Notices

Help with turbo st-up?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2001, 10:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with turbo st-up?

Ok, this is the deal.....I've been getting alot of diffrent opinions on this and I'm getting lost......b18c1 built bottom end......b16a head......ITR manifold, ITR cams, T04 turbo, F-max manifold, 3" exh and D/P, 440cc RCinj., 225(90psi) in-tank, apexi I/C and V-AFC, GSR ECU REP.,JUN lightin' F/W, GSR trans w/quaife LSD. In a '93 CX. I'll be at 12psi on the street (93) and 20psi at the track (104). Is there anything that i can improve on to make it more reliable? Looking for 11's in the 1/4.........any imput will be very helpful.

P.S. I forgot to put in the Votech FMU 6:1........

[Modified by WykidEG6, 7:40 PM 9/28/2001]
Old 09-28-2001, 11:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Help with turbo st-up? (WykidEG6)

With a 6:1 FMU @ 20psi of boost, you're looking at a total of over 150psi at the rail. The injectors may be able to flow it, but I think the pump would be really pushing the limits.
Old 09-28-2001, 02:06 PM
New User

Default Re: Help with turbo st-up? (VTC_CiViC)

standalone
Old 09-28-2001, 03:22 PM
Better than steak

Default Re: Help with turbo st-up? (JaEz)

1st let me say one thing "KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID"(KISS). Alot of people will tell you to get this and that but just keep it simple. If you already have a B18C1 just keep what you have and work with it. Your goal is to run 11's, well I know st00pid runs 11's in a EG civic with a stock motor, custom turbo kit(60-1), and stand alone at 11psi.
Drag3GSR(Dan) ran low 12's in his turbo Gsr full interior. He had a built motor, Drag 3 turbo kit, 370 injectors, Cartech adjustabel fmu 6:1 I believe, and piggy back fuel controller.

I prefer to have stand alone(Hondata, speed pro, DFI, haltech, zydyne, motech) and large RC injectors(440 or 550cc). I have always felt the weakest link is not so much the block, but the ECU. Even tho I have a FMU set up I dont like it and FMU's are very old turbo technology. With sand alone you will not have the extreme high fuel pressure you get with a FMU. Also, it would be a good idea to get a custom or pre fabricated 3" exhaust and downpipe.

I think this is all I can think of for now.

art
Old 09-28-2001, 04:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help with turbo st-up? (Arturbo)

Hello Art,
Thanks for the info, every little bit helps. I've thinking about getting a Apex'i Power FC w/ laptop interface. I was told that with the extra $ spent on the Power FC than the Hondata is well worth it, because they do the same thing but the FC has a lot faster processor. and processing the data is real important in a high boost-daily-driven Honda.........
Thanks for your time, WykidEG6
Old 09-28-2001, 05:32 PM
Dee
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Power FC w/laptop interface??... that software is written in Japanese and it was just released as the PFC-pro..

The US version is Power excel Tuning shop only and it requires a hardware key. I guess you just spent a lot of money buying Apex parts because they don't sell the key to non-Power Excel shops or individuals..

The Power FC CPU isn't that much faster than the stock Honda unit. Speedpro, Hondata, Haltech or one the other ECU's with better tech SUPPORT would be a much better choice.

Also you need to look at the features of the other ECU's and then compare them to the PFC.. Good luck!!
Old 10-10-2001, 11:28 AM
New User

Hello Art,
Thanks for the info, every little bit helps. I've thinking about getting a Apex'i Power FC w/ laptop interface. I was told that with the extra $ spent on the Power FC than the Hondata is well worth it, because they do the same thing but the FC has a lot faster processor. and processing the data is real important in a high boost-daily-driven Honda.........Thanks for your time, WykidEG6
The Hondata is, by far, the best tuning tool you can get for your car, bar none. If you want the laptop interface for your turbo setup, then the stage4b with GM map sensor is the way to go. If you are really into tuning yourself, get the EEPROM chip, burner, and lambda meter for abut $1400 more. I know, sounds expensive, right? Consider the cost of making modifications and re-tuning and maybe you can justify the expense, plus, you can tune all your buddies cars that have similar setups but who don't have the lambda and burner.
I don't have the Hondata, yet, but have been watching and learning from someone who is a distributor and, I have been checking out TOO Hondata forum. I plan to go the Hondata route I mentioned above and will publish it all on the web.
IMO, any other tuning setup, ZDYNE, Haltech, etc., will not satisfy your complete tuning needs and the Hondata will.