Hondata, are most people tuning it themselves, or getting it done?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2003, 01:26 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hondata, are most people tuning it themselves, or getting it done?

What are most people out there doing? Getting the 2b/s200 and having it tuned, or going all out w/ the 4b w/ datalogging, rom editor, WBO2...the whole 9 yards and doing it on their own?

Also, for those who know about tuning it yourself, is it something worth doing, and easy to do? Or should I leave it to the pros?
Old 01-06-2003, 01:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Hondata, are most people tuning it themselves, or getting it done? (00SilverLS)

I just got mine and will be "trying" to tune it myself. I think I can do it with help from here and local tuners.
Old 01-06-2003, 02:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Hondata, are most people tuning it themselves, or getting it done? (00SilverLS)

Tuned it myself. I love it...super easy to use and gives me all the control I think that I'll ever need.

Sonny
Old 01-06-2003, 02:48 PM
JT

Got the 4B full package including FJO WO2. Later upgraded to S200 and still enjoy tuning it myself. Very easy to do. I wouldn't do it any other way. Additionally, I've learned a lot in the process.
Old 01-06-2003, 03:06 PM
Smarter than you

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I started out buying the 2b and was planning on tuning it with the help of some friends. but they decided to sell their 4b stuff and go aem but I was lucky enough to get john(vaportrail) to fly out here and tune it. im glad I did, he did a great job and at the time it was the best thing for me. Now a few months later im ordering the pocket programmer and im gonna try to further tune it myself. Not really to make more power, mostly just because I want to learn how to tune.
Old 01-06-2003, 04:39 PM
New User

Tuned it myself, yet I am a pro, so kinda both
Old 01-06-2003, 04:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Are you thinking of going stand alone? The MF2 is just plain donkey doodles compared to a good stand alone!
Old 01-06-2003, 04:50 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Hondata, are most people tuning it themselves, or getting it done? (MiraiZ)

I am seriously thinking about it, but its hard when I can honostly say that I love the MF2. I've been running almost 10psi flawlessly for a while now, and the car drives great. I'm mainly looking at hondata for more tuning abilitly so I can get more power from the car.
Old 01-07-2003, 01:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

sweet I didn't have any luck with the MF2. My engine is being completely rebuilt this weekend with Endyn pistons and eagle rods. After I break it in, its off to the power excel shop to have some wideband tuning. 350whp is my goal
Old 01-07-2003, 05:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hondata, are most people tuning it themselves, or getting it done? (MiraiZ)

Me and BoostedHybrid will be doing mine for the msot part, I will be getting on the dyno in the future though just to get mroe finly tuned
Old 01-07-2003, 01:59 PM

Default Re: Hondata, are most people tuning it themselves, or getting it done? (MiraiZ

i m sorry i am changing your subject but i need to ask you some questions if you don t mind please. well i have a jdm itr exactly like you and am looking forward to install a drag gen 111 turbo kit but i am worried on something which is that usdm itr s have a c:r of 10.6 and our jdm has a c:r of 11.1 you think on everything internal bone stock , would be any problems on runing 9 psi boost 0n there t3/4 turbo of that kit? thanks regaurds nicky.
Old 01-07-2003, 03:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hondata, are most people tuning it themselves, or getting it done? (MiraiZ (xer)

bone stock on 11:1 CR is very tricky to tune...and I don't recommend it at all unless you're willing to spend a lot of time on the dyno. I have been using gas with 96-100 octane rating and its still hard tune. I wound up blowing oil rings in all 4 cylinders (hoping that this is the only damage done) and my engine is being rebuilt this weekend with 9:1 Endyns and Eagle rods.

Tips for turboing a JDM ITR:
1. Standalone is a must...don't take shortcuts with this! Low tech hacks like FMU's and FPR's will not cut it with the ITR.

2.Larger injectors...I have 450ccs now but I am starting to consider 700+

3. Low comp forged pistons and stronger rods (highly recommended) for peace of mind. The ITR pistons are made for NA, and just don't take to boost well.

I've seen tons of posts with people saying (I'm going to run 7psi's for now and then upgrade later when I have the cash).....um no! This is complete BS, because the temptation will be there to turn the boost up a notch or two. And at the end of the week, you'll be at 11psi on a stock motor which is a no no. Plan for 15psi setup from the get-go, even if you don't plan to boost that high in the immediate future, at least you'll have peace of mind that you can.

Resleeving is optional...I've opted to leave it out, but that's up to you.

look to spend at LEAST $6000 ($3000 for a comprehensive turbo kit + at least $2500 for a standalone and other incidentals) Any turbo kit should be ok...Rev hard, Drag and FMAX are the favorites...I'd stay away from anything without an IC..ITR + Turbo - IC = kaboom for sure!... I will be at around $7000 when this rebuild is done, then its another $500 to have it tuned at Power Excel (hopefully thats the end of it).

bottom line...plan carefully....if you need advise on how to plan your setup, please e-mail me and I can help you plan based on what you want and your budget.
Old 01-08-2003, 12:10 PM

Default asking on turbo kits.

dear miraiZ iam thanking you in advance for your reply that you have send me. so what do you think that a specifice turbo kit for a jdm itr on everythink bone stock as they say runing on lets say 7-9 psi is all bullshit? actually my dear friend by budget is not so much lets say around $3,500. so what do you think?
Old 01-08-2003, 02:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: asking on turbo kits. (xer)

I say if you definately cannot go over $3500, then don't do it.. The kits themsleves aren't complete enough to run a safe and reliable setup.

There are Type R specific low boost applications (like HKS, or Greddy) that will not give you much HP. They are geared more toward giving you just a bit more torque, with stock equipment. By no means are they 100% safe or reliable, but since they are low boost (like 5psi max) they are a bit more user friendly. But they do run like $2500 for their basic kit (no IC) ...basically a turbo manifold, t25 (small) actuator-type compressor, the plumbing, and a down-pipe....they recommend that you get their F-CON (injector controller) to add one or two more injectors. Greddys come with their own fuel solution.

IMO these low boost application aren't worth it. They're hard to upgrade and expensive. You can also (if you have te time and resources) choose to build your own custom kit from used parts...there are tons of posts from guys who basically built really good setups for half the cost of an assembled kit. but for the money you save, you are sacraficing time. So if time is not a factor but money is, this may be your best bet.

But the bottom line is not to take short cuts, and do careful research...stand alone, careful tuning is a must.

[Modified by MiraiZ, 8:21 AM 1/9/2003]
Old 01-08-2003, 03:39 PM
New User

Did mine myself and got really good at it because I couldn't find any reliable tuners at a fair price! Now I've tuned many other's cars and I can attest to the wonders of Hondata! In good hands this is a great unit and unless you are an all out racer, its really the best solution.
Old 01-09-2003, 12:55 PM

Default Re: asking on turbo kits. (MiraiZ)

thanks a lot for your help my friend i will contact you back in the future saying you whaT have i done. see you and thanks regaurds nicky.
Old 01-09-2003, 01:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: asking on turbo kits. (xer)

Learned to tune with the help from a friend who learned to tune mostly on his own (I think). Tuning the a/f for part throttle and boost was relatively easy to do. It just takes time and patience cause you have to drive your car at all kinds of different rpms and throttle positions to get readings then make adjustments. I'm glad I went Hondata, I can't wait to have my own wideband instead of using a friends

Justin