran off of another 12v source because when I hooked up the signal wire to the ecu the voltage did drop. Now the voltage doesn't drop but my speedo still will not work. The speedo works but as soon as I "T" into the signal wire and run it to the ecu it quits working with a good ground, and for sure 12v supply.

Also do I have to wire it up to a cruise control module because I have not. My car doesn't have cruise control so I don't think I need to do anything right?

I thougtht for sure that was the problem when I found out it wasn't getting any power after I hooked the signal up to the ecu.

Now I know for sure I am getting power a good ground and signal going to b10 on the ecu and to the blue white wire on back of guage cluster.

Its like its shorting out the signal to the gauge cluster when I hook the signal wire to the ecu. Could that happen?

Did my vss circuit inside the ecu itself take a dump on me?

Also just so you know, I taped off the original bluewhite wire going to the guage cluster and I also taped off the original bluewhite wire going to the ecu when I ran my own. So the wiring I have done is totally independent from the original vss wiring.

This is really really discouraging.

I am ready to try another ecu to see if for some reason the vss circuit inside the ecu is shorted out or something. I don't know if that could even happen but I am out of ideas.

Where the heck are all the wiring guru's when I need one or somebody that has been through this before that got 'er done.

Well thanks again,
98civic94gsr
Old 09-06-2006, 04:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (RyanEJ8)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RyanEJ8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

The BEAST ownz!</TD></TR></TABLE>

it owns not only the trailer parks, but also the freshmen girls here at UF. haha
Old 09-06-2006, 04:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Mase)

try another ecu
Old 09-06-2006, 05:23 PM

Default Re: (JSPECSIR)

Well I got it fixed. It ended up being the wire going to the ecu. Where I tapped in at apparently wasn't b10. See I have a obda2a to obd1 harness and that kind of confused me I guess.

I was very low on gas but I thought I would take it for a rip anyways. It ran great but then going up a hill at part throttle my wideband was reading about 17.5-18-5.

It never ever did that before. I wasn't in vtec or anything.

I filled it up with a little drizzle of premium I had from the other day and took it for a spin just thinking it was low on gas. It still does the same thing with about an eighth of tank in it.

Did hitting vtec a few times screw something up?

One problem to another. HEHE gotta love it.

THanks for the help guys