Notices

hondata noob

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2005, 01:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hondata noob

ok i have a 2001 LS Integra that i will be boosting. i have almost all the parts but the engine management. i want to get a hondata unit. im thinkin s200 with boost. now thats gonna run me about 450 or so. now the funny part that i don't understand, i have to get an OBD1 ecu right? so in that case I would want a P28 or P74 correct? now on hondata's website, it says that i have PR4 ecu and thats combatable with the s200B unit. so do i have to get an OBD2 to OBD1 harness or do i have to get a new ecu all together? please if someone could more or less tell me what i should get that would be great help. please help help help!!!!
Old 01-12-2005, 02:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: hondata noob (bk11383)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bk11383 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok i have a 2001 LS Integra that i will be boosting. i have almost all the parts but the engine management. i want to get a hondata unit. im thinkin s200 with boost. now thats gonna run me about 450 or so. now the funny part that i don't understand, i have to get an OBD1 ecu right? so in that case I would want a P28 or P74 correct? now on hondata's website, it says that i have PR4 ecu and thats combatable with the s200B unit. so do i have to get an OBD2 to OBD1 harness or do i have to get a new ecu all together? please if someone could more or less tell me what i should get that would be great help. please help help help!!!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

YOu must have an OBD1 ECU so the one you have won't work. Either the P28 or P74 (LS) will work. Use whatever is cheaper. Only reason you would need the P28 is if you had (or wanted eventually) VTEC (put a VTEC head on it).

Yes, you would need a conversion harness.
Old 01-12-2005, 03:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: hondata noob (ladysman)

ok so all i would need then is the harness and i would be all set using my pr4 ecu correct?

and also when people say "socket the ecu" what do they mean exactly? do they place a new ecu in or do they add stuff into the ecu? what? im confused

and also, anyone know where hondata is on sale at this moment? best i have gotton so far is 450 for S200B and 85 for the harness.
Old 01-12-2005, 04:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bk11383 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok so all i would need then is the harness and i would be all set using my pr4 ecu correct?

and also when people say "socket the ecu" what do they mean exactly? do they place a new ecu in or do they add stuff into the ecu? what? im confused

and also, anyone know where hondata is on sale at this moment? best i have gotton so far is 450 for S200B and 85 for the harness.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Re-read what I posted AGAIN for your first question.
THey add a "socket" to the ecu board as well as another stuff.
Old 01-12-2005, 04:31 PM

There are cheap options if your on a budget.

http://www.pgmfi.org/
http://www.ecimulti.org/uberdata/

Hondata is just software anyways, the actual parts to socket/chip your ECU are only like $20. The little blue box you get with Hondata doesn't have anything to do with performance, it's just a security device. Your basically just paying money for the brand name.
Old 01-12-2005, 05:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: hondata noob (beerbongskickass)

you're kidding right?
Old 01-12-2005, 05:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

haha, I don't think he is kiding. I think it is just an interface box.
Old 01-12-2005, 06:40 PM

Default Re: hondata noob (SneezR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SneezR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you're kidding right?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not kidding...

Read the second post in this thread... http://www.evans-tuning.com/viewtopic.php?t=17

I actually bought a used hondata 2b before I knew what it was. When I got the package and realized it was just a few little pieces you can get at radio shack and a chip, I quickly sold it and went uberdata...
Old 01-12-2005, 07:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So here I am always reading how hondata is god like for engine management, appears that the majority of the members are using it. Sort of reminds me of Microsoft... there are free alternatives

I am perplexed.

I just checked out http://www.ecimulti.org/uberdata/ and it appears that the newest version has data logging
Old 01-12-2005, 07:56 PM

that is correct. And check the web site out, there are alot more things to come. just not on stable versions. They are great and I can't wait untill they are ready for everyone else to use.
Old 01-12-2005, 08:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (93turbo16)

As I am going JRSC very very soon I was actually in the market for a used hondata which was gonna set me back 450$~ this is great. Now I just have to read up some more about this uberdata. Does anybody know how to tune uberdata in socal?
Old 01-13-2005, 09:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by beerbongskickass &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Not kidding...

Read the second post in this thread... http://www.evans-tuning.com/viewtopic.php?t=17

I actually bought a used hondata 2b before I knew what it was. When I got the package and realized it was just a few little pieces you can get at radio shack and a chip, I quickly sold it and went uberdata...</TD></TR></TABLE>

To add, he isn't kidding. I am a Hondata user who is putting uberdata in my daily driver just to learn it.
Old 01-13-2005, 03:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yup, just like beerbong and the other guys said the box that Hondata comes with is just scrambler device. I've been told the same thing by another reliable source.

I was gonna go with Hondata because I was afraid of doing my own chip burning and tuning. But I went ahead and got Uberdata instead and I'm glad that I did. burning chips is a breeze, and learning how to tune doesn't look too hard. I still have to get my ECU's socketed by somebody else, but that's only cause I dont know how to solder. I'll learn how to do that soon enough though.

Anyways for more info on Ubderdata you should visit the uber forums:

http://www.ecimulti.org/uberdata/forum/
Old 01-13-2005, 04:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: hondata noob (BlueShadow)

honestly soldering isnt all that difficult. All you need is the solder and the feed. Ive modded my xbox myself.
Old 01-13-2005, 04:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SneezR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">honestly soldering isnt all that difficult. All you need is the solder and the feed. Ive modded my xbox myself. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Agreed. I have been soldering for years from RC Car racing (that I still do today)

I have also modded at least 4 xboxes. Best thing since sliced bread.
Old 01-13-2005, 04:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SneezR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">honestly soldering isnt all that difficult. All you need is the solder and the feed. Ive modded my xbox myself. </TD></TR></TABLE>

That's what they all say, lol

I have my spare 91 DX ECU which I was gonna toss out. But I think I'm gonna keep it and practice soldering and desoldering on it. Could I get ALL the stuff needed for soldering and desoldering from radio shack?

like an iron with a fine tip, desoldering braid and what else?
Old 01-13-2005, 05:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: hondata noob (BlueShadow)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlueShadow &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

like an iron with a fine tip, desoldering braid and what else?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I do not like braid. I use a desoldering tool that is vacuum.
Old 01-13-2005, 05:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ladysman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I do not like braid. I use a desoldering tool that is vacuum.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Which one is easier to use and less expensive? remember I'm a complete nooB to soldering

**THIS THREAD HAS NOW OFFICIALLY BEEN HIJACKED** hehehe
Old 01-13-2005, 05:06 PM

braid is a very nice thing to have beside you if you do not have a good desoldering station. It helps clean up any mess. But once you are good there isn't a mess.
Old 01-13-2005, 05:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (93turbo16)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93turbo16 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> But once you are good there isn't a mess.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, no messes here.

I still don't like braid.
Old 01-17-2005, 05:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok well I finally figured it out. I had a buddy of mine tell me step by step what I need and what i needed to do. This will be for the noobies like me that just don't get it.
1. Hondata if you are using that.
2. You can use your OBD2 ECU but you will have to get someone to solder in a OBD1 ECU, ie P06, P28, P72, P74 ect. http://www.hondata.com will have all of this info. also I found out that hondata will do the socketing (soldering an OBD1 ECU) for you if you want them to. Think its costs 50 bucks or so. I am having someone that is a hondata dealer socket mine, if it goes bad, send it back and they'll fix it.
3. You will need an OBD2 to OBD1 harness. Only necessary if you are using your orginal ECU box.
This is as much as I have figured out so far, I can't wait to install it and learn some more about tuning.

Thank you ladysman for trying to show me the way, sorry that I just didn't get it. and also braid is the way to go in my opinion. theres no mess if your goos with it never used the vacuum thingy that you use, maybe i'll give it a try

thanks again HT for everything