Notices

Weak spark problem :(

Old 07-15-2002, 03:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weak spark problem :(

Hey guys I'm still having problems with weak spark.

The weak spark problem happens when the car *warms up*. Also the car sometimes is very hard to start. The dizzy cap and rotor are fine, and the spark plugs are new (and gapped to factory specs). The ignitor module is fine. I think the plug wires are the stock ones. The battery is brand new... Oddysey 800amp dry cell... giving out about 13.9v when the car's running. The auto-elect today said that everything in the electrical system was up to factory spec.. i.e. resistance, etc etc is all fine... that's why he doubts that replacing the coil and spark plug wires will help.. but he's gonna do it anyway cos i told him to...

I bought an MSD Blaster SS Coil and some 8.5mm Magnecor ignition wires. The auto-electrician will install them tmr... he doesn't think it will solve the problem, but I'm getting him to install them anyway...

I've got a turbocharged 93 Honda Prelude Si, and the stock coil is crappy I've heard, running off a Microtech MT8 ECU. The autoelectrician said it could be the microtech not being compatible with the ignition system, and that I'll have to upgrade it to MTX8 with direct fire and multicoil pack but it will cost a few thousand.. now i dont have that much to spare.. i just wanna get the damn car on the road

Any help would be appreciated...
Thank you!
Old 07-15-2002, 04:05 AM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Weak spark problem :( (94SiSQO)

Sounds like a real gremlin you got there.

If the coil change doesn't do it for you, start looking at your grounds. A bad engine ground or a bad battery ground on the frame could easily cause the weak spark. Remember, current has to flow in a loop, so the ground path is just as important as the spark path.

I would doubt the Mircotech has anything to do with it. All it does is send a pulse to the ignitor, the ignition system does the rest. I wouldn't upgrade to discrete coils unless you really have to.

I hope the upgraded coil does the job. Good luck.
Randy