Notices

How to tell if a installed motor is sleeved?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 07:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to tell if a installed motor is sleeved?

The topic pretty much clears it all up. Im going to look at a Civic on the jersey shore on the weekend and the owner claims its fully built. Sleeves, pistons rods etc etc, head work, and the list goes on.

Now i know how to check to see if its got pistons and rods bc well just by dropping the oil pan u can tell.

Ill be compression testing the motor but that will only say so much.

Yes, I know this is a noobie question i've just never been presented this before all input is welcome.

thanks guys.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: How to tell if a installed motor is sleeved?

i know benson stamps their blocks below the motor code...i dunno ab ge or ne others
Old 01-25-2011, 08:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah as do dart and one other company i think.

i think im just going to tell the guy hey look i want your car put im pulling the head if its sleeved itll go on my trailor if not shame on your scammer lol.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Besides a stamp on the motor, you can take off the water pump and see the sleave. Example something like golden eagle, you will be able to see the sleaves and the incorporated block guard. Open deck sleaves, it's a little harder, but you should be able to tell between aluminum and steel sleave.

Stefan
Old 01-25-2011, 08:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks. its pretty muchmostly going off of his word so we will see. what the car looks liek when i go look at it.

like i said b4 he said the head is built so if i pop the valve cover and its stock then i laugh and walk away.
Old 01-25-2011, 02:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if the car looks like a total piece and the kid doseems shady about you inspecting it then dont buy it
Old 01-25-2011, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Pull the head? That's insane , unless you guys make some sort of contract with refundable payment or something I don't see that happening.

Like previous people said, some companies have the stamp, my Benson block has the stamp right by the engine code. Ask the guy for reciepts . If you pay $1000 for sleeves you usually keep reciepts. If not, ask him who sleeved it and talk to them about said block.

But taking apart some ones car before you buy it is outraegous. I don't think anyone from Jersey would let you do that **** unless some contract was made.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mr.speaker
Pull the head? That's insane , unless you guys make some sort of contract with refundable payment or something I don't see that happening.

Like previous people said, some companies have the stamp, my Benson block has the stamp right by the engine code. Ask the guy for reciepts . If you pay $1000 for sleeves you usually keep reciepts. If not, ask him who sleeved it and talk to them about said block.

But taking apart some ones car before you buy it is outraegous. I don't think anyone from Jersey would let you do that **** unless some contract was made.
i completly understand what u mean. and i told the guy hey i will pay your asking price. show him the cash in my pocket and say. if i pull the head and its sleeved ill pay u and it goes on my trailor if i pull the head and its stock. i leave with no car and my cash. if its sleeved i have no problem having a contract or something written to say hey if its lgit ill pay if not then bye.

i asked him about the sleeves and who did the work and he said some machine shop up here i cant honestly member. but he also said he doesnt have recipts bc he just doesnt keep track of it. so we will see.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Turbo-LS
if the car looks like a total piece and the kid doseems shady about you inspecting it then dont buy it
yeah i talked to him on the phone and he is a typical jersey shore atitude. he wasnt being a dick but im sure u guys know what i mean ( no offence i like living in jersey lol )
Old 01-25-2011, 10:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

He doesn't keep reciepts to a fully built motor? That's real stupid on his part, but find the shop that did the work, they should have all the history of what's inside.

For example the car I bought supposedly had a fully built engine,700whp,sleeved,etc,etc..The guy didn't have receipts,dynosheets,empty boxes,nothing. But he mentioned the shop that put it together and I went there and talked to them and they had tracks of everything, from the motor being shipped to California to be sleeved, to being tuned by LOCASH, the dyno sheet, the 1/4 mile times, everything.

Just something to think about.

And I don't like that Jersey shore attitude either.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mr.speaker
He doesn't keep reciepts to a fully built motor? That's real stupid on his part, but find the shop that did the work, they should have all the history of what's inside.

For example the car I bought supposedly had a fully built engine,700whp,sleeved,etc,etc..The guy didn't have receipts,dynosheets,empty boxes,nothing. But he mentioned the shop that put it together and I went there and talked to them and they had tracks of everything, from the motor being shipped to California to be sleeved, to being tuned by LOCASH, the dyno sheet, the 1/4 mile times, everything.

Just something to think about.

And I don't like that Jersey shore attitude either.

yeah ill def get in contact with them.. his asking price is very fair for what it has. so i really want the car.

u have a pm.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by rev-speed
you can see pistons , rods and sleeves if you pull the pan
pistons and rods i know. how can u tell about sleeves.. thats the point of the thread.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:44 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by luvmihatch
i completly understand what u mean. and i told the guy hey i will pay your asking price. show him the cash in my pocket and say. if i pull the head and its sleeved ill pay u and it goes on my trailor if i pull the head and its stock. i leave with no car and my cash. if its sleeved i have no problem having a contract or something written to say hey if its lgit ill pay if not then bye.

i asked him about the sleeves and who did the work and he said some machine shop up here i cant honestly member. but he also said he doesnt have recipts bc he just doesnt keep track of it. so we will see.
This doesn't look good for you. No way in the world I'd pull the cylinder head off before payment. So if you don't like it anyway, he's out of time and a head gasket to boot. Have a contract made, with his address and information. If its not sleeved like he says, take it small claims court. if he doesn't show, you win, plain and simple.

But I know he wouldn't be willing to remove the head just to try and prove to you its sleeved unless it wasn't assembled to begin with.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
This doesn't look good for you. No way in the world I'd pull the cylinder head off before payment. So if you don't like it anyway, he's out of time and a head gasket to boot. Have a contract made, with his address and information. If its not sleeved like he says, take it small claims court. if he doesn't show, you win, plain and simple.

But I know he wouldn't be willing to remove the head just to try and prove to you its sleeved unless it wasn't assembled to begin with.
yeah i understand that. ill just have to go look at it. if i pull the valve cover and the pan and i can see a built head and pistons and rods then ill take his word for it. we will see.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Pull the water jacket plug on the front of the block and you should be able to see in there or put a magnet and tell if it's a wet sleeve ( the magnet will stick to a dry sleeve but it should be obvious). Dry sleeves are probably something you would rather stay away from anyhow. Not that dry sleeves are horrible, just not as thick. If you can get your hands on a bore scope you will be able to see in the cyl through the plug holes, chances are if it has pistons it has rods.

Anytime you have doubt it's best to no go forth.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by luvmihatch
yeah i understand that. ill just have to go look at it. if i pull the valve cover and the pan and i can see a built head and pistons and rods then ill take his word for it. we will see.
how confident are you in "some local machine shop" to install honda sleeves. Even if the motor is sleeved, I'd be concerned about the quality of the work. And unless you can figure what shop did it and do some research, then I would be hesitant to buy it.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

very true. but im sure ill def call the machine shop and get some feed back.

never thought about the water jacket trick thanks
Old 01-27-2011, 09:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if your pulling the pan you can see the bottom of the sleeve. Dont know if you can tell what it is from the bottom but you can see it
Old 01-27-2011, 10:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Contact machine shop, check paperwork trail. If they kept track of the engine's serial number, verify with the motor. It's not 100% foolproof, but it's a good way to verify the person's character. Also just because someone has reciepts doesn't necessarily mean the same motor is still in the car. (ask me how I know)

Or bring along a new head gasket and tell him you're pulling the head off. If he wants to get the sale, he'll agree if he has nothing to hide. If it doesn't check out, offer to sell him the headgasket and labor to put things back. LOL!