Notices

How to inspect a turbo for possible rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2005, 03:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to inspect a turbo for possible rebuild?

this weekend i'll be tearing down my coupe to change around the I/C piping setup.over the past year the car has started to smoke pretty heavily under boost.a compression test has shown factory specs,although i haven't done a leakdown test yet.while i have the turbo off i'd like to try to find out if maybe it's the reason for the smoking,and needs a rebuild.can anybody direct me to a site with any info?all i can find with Google searches iand searches on here is just "check for shaft play".i know that excessive play means a rebuild,but how much is excessive?any other things to look for?
basically,i'm preparing the car for a major engine build over the next year-a completely built block,big turbo and (hopefuly) BIG power.i have some money set aside right now that i can either buy a new B18C1 longblock to throw in while i build my current C1(i have a line on a good deal on a great condition C1),or go ahead and buy the turbo i'll need for the future build.if the motor is worn out,and the reason for the smoking,i'll go ahead and buy the newer C1 to run until the built motor is done.if the turbo is shot,i'll have to weigh the costs of a new turbo versus rebuilding my current turbo....point is i've got to first figure out if the turbo or the motor(or maybe even both)is the reason for the huge,billowing clouds of oil smoke-i know how to find out of the motor is worn out,i don't know how to find out if the turbo is.
THANKS
Chris