Notices

hondata nitrous control solenoid probs, help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2003, 07:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default hondata nitrous control solenoid probs, help!

I been on the spray for over 4 years. Never had a problem with solenoids failing. Always used the nos powershot#16020. Earlier this year I started using Hondata nitrous controls. It's fairly simple setup. Using my a/c input terminal on ecu to arm the stystem and the output terminal on ecu that used to engage the a/c clutch now grounds out a relay that sends power to my nitrous solenoid to fire it.
Long story short, in the last 4 months I have toasted 3 of the #16020 solenoids, 1 on the dyno and 2 at the track. They are sticking open on me, take them off and test them with 12v and ground and they don't even click (open). What is weird is that they are failing and staying in the open state. NOS tells me that when the coil inside them fails they return to their natural state being closed. They said the only thing that will hold that solenoid open is debris. I'm good friends w/ my nitrous supplier and they haven't changed anything, they have a filter on their tanks and I have one on my setup. Take the solenoid apart and it looks fine.
The only 2 variables I've changed is the hondata nitrous controls and the amount of nitrous I'm spraying (larger shots).
They way they are failing with the coils crapping out and everything I'm starting to think it's electrical, any input or experience is greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Craig
Old 09-06-2003, 09:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: hondata nitrous control solenoid probs, help! (GITWIDIT)

get rid of that mickey mouse size solenoid..those powershot solenoids have always had issues.I found that out way back(1987) when I bought my 1st NOS kit..Swap them out for Cheater Solenoids which have the big coil inside...
Old 09-06-2003, 01:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: hondata nitrous control solenoid probs, help! (D-Man)

thanks for the advice, i'll try it
Old 09-10-2003, 11:44 AM

Default Re: hondata nitrous control solenoid probs, help! (D-Man)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by D-Man &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">get rid of that mickey mouse size solenoid..those powershot solenoids have always had issues.I found that out way back(1987) when I bought my 1st NOS kit..Swap them out for Cheater Solenoids which have the big coil inside...
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I have had two experiences with a ls1 using the powershot dinky solenoids and the same thing happened to him.....he changed to a nx kit and eveything is fine and dandy
Old 09-10-2003, 11:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: hondata nitrous control solenoid probs, help! (redlinegsr)

I'm about to find out if my ZEX solenoid will hold up to 125 shot. According to ZEX they claim the solenoid should hold up to 175-200hp worth of nitrous.
Old 09-10-2003, 12:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: hondata nitrous control solenoid probs, help! (RyanCivic2000)

yeah, the NOS #16020 is rated on there website up to 175 poop on them.
good luck ryan, can't wait to see your #'s
Old 09-10-2003, 12:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Step up the cheater or the PRO-SHOT. You wont have any more probs. Also make sure you have relays that can handle at least a 30 amp load (at least) Ive had failing relays burn up a few NOS sols. Good luck.
Old 09-22-2003, 07:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: hondata nitrous control solenoid probs, help! (FULLTHROTTLE)

finally got my new solenoid installed, gonna try it out this friday at the track. this isn't the best picture in the world but look at the difference in size
Old 09-22-2003, 07:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

good luck craig. the new solenoid looks much better.
Old 09-22-2003, 01:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Looks nice Craig!
Let me know how it goes.

I won't have my numbers until Oct. 3 or 11th now.
Old 09-23-2003, 12:55 PM

Is it just me or does anyone else feel he's fixed one of two problems here. Why run a questionable solenoid on the fuel side ? If it's not good enough for the nitrous side I wouldn't be comfortable using it on the fuel side either...that's just me though.
Old 09-23-2003, 01:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: hondata nitrous control solenoid probs, help! (Prod)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Prod &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Is it just me or does anyone else feel he's fixed one of two problems here. Why run a questionable solenoid on the fuel side ? If it's not good enough for the nitrous side I wouldn't be comfortable using it on the fuel side either...that's just me though.</TD></TR></TABLE>

There is no fuel side. That is a dry nitrous system he is running. He was just comparing the old solenoid with the new solenoid side by side.
Old 09-23-2003, 03:47 PM

doh, thanks man...should read more carefully -&gt; me
Old 10-04-2003, 04:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You're running a Zex dry setup right?

How are you handling fuel delivery when the gas hits? What size injectors and pressures are you running? I have a similar setup on a GSR (Hondata + JRSC w/ Moss chip) and am close to max injector duty cycle without the bottle. What size shot are you running?

I'm in the Cincy area too, maybe I 'll catch you at the track.
Old 10-05-2003, 04:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: hondata nitrous control solenoid probs, help! (Turismo)

GITWIDIT uses a NOS dry setup with Hondata. I am using a ZEX dry setup with Hondata.
Old 10-05-2003, 04:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Prod &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Is it just me or does anyone else feel he's fixed one of two problems here. Why run a questionable solenoid on the fuel side ? If it's not good enough for the nitrous side I wouldn't be comfortable using it on the fuel side either...that's just me though.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I read the other responses, and I know that it's a dry kit. before you guys say anything...

On a side note, I have had problems with the powershot solenoids more then once. They always stick shut on me though... They will click open with no pressure on the back of them, but will not open when n2o is applied.

I have never had a problem with the fuel solenoids though.
Old 10-05-2003, 05:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: hondata nitrous control solenoid probs, help! (Turismo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Turismo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
How are you handling fuel delivery when the gas hits? What size injectors and pressures are you running? I have a similar setup on a GSR (Hondata + JRSC w/ Moss chip) and am close to max injector duty cycle without the bottle. What size shot are you running?

I'm in the Cincy area too, maybe I 'll catch you at the track.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hondata controls my fuel and timing maps when the system is armed. I run RC 440's maxed out 80-85% duty. It was originally tuned for 100 shot on pump gas. Just recently put it on C16, bumped the fuel pressure, and upped the shot to a NOS .063 jet, I think it's about a 140-150hp shot.

Ran today at our local track for "import day" and the new solenoid works great. I put the interior back in, car weighed 2,610 with 4 gallons of gas and me in it. Ran consistent high 12's to low 13's with a few 113mph passes. SOHC POWA!!!!!
Thanks again guys for all your help
Old 10-05-2003, 06:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice times!
Old 06-24-2004, 04:27 AM

I too have the hondata/nitrous setup. Using the powershot solenoids it maxed out at a 130 shot. I upped the jet size but there was no increase in hp and the a/f ratio was the same. When i ran it at the track with a progressive nitrous controller it would bog real bad when it wasnt at 100% because the solenoids just dont flow enough. Ill be swapping the powershots out for cheaters and see if i can get more power and no boggin on the controller.