Notices

How to P&P?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2002, 12:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to P&P?

OK here the deal i'm buying a head to build for my turbo motor. It's gonna get the cams, springs, and retainers treatment. I can put all of those on myself. I'm wanting a nice flowing port job on the head. I know it's relatively easy to do the intake and exhuast ports with simlple hand tools and some sand paper. Since the LS head prolly flows the worst of any B-series, it's really need this done. I was just wondering if anyone could maybe post up some good techniques of pictures of how the finished product should look when ported out.
Thnax, Steven

Old 03-01-2002, 03:03 PM
Banned

Default Re: How to P&P? (Speed PHreak)

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=136768

i recommend just buying that
Old 03-01-2002, 03:57 PM
Trial User

http://www.importparts.com click on drag turbo kits....

now tht wasn't so hard was it?
Old 03-01-2002, 03:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm wanting a nice flowing port job on the head. I know it's relatively easy to do the intake and exhuast ports with simlple hand tools and some sand paper.
What do you mean by simple tools? A hammer, a screwdriver and some sandpaper? I dont know man, I wouldnt let you come close to my car.
J/K

But seriously speaking, you need to let someone who knows what theyre doing do it. Even with a dremel it takes hours. Who knows with Sandpaper maybe weeks or months. FYI Ive watched 8 second 1/4 car builders port heads and they take a dremel tool working the inside channels of the head while leaving the outer ports stays practically the same size. Im just telling you this cause I wouldnt want you to mess something up.
Old 03-01-2002, 03:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How to P&P? (GSRwBOOST)

Heh, you are so helpful jake... ?? =P
Old 03-01-2002, 08:51 PM

I am no expert in porting and polishing.. but I have done around 5 cyl heads, I think one of the most important things is try to spend an even amout of time per runner. I also like to hog out alot where the bowls sit at.. Some dont's Try not to take alot of material off the exhaust floor, and do not enlarge to port to some crazy size.

I use a die grinder with a carbid bit tip to do all my hogging. then a dremel 50grit to smooth everything out, then if you want it polished get some good metal polish and the (METAL POLISH KIT) for the dremel and just go to town..

I avg spend around 12-15hours on my heads.. they take alot of time..

this is my zc head, btw I dont do this as a side job.

Jeff
Old 03-01-2002, 11:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How to P&P? (AbaZ)

Guy, you are not going to be able to do even a decent port and polish with a dremel and sand paper unless you have about 3 weeks of free time. Even with the proper die grinding tool and porting bit, with an agressive enough tooth, and a sanding bit, it would take you somewhere in the region of 12-15 Hours to do a good job.

I don't recommend you attempt this on your own as you can lose Hp if you do not know what you are doing... just porting is not guaranteed to make Hp. Much less with a dremel.

But if you feel you must do it yourself, at least rent a die grinder and buy the bits... About $90-$120 for the porting bit and $20-$30 for the sanding bits.

Good luck !
Old 03-02-2002, 06:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How to P&P? (X2BOARD)

use a dremel
Old 03-02-2002, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How to P&P? (SiRkid)

a small dremel will not do the job. I have a large dremel where the motor hangs from my work bench and there is a small handpiece with 1/4 inch shank that is cable driven. Speed is varied through a foot pedal. that way you can have two hands on the actual grinding tool. You do not need something that spins at 30000 rpm, I've always found that going a little slower is better. Dont let this discourage you, find a junk head somewhere and practice, that is how I learned.