Notices

White smoke from my boosted civic HELP PLEASE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2004, 10:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default White smoke from my boosted civic HELP PLEASE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

this what i wrote on another web sight
DAY 1
ok i have a slight prob i have a gsr boosted with a motec m4 tuned by tony palo and the tune on the car is perfect but when i drive the car it doesnt smoke under no boost but as soon i hit boost i see some smoke out my rear veiw and then when i let off the gas then repess the pedel its cloud its white
ive been checking my water level and i did a compression test the turbo is brand new but ben sitting up in y garage for a couple of months the only thing i can think of is when it pulls a vaccum it pull oil from the valvestem seals and cause it to smoke but i want to cyclinder leak down test anyways here is a pic of my ride

DAY 2
did do a comp test dry and they were all good all the way across and the coolant i filled up in the jug 2 days ago on max and now i checked it this morning when it was cold and it was on min but im not getting any coolant ou the edge of the headgasket but im betting its the headgasket so im changing it anyway the car has around 100k on it i m betting but if i remember whan ity was normally asperated it always spiyt out some water out the tail pipe if that make a diffrence
but i hope the head gasket solves my problem
DAY 3
well changed the head gasket and its still doing the same im back to my originall quess the turbo or the valve stem seals the turbo is brand new i just bought it but my return line has some crazy bends in it the only way to make it work though ill take pic and ask u guy what u think and how much oil do u guys run in a gsr turbo motor with a stock gsr oil pan
continued on DAY 3
look at my return line and tell me if this could be a problem its not the best pics
i really dont see a problem with it it s the only way i could get it to return and thats some very very hightemp sleeving so i touch it to see if it hot after a good run and its not even warm
that **** stays cool
but that slight up on the second pic isnt much but a hair
and i may have to much oil in the oil pan i think i put 4 3/4 of quarts i may try to change the oil and put 4 quarts tommorrow if that doesnt work ill take the turbo off and send it to get checked if thats not it its got to be the valve stem seals
let me know what yall think please

any help will be apppreciated
Old 05-28-2004, 05:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: White smoke from my boosted civic HELP PLEASE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (h22civic2)

up please help
Old 05-28-2004, 07:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: White smoke from my boosted civic HELP PLEASE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (h22civic2)

that oil return is too low in your oil pan. whenever i have done them, i try to keep it as close to the pan rail as possible, so that way you have a better chance of the oil draining, instead of getting backed up, due to the oil level in the pan.
Old 05-28-2004, 07:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: White smoke from my boosted civic HELP PLEASE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Dturbocivic)

the way the pic is it looks lower than normal but the bung right on the rail of the oil pan highest you can go with it i couldnt even weld on the back side
Old 05-28-2004, 08:15 AM
Trial User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im having the same problem now also.. i recently cracked my downpipe and while they were repairing it took everything and decided it should change the oil.. i didnt get the oring off the filter and it stuck to the block, me being in a rush to get it done, didnt check to see ifi t was leaking and went around the corner to the grocery store and home, found out it was leaking oil pretty bad..

so i removed the filter found my problem and added oil.. there was still oil in there so i was happy about that.. next day went driving to drop the car off to get the flex pipe welded on and it would smoke during boost! only when i was boosting..

im pretty sure the oil return is good b/c inline pro welded it for me.. im guessing its something to do w/ the valves as well, they were ticking pretty loud and i was tryin get them adjusted next week but now that you say valve stems i might wait and replace those also! and i think that buy running the car on low oil it killed the valve stems possibly..

sorry if i hi jacked your thread but we have similar problems and no point on making another post about it.
Old 05-28-2004, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: White smoke from my boosted civic HELP PLEASE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Boostfedb18c1)

your return line has an upward slope to it. i say fix it so it goes down into the pan rather than coming down off the turbo. then back up to the pan. and about that thing being too low in the pan. i had the same problem. and my car would smoke when i slow down because i figured as i slowed down the oil from the pan would move forward and block the hole and it doesnt let it return the oil back into the pan and the turbo is causing it to smoke. but thats just me. i hope that helps