Notices

Help....strange problem.

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2003, 12:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help....strange problem.

I'll start by listing my set-up (relevent parts)
stock b16, 93 gs-r ecu (p-72 i believe) fields sfc vtec fuel controller, rc 310cc injectors, vortec 4:1 fmu, ngk 7 series plugs, msd 6al, crane trc-1 (same as msd btm),magnecore plug wires. I thats all.
The car has been tuned on a dyno so the afr is good. (12:1 to be exact)
Heres the problem, for no apparent reason the car will (while driving normal) lose all power and try dying (would die if i didn't keep reving the engine). When i pull over it won't start, It will try starting but then die. When it's acting this way it smells really rich (lots of unburned fuel).
When the car acts up my air/fuel ratio gauge doesn't work either (fine other times). When the car does this i have to pull over and reset the ecu (by pulling the fuses) and the the car starts rite up and drives fine.???
there is no rhyme or reason to it's madness, nothing prior effects (driving style) seems to have any contribution.
Other then this problem the car runs like a champ. I never drive the car anymore, but this spring I will be racing it a lot more then last summer, and i really don't want to be sitting at the tree and have this happen...
thanks
jesse.
Old 12-26-2003, 02:27 PM

Default Re: Help....strange problem. (b16ahybrid)

Anybody?
Old 12-26-2003, 02:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Have you tried checking the CEL code sounds like your 02 sensor to me??

Edit what are you using to prevent your ECU from seeing boost?????????
Old 12-26-2003, 02:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help....strange problem. (turbozxi)

this isnt helping but a 93 gsr ecu is a p61, vtec at 5600 and revlimit at 8000. obd1, no secondaries.
Old 12-26-2003, 02:59 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbozxi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Have you tried checking the CEL code sounds like your 02 sensor to me??

Edit what are you using to prevent your ECU from seeing boost?????????</TD></TR></TABLE>

not yet, but i do need to check that. I was thinking the same thing because of how's it's acting. The thing thats throwing me off is that the problem goes away when i reset the ecu. I would assume that resetting the ecu would have no effect on the o2 sensor (if it was bad)......I guess i just need to check for a cel and see what it tells me...thanks for the reply.
Old 12-26-2003, 03:01 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbozxi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Edit what are you using to prevent your ECU from seeing boost?????????</TD></TR></TABLE>

check valves. But the problem happens even when i'm not boosting, or havent boosted in a while. I'll be driving down the road and it will suddenly happen...
Old 12-26-2003, 03:03 PM

Default Re: Help....strange problem. (RedStarGsr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RedStarGsr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">this isnt helping but a 93 gsr ecu is a p61, vtec at 5600 and revlimit at 8000. obd1, no secondaries. </TD></TR></TABLE>

sounds about rite.......
anyway to bump the revlimiter?
I have vtec set at 6k (to get rid of the dip in power at the vtec x-oxer)
Old 12-26-2003, 03:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah check the CEL, thats pretty easy to do. I would change the check valves for a missing link myself.
Old 12-26-2003, 03:14 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbozxi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah check the CEL, thats pretty easy to do. I would change the check valves for a missing link myself. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I never drive the car so once i park it i don't think about it until i drive it or until I think about getting it ready for this spring....
The check valves have been doing fine for me for about 4 years now ......I guess IMO why spend money on something i don't need to. If it aint broke don't try fixing it.... ....eventually when i build the engine i'll switch to hondata and get rid of the piggyback and check valves...
Old 12-26-2003, 03:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b16ahybrid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I never drive the car so once i park it i don't think about it until i drive it or until I think about getting it ready for this spring....
The check valves have been doing fine for me for about 4 years now ......I guess IMO why spend money on something i don't need to. If it aint broke don't try fixing it.... ....eventually when i build the engine i'll switch to hondata and get rid of the piggyback and check valves...</TD></TR></TABLE>Yeah I hear there unreliable often leaking a little bit of boost causing CELs etc, another thought is your MSD setup it could be a grounding issue. You have been boosted a fair while I remember you from superhonda still post on that Ghey site?
Old 12-26-2003, 03:31 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbozxi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah I hear there unreliable often leaking a little bit of boost causing CELs etc, </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah they can stick closed and cause i cel, mines never failed me ...yet .

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbozxi, another thought is your MSD setup it could be a grounding issue. [/QUOTE &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

It does act like the ecu/ignition is cutting spark to 3 of the 4 cylinders (hence the strong gas smell)......

[QUOTE=turbozxi]You have been boosted a fair while I remember you from superhonda still post on that Ghey site? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Nope, haven't been there in over a year, i tried to log one about a year ago but the site was down, i never went back....

Thanks for the sugestions, i'm just getting some idea's so when i have a little bit of time i can check everything out.....
Old 12-26-2003, 03:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thats cool goodluck
Old 12-26-2003, 03:41 PM

thanks
Old 12-26-2003, 04:11 PM

I would try another distributor.I was having a similiar problem and that was the culprit.