Notices

help with turbocharging LS (long)

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2003, 06:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with turbocharging LS (long)

a friend of mine and I are both relative noobs to forced induction. we've learned a little from time to time, and are putting our colective knowledge together to boost his 95 LS.

what i need from you guys is help with our list. i know the basics of what we'll need, but not everything.

first off, the motor will be internally stock, the most we'll do is a copper head gasket. later on, we might do a cam upgrade, but we're really looking at doing just a junkyard kit.

for starters, looking at a hondata s200 kit, and for injectors the dsm 450's if possible (know if this will work with obd1?)

we're going to try and fabricate a manifold (friend of ours does amazing work) will it screw it up if they arent totaly equal length runners? if not, we will just end up buying a turbo manifold

we will be picked up probably a 16g off an eclipse and rebuilding it. we've seen many tutorials and that isnt really a problem.

we are also going to do a starion intercooler setup, or something similar. we have someone that will do all/most of our piping, so again, that is no problem.

there will be a 3inch exhaust in this mix also

any comments/suggestions? we're hoping to break 13's with good driving...is this realistic? also, how much boost should we look at pushing?

anything else i forgot? thank you!
Old 01-28-2003, 07:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: help with turbocharging LS (skud_dusty)

Forget the copper head gasket. They don't seal any better than a modern Honda gasket, and they like to leak oil. One might be an option on a built block that you take the head off of regularly and want to save some bucks with a reusable headgasket, but for general use don't bother.

Hondata S200 is a good option.

Equal length runners on a turbo manifold don't make that big a difference on a street car. THere is a bit of a difference between runner style and log style manifolds, though... but the log style is very easy to build and at street power levels I wouldn't worry about runner vs log style.

You aren't planning on racing any Geo Metros in this thing, are you?
Old 01-28-2003, 07:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: help with turbocharging LS (J. Davis)

lol, read my stuff in kills?

i was just thinking the copper head gasket might lower compression some to where we could up the boost. the block will be stock (for now) and this is just kind of our first "test setup" we DONT want to blow the motor, but if we do, we'll just build it stronger

we'd like a strong streetcar, but still reliable. we were thinking on trying to fabricate a log style manifold (have a gsr manifold we can cutup and play with)
Old 01-28-2003, 09:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: help with turbocharging LS (skud_dusty)

we need any/all advice on turboing an ls

project is gonna start real soon, we wanna make sure we got it all