Notices

I dunno what happened here..weird boost problem.

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2005, 05:57 AM
fjt
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I dunno what happened here..weird boost problem.

Ok i had a weird thing happening to me on the week end so im here looking for some answers..

Basics things to know:
MBC
9-13PSI spring on the WG
Stock Map sensor
Uberdata
I am running 10 PSI of boost

First..I changed something on the car..I reduced from a 3" Intake charge pipe to a 2.5". Re welded BOV,Drilled hole for the IAT sensor and JB welded it into the charge pipe..

Went for a spin and the ride felt wickedly fast...Spooled around the same rpm as with the 3" pipe but boost and rpm went up way faster..Lost traction in just a split of a second..Felt like another car..

I gave it a 1st to 3rd gear pull and it went up just crazy fast,just that the clutch was slipping(OEM clutch).When i did this i was NOT looking at my boost gauge cause im assuming it is boosting 10PSI since that was what it was set for.I gave the car like 2-3 pulls

Next day i decide to do another 1st to 3rd gear pull but this time i decided to look at my boost gauge..When i accelerate from 0 i was amazed to see 22 PSIs on the gauge..Something must be wrong damn!!! I floor it on 3rd gear and again i had to let off when i see that it went above 16PSI.. I pull over check for all connections, everything looks fine..I close the MBC go for a Spin and Nothing..20PSIs show again...I stop again and adjust the WG screw so the pounds go lower..Take it for a spin again, same result..20-22PSIs again...So im thinking either there is a problem with the Wastegate or the MBC is fed up..Disconnect the MBC vaccum and hook it up directly to the WG, take it for a spin and Rock solid 10 PSI..So i assume the MBC got broken..

Now what gets me thinking is the following:

Why did the ECU let it go past 12 PSI if im on the OEM Map sensor? SHouldnt it had thrown a CEL or something, or the car should've started sputering?(absolutelly no CEL showed and the car didnt even whined about the Extra boost)
Im not tuned yet so im running on a Basemap thats supposed to be up to 11.5PSIs..so why did the ECU let the car go up to 22PSIw/o even showing any signs of something being wrong?

BTW Im glad the Vitara Pistons hold 22PSIs , car did not overheated(OEM Radiator), iddles fine and doesnt smokes, no pinging or anything..
Old 02-07-2005, 06:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: I dunno what happened here..weird boost problem. (fjt)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fjt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok i had a weird thing happening to me on the week end so im here looking for some answers..

Basics things to know:
MBC
9-13PSI spring on the WG
Stock Map sensor
Uberdata
I am running 10 PSI of boost

First..I changed something on the car..I reduced from a 3" Intake charge pipe to a 2.5". Re welded BOV,Drilled hole for the IAT sensor and JB welded it into the charge pipe..

Went for a spin and the ride felt wickedly fast...Spooled around the same rpm as with the 3" pipe but boost and rpm went up way faster..Lost traction in just a split of a second..Felt like another car..

I gave it a 1st to 3rd gear pull and it went up just crazy fast,just that the clutch was slipping(OEM clutch).When i did this i was NOT looking at my boost gauge cause im assuming it is boosting 10PSI since that was what it was set for.I gave the car like 2-3 pulls

Next day i decide to do another 1st to 3rd gear pull but this time i decided to look at my boost gauge..When i accelerate from 0 i was amazed to see 22 PSIs on the gauge..Something must be wrong damn!!! I floor it on 3rd gear and again i had to let off when i see that it went above 16PSI.. I pull over check for all connections, everything looks fine..I close the MBC go for a Spin and Nothing..20PSIs show again...I stop again and adjust the WG screw so the pounds go lower..Take it for a spin again, same result..20-22PSIs again...So im thinking either there is a problem with the Wastegate or the MBC is fed up..Disconnect the MBC vaccum and hook it up directly to the WG, take it for a spin and Rock solid 10 PSI..So i assume the MBC got broken..

Now what gets me thinking is the following:

Why did the ECU let it go past 12 PSI if im on the OEM Map sensor? SHouldnt it had thrown a CEL or something, or the car should've started sputering?(absolutelly no CEL showed and the car didnt even whined about the Extra boost)
Im not tuned yet so im running on a Basemap thats supposed to be up to 11.5PSIs..so why did the ECU let the car go up to 22PSIw/o even showing any signs of something being wrong?

BTW Im glad the Vitara Pistons hold 22PSIs , car did not overheated(OEM Radiator), iddles fine and doesnt smokes, no pinging or anything..</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you are running uber.. like I think you are, it will just read the last column of the table, and it will go up to as high as you like, but very un tuned.. haha.

Yep, your MBC sounds screwed.
Old 02-07-2005, 07:01 AM
fjt
Honda-Tech Member

But wouldnt it throw a CEL? since the Map would be reading boost?
Old 02-07-2005, 07:06 AM

Do you have uberdata? What do you think the map does.. it reads boost.. it won't matter how much you boost, because the ecu can now interpret the boost. And if you go above the max for the stock sensor it will just read it like it is seeing the max that sensor can read.
Old 02-07-2005, 07:07 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts
Default Re: (fjt)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fjt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">But wouldnt it throw a CEL? since the Map would be reading boost?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't think with Uberdata or Hondata it will throw a CEL if you go past what the MAP sensor can read. Like stated above, it will just continue to read the last column. I think the only way the car is going to stop going is if you have a boost cut enabled.
Old 02-07-2005, 07:10 AM
fjt
Honda-Tech Member

Yes i have Uberdata..

Hmm so i got lucky nothing blew up..
Old 02-07-2005, 07:19 AM

yep, you got lucky nothing blew up.
Old 02-07-2005, 11:47 AM
something different

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow. thats a testament to the vitara pistons.

sheesh, cant believe something didnt let go.