Notices

Igntion Problems before boost install. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2005, 08:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Igntion Problems before boost install. Help!

I have an 02 civic ex with a Coil on plug ignition and the past few days when I cold start it, it breaks up and backfires some for the first minute or so and I see some hesistation. Well last night It started breaking up more on higher Rpms and backfires more. When I get on it, it feels like once I get to 5k the rpms start climbing alot slower then usual.I checked the plugs(Boshe platinum) and the they look perfectly white(had them in car for about 5 months). Then should be tan by now if all was well and the tips are a tad white on the ends. Im guessing that My gap may be too big,but if thats not it then where would I measure the resistance on the coil to make sure they are all working within spec? I've done this plent on distributor ign. but not on coils. anyone got any advice?
Old 02-18-2005, 08:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Igntion Problems before boost install. Help! (Hyaboosta)

COP, DIS, and Dizzy's all have the same problems. Tune the plug gap, the heat range, and make sure the wires are securely affixing to the plugs. You might want to swap back to stock-gap NGK-R plugs, and of course make sure your coils are all getting full signal.

Old 02-18-2005, 08:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

first thing is i would ditch those plugs and get some regular NGK plugs, those platinums suck teh fatt one.

second make sure the gap is correct on them, im taking it you arent boosted yet??

if so leave them at the stock gap if possible.

plugs are NOT read by the tip, if you look down into the pluf with a flashlight you will be able to see the bottom of the plug electrode, this is where you read them, it should have a colored "ring" in that area, usually brownish tan if running correctly.

also see if you may have a weak or shorted coil, this happens too
Old 02-18-2005, 10:23 AM

Default Re: (mrbsponge)

well it's not the plugs. I swapped them out for new ngk's and gap them to stock and nothing different. It feels like when i floor it the power cuts on and off . The exhaust note sounds the same and sounds loud but the car is going nowhere like it's not recieving full spark to the plugs. How do you test the coils to see iff they are ok? check the resistance? If so where in the system do I check?
Old 02-18-2005, 12:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

has your tps sensor been altered or moved or anything like that, sounds like some tps issues

or has the timing belt been thrown off, replaced or altered in any way??

could be a timing issue, could thebelt have jumped a few teeth?? mine did, 8 to be exact, car wouldnt even start
Old 02-18-2005, 05:46 PM

Default Re: (mrbsponge)

i swapped the coils and no good. It runs ok just on the very top end just drops off and stops ganing power