Notices

how do you know if the stock fpr is bad?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2004, 10:49 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how do you know if the stock fpr is bad?

i got white smoke blowin out the tailpipe again... and my car is bogging like a ****. as much as my car is already in bad shape... im noticing mid-low fuel readings on my air/fuel guage at WOT. during WOT, white smoke blows out like a smoke screen and i hear a pinging-fluttering noise comin from the engine bay while the car bogs. i checked the fmu and diaphragm still looks good. could it be a bad stock fpr? symptoms? suggestions? my car runs fine other than at WOT... no more boost because of a blown turbo. need some tech advice!
Old 03-22-2004, 08:05 AM
New User

Default Re: how do you know if the stock fpr is bad? (SIK IN DA HED)

someone has to know somethin.
Old 03-22-2004, 09:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you have an under-hood fuel pressure gauge?

If so, look at the fuel pressure at idle.

Then disconnect the vacuum line from the stock FPR and pinch it. The fuel pressure should rise about 10 psi.

If you're running an upgraded pump, the pressure may or may not change since the upgraded pumps tend to overwhelm the stock FPR.

Sonny
Old 03-22-2004, 10:38 AM

White smoke is coolant, black smoke is fuel.

If you were rich enough to blow fuel smoke out the tailpipe, you would be able to smell it..
Old 03-22-2004, 11:23 AM
Smarter than you

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Usually when an FMU or FPR go bad it just floods.. The car will bog alot and it will smell like fuel... like KPT said white smoke isn't fuel so you might have two different problems or maybe a headgasket I hope not.
Old 03-22-2004, 11:28 AM
New User

finally, some replies! thanks, guys. problem is.. i think im running lean. so if my stock fpr was bad... it would most likely run rich instead of lean.. correct?

as for checking the fuel pressure... the inline and the fuel pressure guage doesnt like each other. i usually have to disconnect the inline. other than that... im not sure if its the headgasket or the turbo seals thats causing the white smoke. when my car bogs like crazy... i feel like im in the SPY HUNTER game tryin to get rid of my enemies. blown headgaskat? turbo seals causing smoke to burn into the downpipe? maybe... but what the heck is up with the bogging and my air/fuel guage readings yellows and reds at WOT? i cant figure it out.
Old 03-22-2004, 11:32 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts

One of my 914's used to white smoke on hard left cornering only...then one day it whitesmoked constantly and ran kind of shitty. Got home and pulled off the left head and I had dropped both exhaust valve stem guides [for the same cylinder] which in turn melted the piston and destroyed the combustion chamber and the valves. The white smoking on cornering was oil getting past the loose seals and guides and burning. When the guides finally dropped, the broke into pieces, went into the combustion chamber and made hot spots and welded themselves to the pistons/valves/combustion chamber.

//end lament

The point is, your white smoke could be oil...don't look past it.
Old 03-22-2004, 11:36 AM
New User

Default Re: (DaX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DaX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The point is, your white smoke could be oil...don't look past it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes... and i am almost positive it is. i guess im mixing two problems into one thread. why my car is bogging... if its related to the fuel pressure leaning out... and whats causing the white smoke screen. i already know my turbo seals are blown... my turbo is pretty much kaput.