Notices

How do I learn how to tune?

Old 01-22-2003, 04:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I learn how to tune?

I want to be able to tune my own car. I find the whole concept fascinating. Guess I'm just weird like that. But I don't know anything about it. Can someone direct me to either websites or books that I can get that have good information. Treat me as someone with absolutely no knowledge(cause that's what i am). I'm not sure which EMS i want. Leaning towards Hondata due to ease of tuning from what I've heard. I have done a LITTLE bit of reading on the AEM autotune feature but I just don't see it being that easy. Any help will be greatly appreciated. I'm midway into buying parts for my project and while i'll have it professionally tuned at first, i want to be able to maintain it myself.
Old 01-22-2003, 05:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: How do I learn how to tune? (symba)

What car is this for?

About 2 years ago I didn't know jack about the Apexi PFC for the RX7, but after reading the online .PDF manual for it and hangin out on http://www.rx7club.com 's PFC forum I was able to get a grasp of the many different features of the PFC.

If there is a PFC application for your car I would recommend it...the Apexi PFC is probably one of the easier to learn standalones in the market.
Old 01-22-2003, 05:11 AM

Default Re: How do I learn how to tune? (BlueShadow)

I was just about to make the exact same post.. I also used to own an Rx7 .. Turbo II.. I've tuned with both AFC's and AIC's.. but never standalone.. I really would love to get the new AEM standalone and try to tune it.. I understand the whole Fuel map concept and retarding per psi of boost and all.. I am just scared about how to tune the ignition map.. Do you tune the Fuel first? I think you are supposed to have a base ignition map to go off of.. is that the stock fuel map though? or should you set the whole ignition map to like 18 BTDC? i know the stock ign map is most advanced at high RPMs which is bad! any help on ign tuning?
Old 01-22-2003, 05:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How do I learn how to tune? (spike)

I was just about to make the exact same post.. I also used to own an Rx7 .. Turbo II.. I've tuned with both AFC's and AIC's.. but never standalone.. I really would love to get the new AEM standalone and try to tune it.. I understand the whole Fuel map concept and retarding per psi of boost and all.. I am just scared about how to tune the ignition map.. Do you tune the Fuel first? I think you are supposed to have a base ignition map to go off of.. is that the stock fuel map though? or should you set the whole ignition map to like 18 BTDC? i know the stock ign map is most advanced at high RPMs which is bad! any help on ign tuning?
Well, most people dont start off from scratch--the best thing to do instead of doing it all from scratch is to borrow some base maps from somebody that has a similar setup to what you plan on running.

When I finally figure out my AEM I plan on using Quualudes EMS maps as a base map, we have identical setups and his maps are just to get me going. His maps should be good enough to get me to a dyno where I can fine tune the maps based on my specific setup, temperature, etc.
Old 01-22-2003, 05:57 AM

but what if you can't find a base map? I just want to know for tuning in general.
Old 01-22-2003, 06:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How do I learn how to tune? (spike)

but what if you can't find a base map? I just want to know for tuning in general.
Did you just want something to fool around with in AEMPro? There's bound to be someone running a similar setup to what you plan on running on your car.

-what motor?
-what injector sizes?
-turbo or super?
-how much boost?

Here were mine
-H22A4
-450cc (DSMs)
-turbo
-7 PSI

Quualude was the person with an identical (almost) setup and a good map.
Old 01-22-2003, 06:10 AM

i was just thinking worst case scenario.. a guy i used to know had a standalone on his corrado vr6 turbo and made something like 760hp at 32 psi.. just wondering where he started with when tuning .. he does all veedub stuff.. but still same concept.. http://www.schimmelperformance.com