Notices

High Boost Catch Can Breather Box Situation

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 07:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High Boost Catch Can Breather Box Situation

I'm currently nearing the home stretch of my build. It was a running ls/vtec turbo setup on 20psi. I got it with some knocking and long story short got a new ls block and completely rebuilt with new internals. The problem is the block that WAS in it is a b18b1. The new block going in is a b18a1. I've realized that the older blocks (b18a1) had a breather box assembly on the back thus leaving a huge gaping hole to the sump. Since I had a newer block before I don't have any of that assembly. I'm shooting for the same power and boost numbers so I know I need to run a catch can setup. Can I use this open port on the block to my advantage in a catch can setup or should I just pick up one of the z10 block offs and call it a day? I'm worring to block it off because I certainly don't want the notorious oil pan leak and rear main leak from too much crankcase pressure. What would you guys do? Also, I have a catch can and what I think are -10an hoses. This is the only thing holding up the build right now. Any experience will help. Thanks.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Re: High Boost Catch Can Breather Box Situation

I'm confused as to what Catchcan setup you had on the previous build.

As far as the catchcan hole... B & R Fittings makes a plug for that that accepts a -12 oil return.

So if you already have a vented valve cover you can just use the breather box hole as a return location.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by NonovUrbizniz
I'm confused as to what Catchcan setup you had on the previous build.

As far as the catchcan hole... B & R Fittings makes a plug for that that accepts a -12 oil return.

So if you already have a vented valve cover you can just use the breather box hole as a return location.
Actually the plug fitting that accepts the -12 is only for the d-series.

What you can do is block off the hole on the back of the block. Then above that there should be another plug. It takes a 14mm hex to remove it. Then just screw in one of our 28mm to -10 adapters and run a line from there to a catch can. Then I would just run two lines off the valve cover.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

there was no catch can setup on it previously. Yeah I know, not the smartest thing when your running high boost like that. I'm thinking it was built by a "less then bright" person because I found 3 wrist pins in the sump and scarred up cylinder walls. haha But anyways, I kinda wandered if I could just vent the valve cover to my catch can (which I've purchased since the build) and then from the catch can to that hole. Is that basically what you're saying?
Old 01-19-2010, 08:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by B R Fittings
Actually the plug fitting that accepts the -12 is only for the d-series.

What you can do is block off the hole on the back of the block. Then above that there should be another plug. It takes a 14mm hex to remove it. Then just screw in one of our 28mm to -10 adapters and run a line from there to a catch can. Then I would just run two lines off the valve cover.
ok, that makes sense as well. (assuming that blocking off that hole and opening up one of the freeze plugs above it would still achieve sufficient venting.) When you say run two lines from the valve cover you mean run them from the valve cover to the catch can correct?

With all that having been said, I have a vented valve cover that goes with the catch can I have but it has been sandblasted and several people 9including my engine builder) have told me not to use it because sand is always still trapped in it no matter how much you clean it. If thsi is so, Could I just use one of the z10 vented oil caps (with an fiitting I believe) or a competitor's of course instead of going through the trouble of fabbing another vented valve cover without sandblasting?
Old 01-19-2010, 08:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

block off the big hole (b&r plug) and use adapters in the two hex plugs like this...

run those lines to the catch can. you can also run lines to the valve cover for extra ventilation. the more the better
Old 05-03-2010, 12:37 PM
Trial User

do you have the part # for those block fittings
Old 05-03-2010, 01:09 PM
Trial User

i need those 2 fittings any one know were to get them
Old 05-03-2010, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ritchie1087
i need those 2 fittings any one know were to get them
B R Fittings
Old 05-03-2010, 02:14 PM
Trial User

do they have a site?
Old 05-03-2010, 07:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ritchie1087
do they have a site?
https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-49/new-anodized-polished-catch-can-kits-2020423/