Notices

I have some confusion on Wastegates and spring size. Can someone help clear this up?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2003, 03:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have some confusion on Wastegates and spring size. Can someone help clear this up?

Well I'm in the process of building my turbo kit for my 94 Integra LS and im up to purchasing a Wastegate. Im going to go with the popular Tial Wastegate in hopes of decreasing boost creep. I'm looking to boost about 10.5 psi, so i want the spring to be approx. that boost. From my calculations that would be .7 Bar spring. Now my question is, lets say I find a WG w/ a .65 bar spring or a .75 bar spring...do i need a boos controller to get the boost to the proper psi? i really dont trust boost manual boost controllers but like .65 bar w/ a manual boost controler...would it be a big deal to go up to like .7 or .75 bar? i dont have the money for an electronical boost controller at all. I'm on a budget so im trying to find the most affordable WG...you guys know how it is. Help me out

Thanks
Old 10-11-2003, 03:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: I have some confusion on Wastegates and spring size. Can someone help clear this up? (bigwig)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bigwig &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well I'm in the process of building my turbo kit for my 94 Integra LS and im up to purchasing a Wastegate. Im going to go with the popular Tial Wastegate in hopes of decreasing boost creep. I'm looking to boost about 10.5 psi, so i want the spring to be approx. that boost. From my calculations that would be .7 Bar spring. Now my question is, lets say I find a WG w/ a .65 bar spring or a .75 bar spring...do i need a boos controller to get the boost to the proper psi? i really dont trust boost manual boost controllers but like .65 bar w/ a manual boost controler...would it be a big deal to go up to like .7 or .75 bar? i dont have the money for an electronical boost controller at all. I'm on a budget so im trying to find the most affordable WG...you guys know how it is. Help me out

Thanks</TD></TR></TABLE>

Whats your question?
Old 10-11-2003, 03:35 PM

to clear up the general idea of a Wastegate...do manual boost controllers acutally work or do they increase boost creep...give me suggestions....

is it okay to buy a WG w/ a smaller spring and just a manual boost controller or should i just wait out and find a .7 bar WG...
Old 10-11-2003, 03:50 PM

Default Re: (bigwig)

yes,get the 6.5 spring and get a boost controller,the xs ones are the best manual boost controllers that ive heard of.i just use a cheap spring and bearing one my self.
Old 10-11-2003, 04:23 PM

Default Re: (civictypenos)

.65 bar spring will give you 9.4psi of boost, then you can use a manual or electronic boost controler to take it up to 10.5psi.....as far as introducing boost creep, it depends on the design of the boost controller
Old 10-11-2003, 04:26 PM

Default Re: (b16ahybrid)

MBCs don't really have much to do with boost creep IME. Boost creep is usually caused by not having a large enough wastegate to handle the extra flow.
Old 10-11-2003, 04:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (b16ahybrid)

hallman mbc's are also very good for the price.
Old 10-11-2003, 04:36 PM

Default Re: (turbohappy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbohappy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">MBCs don't really have much to do with boost creep IME. Boost creep is usually caused by not having a large enough wastegate to handle the extra flow.</TD></TR></TABLE>

they have alot to do with boost creep depending on the one you get and the way its made.if the spring inside has too much tension or not enough then you more than likely will spike till it has enough pressure to move the bearing inside,thats why the expensive mbc are so much versus the cheaper ones.
Old 10-11-2003, 04:37 PM

i would def. make a boost controler rather than buy one....i think its ridiculous to buy a manual boost controller when you can buy/make one for $5
Old 10-11-2003, 04:37 PM

Default Re: (turbohappy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbohappy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">MBCs don't really have much to do with boost creep IME. Boost creep is usually caused by not having a large enough wastegate to handle the extra flow.</TD></TR></TABLE>

both can contribute to boost creep equally.
A wg with and opening that is to small will obviously cause boost creep when boost i sraised beyond the flow capacity of the opening..
MBC can also cause boost creep by not opening efficiently. the most common screw/ball mdc sometimes causes creep because it doesn't open efficiently (meaning it's set for 6psi an dby the time it opens and does anything the boost has risen past 6psi)....seen it happen several times, and yes even on low boost (7psi) with a tial 35mm wg that is more then capable of handling that amount of cfm