Notices

how to break in fresh rebuild..with or with out turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 04:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to break in fresh rebuild..with or with out turbo?

i just finished my zc rebuild, i got new rods/pistons, bearings, arp headstuds...a oem hg., for the head i got new valves and springs, and cam regrinds from delta, and also adj. cam gears..... and a new clutch from lsdmotorsports.com

the turbo i will run will be a t3 (.42/.48) with a hf mani, dsm blue tops, 5"fmic...with turbo edit

so now i need to know how to break in the motor, should i do it n/a or can i throw the turbo on during break in??
Old 01-13-2006, 04:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: how to break in fresh rebuild..with or with out turbo? (hatchinprogress)

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=878397

platinum.
Old 01-14-2006, 07:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how to break in fresh rebuild..with or with out turbo? (platinum00)

thanks for the link!......is that the only way people break in there motors?
Old 01-14-2006, 09:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how to break in fresh rebuild..with or with out turbo? (hatchinprogress)

I personaly used the link below, but i think most people on here are now using earls way.

http://mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

platinum.
Old 01-14-2006, 10:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks again
Old 01-14-2006, 10:36 AM

Your not planning on running that turbo setup on your built motor for long are you? That's a waste of a built motor... (unless that's OEM rods/pistons). Still too small of a turbo if ya ask me.
Old 01-14-2006, 10:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how to break in fresh rebuild..with or with out turbo? (beerbongskickass)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by beerbongskickass &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Your not planning on running that turbo setup on your built motor for long are you? That's a waste of a built motor...</TD></TR></TABLE> well i was going to use this when i thought a t3 is big (my 1st turbo was a t-25) but now that i've learned ill need more power ....ill end up changing the turbo when i got more $$ (the build costed more than i thought it would)
Old 01-14-2006, 10:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how to break in fresh rebuild..with or with out turbo? (beerbongskickass)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by beerbongskickass &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Your not planning on running that turbo setup on your built motor for long are you? That's a waste of a built motor... (unless that's OEM rods/pistons). Still too small of a turbo if ya ask me.</TD></TR></TABLE> oh my bad...the only thing that is "stock/oem are the gaskets/seals i went with eagle rod's and srp pistons (standard bore....didnt wanna weakin my sleeves) according to the comp. calc. my comp. should be around 9.1:1
Old 01-14-2006, 10:45 AM

I'd defintely go with a t3/t4. A gt28rs would be a nice street turbo also.
Old 01-14-2006, 10:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by beerbongskickass &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'd defintely go with a t3/t4. A gt28rs would be a nice street turbo also.</TD></TR></TABLE> is the rest of my turbo "set up" good enough to handle a bigger turbo?[QUOTE=hatchinprogress]
a hf mani, dsm blue tops, 5"fmic...with turbo edit
QUOTE]
Old 01-14-2006, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

break it in without the turbo, because you would need to break in your clutch too. also it will be alot easier to find the cause of problems n/a.
Old 01-14-2006, 12:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how to break in fresh rebuild..with or with out turbo? (null.)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by null. &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">break it in without the turbo, because you would need to break in your clutch too. also it will be alot easier to find the cause of problems n/a.</TD></TR></TABLE> yeah thats what i've been told, which ive been trying to avoid because i dont have the stock exhaust mani.
Old 01-14-2006, 01:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

nice link
Old 01-15-2006, 05:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how to break in fresh rebuild..with or with out turbo? (scoop)

I took my car to the dyno with 20 miles on the engine and made 300 whp, been pounding it ever since.
Old 01-16-2006, 01:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how to break in fresh rebuild..with or with out turbo? (TurboTeG4)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TurboTeG4 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I took my car to the dyno with 20 miles on the engine and made 300 whp, been pounding it ever since. </TD></TR></TABLE> damn...... how did you drive it the 1st 20 miles?
Old 01-16-2006, 06:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have the whole programmable hondata setup s200, so I base mapped it and just used slight throttle, was going mostly downhill, you cant mess it up, put it in neutral, coast it etc. Oh and I had new clutch, flywheel etc. etc. all broke in on the dyno.
Old 01-16-2006, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TurboTeG4 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have the whole programmable hondata setup s200, so I base mapped it and just used slight throttle, was going mostly downhill, you cant mess it up, put it in neutral, coast it etc. Oh and I had new clutch, flywheel etc. etc. all broke in on the dyno.</TD></TR></TABLE>did/ do you have it turbo'd? and was it boosted during break in?
Old 01-16-2006, 09:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh yes, I had the turbo and everything in, put a base map in took it to the tuners, tuned it to 300whp and been driving it ever since. The rings is the only thing that needs to break in.
Old 01-16-2006, 11:58 PM

My last build i topped it off with some Walmart .99 cent/qrt 5w-30, let it warm up real good, and checked for any leaks. Then took it out and slowly started off with some 2nd & 3rd gear pulls, each time increasing in RPMS. I did this for about a mile. I noticed that at first when hitting boost it would smoke pretty bad, then gradually stopped smoking all together, then i hammered it somemore till about 40 miles. Came back home, changed the oil with the regualar Castrol 10w40 that i use, and drove it somemore. At 100 miles it had 150psi across the board, which was about right where i should have ended up with with low comp i was running. Oh yeah, this was done on 6 psi, running off the wastegate spring.

I was boosting 15psi at 500 miles with no problems. The stock fuel pump ended up failing on me at about 2500 miles and broke ring lands.

I don't think it really matters if you break it in with boost or not.
Old 01-17-2006, 12:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how to break in fresh rebuild..with or with out turbo? (sohc_turd)

i cranked my car and let it idle for 30 minutes, took it for a drive, immediatly started over heating, lol. took it back, bled the coolant. went for a drive, pegged out the temp gauge. went back. filled it back up. drove to work next morning, drove for 20 minutes at low speed and rpm with the temp gauge pegged out. finally got it all air free but was running like ****, so 250 miles later i finally got it on the dyno, and revved it to 8000 and made 240 at like 7-8 psi. beat the **** out of it until 1000, made 404 whp. then got new manifold went back at maybe 5000 miles and made 515 whp. Still taking a pounding daily driven. Breakin is not as difficult as people say it is. just use your judgement. your motor breaks in in the first 30 minutes from just idling. the first 20 miles are crucial for ring seat. I reved mine up and deceled down several several times to promote seal until it overheated then went back and refilled and commenced decels. Motor is still making power. I broke it in with the turbo on it by the way. made the turbo glow red hot from really bad tune, haha. Motors can really take a beating.
Old 01-17-2006, 04:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how to break in fresh rebuild..with or with out turbo? (SPOOLINmatt)

thanks for the advise guys
Old 01-17-2006, 06:45 AM
something different

i used regular oil, and let it idle for about 30-45 minutes while we were sorting out the idle. (had a problem with the MAP sensor wiring-2.5bar motorola)

we then drove it around and sorted out the partial throttle (had the full turbo setup on it when started) drove it around, tuned all the way up to like 4k, partial throttle, no boost.

drove it about 100 miles, hit boost a bit, and it smoked a bunch (added a TON of fuel up there to be somewhat safe)
we then tuned the boost map a week later, and its been good since. a good buddy of mine broke his new engine in the same way (his was a z6 with vitara's and eagles, mine was an a6 with SRP's and eagles.