Notices

i think i need to replace my headgasket.....can i get some opinions?!???

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2006, 09:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i think i need to replace my headgasket.....can i get some opinions?!???

so ive probably put around 2000 miles on my car since it was rebuilt and tuned making 400 whp. it seems to be burning coolant now though. i check it everyday and it noticeably goes down, but i do not see any white smoke out of the exhaust, although a friend told me he saw some while i was in boost on the highway. ive been reading and it looks like i either torqued my headstuds wrong or im getting headlift. my temps go up real quick when i start the car and rise fast when i hit boost. i did a compression check not even a week ago and i got 180 175 180 180, so that checked out well and im going to do a leakdown test tomorrow. a thing i noticed is when i check my coolant, it smells terrible and im not sure why that is. i heard that a bad tune could cause headlift, but it was tuned by suprdave, and he seems to know his stuff. anyone got anymore ideas on why my car is acting up?
Old 09-09-2006, 10:02 PM

Default Re: i think i need to replace my headgasket.....can i get some opinions?!??? (civicskater)

the coolant is going somewhere, and if its not in the oil(i.e milky, foamy oil) and its not leaking anywhere, then its being burnt, and unless the block, or head has a crack its most likely the head gasket, but try a trick i learned along time ago, start the car, and walk around to the back of the car while its running, hold a dollar bill out in front of the exhaust like your trying to cover the end of the pipe with it, let go of one side and watch the dollar, if it seems like it pulls the dollar back some, it should actually blow it completely away, but 9-10 times when it pulls it backwards the headgasket needs to be replaced, i know this is a crude method, but i have found it to be reliable, but it should be obvious when u remove the head, change that bitch out, i assume you have some good headstuds and crank that bitch down to 100 ftps or so, no more head lift no more leaking head gasket, no more problems.

be sure to check the head and top of the block with a straight edge to make sure its all good- if it was me i always have the head trued up
Old 09-10-2006, 02:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

where can i take my head to get it "trued" up?
Old 09-10-2006, 02:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (civicskater)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civicskater &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">where can i take my head to get it "trued" up? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Machine shop.