Notices

Help! My boost is acting all weird cuase I fiddled with my Boost Controller! How can I fix it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2003, 07:55 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Location: 99th level of hell, where all roads only go straight, where curves go to die. Houston Texas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! My boost is acting all weird cuase I fiddled with my Boost Controller! How can I fix it?

I just couldn't leave things alone. I just had to fiddle with my sharp and mild settings on my profec B. A lot of poeple were telling me that they put in more on the sharp side, so today, I thought I would give it a try.

BTW, I want to run and STAY at 5psi right now.

I turned my Profec B to about 2 o'clock on my Sharp side and took, the car out for a spin.
First time I ran it, the boost ran up to 12PSI! BUt I didn't turn up the boost any at all! It never did this before. Everytime that I ran up boost, the needle would reach 5 psi and dance around 5 psi. It never crossed it really, maybe up to 5.5psi at MOST. But now it surges ALL THE WAY up to like 10-12 psi!!!

I immediately turned the mild and sharp back to it's originally setting which was smack DAB on 12 o'clock. So I gave it another run on the highway. Some thing, it STILL surging up to around 10psi!

I had to go to work and I would try to fix it later.

Later.....
I'm coming home on the highway. I have put my mild and sharp settings back to it's originally setting at 12 o'clock. I have also put my boost settings all the way as low as I can, which is what it was originally set at anyway . I SHOULD be seeing nothign but 5 psi or so.
On the highway I get into boost and now it shoots up to around 8-10psi, but then suddenly shoots back DOWN to 5psi and STAYS there. I continue pushing on the gas all the way up to 8K and the needle stays at 5psi, but as soon as I shift and get on teh gas again, it shoots up to 7-8psi or so then drops back down to 5psi.

Okay... Sure I'm at 5psi, but I don't like the idea of it shooting up and down like that. Is this what they call boost spiking or something??

Somebody please help me on what I can do to try to remedy this problem.
Old 04-12-2003, 09:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Help! My boost is acting all weird cuase I fiddled with my Boost Controller! How can I fix it? (

I have no experience with profec b's, but got an idea. Try disconnecting the power and let it reset itself? then put it to the settings that worked for you before.
Old 04-12-2003, 09:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Help! My boost is acting all weird cuase I fiddled with my Boost Controller! How can I fix it? (

You are boost spiking if the surge occurs.

The balance **** on the profec, as well as every other boost controller will make the system boost less or more if you are turning the **** to mild or sharp. It makes the wastegate stay closed longer when you adjust the balance, so you need to turn down the boost to compensate if you want to stay at the same psi level. I never experienced boost spiking when I ran my maxrev/tial/profec b set-up together. Boost was dead solid at fixed psi level.
Old 04-13-2003, 08:15 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Location: 99th level of hell, where all roads only go straight, where curves go to die. Houston Texas

my boost level is already turned down as low as it can.

It's not so much that I'm gettting more boost, it's just the boost spike that I'm getting at first. I should I readjust my balance?

The part that really pisses me off is that, I turn my balance back to it's original befoer I ever touched it, and it's still getting boost spikes. I never got boost spikes at this setting before, I don't know why I'm getting it now.

Shoud I turn it to even more mild? I don't know what to do.
Old 04-13-2003, 04:46 PM

I installed my Profec B recently and have been playing around with it. Which hose did you use to connect from the OUT of the black box to the wastegate? And you're certain that you are not clicked on the HIGH boost side right?
Old 04-13-2003, 06:07 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

I'm pretty sure it's hooked in right. Afterall, I didn't have any problems previously before fiddling with it. NOr did I have any problems with I got it dyno'd. It didn't show any spiking then, it's just now that I have it.

Can somebody give me some suggestions on some kind of settings that I might be able to use to fix it?
Old 04-13-2003, 06:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GTurbo00 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> And you're certain that you are not clicked on the HIGH boost side right? </TD></TR></TABLE>

If you hit the "select" button it could switch to the high boost setting.

Does it go back to normal after hitting this?
Old 04-14-2003, 03:51 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

haven't tried selecting the high boost setting, last time I did though, it usually boost about 1psi higher even if it was on the same level as my lo boost setting.

My spike is shooting up to 8psi, then it drops to back to 5psi. But I have yet to really launch it hard. I've only done rolling runs. I don't know if the spike would be even higher than 8psi if I were to flat out gun it from a stop.

I'm kind of afriad to try as to what might happen if I'm not careful!.