Notices

Help me think this through - oil pressure readings using adapters

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help me think this through - oil pressure readings using adapters

So I've been thinking here and I need your help to figure this out.
I have installed a Quad-Outlet oil adapter on my firewall for relocation of oil presure sensor. So one port from back of block to adapter. That leaves 3 ports open.
One port is being used by Stock oil pressure sensor ( namely for dummy light operation ),
one port is being used by Aftermarket AEM oil pressure sensor ( electric ),
and last port has a 1/8" NPT to -3AN adapter used for turbo oil inlet line.
Now my question is how accurate will my oil pressure readings be by my Aftermarket sensor at that location ?
Old 02-08-2010, 11:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Help me think this through - oil pressure readings using adapters

I have also wondered this.. I did the same set up as you except i also had a line running to the head on ls vtec.

At first i did not have enough oil pressure to engage vtec. I had to put in a sandwich plate as well and run a separate line to the head.

But i have wondered if my gauge will be correct seeing as how the sender is sort of "in line" rather than at a dead end??
Old 02-08-2010, 11:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It should be "close enough" provided all your lines are large enough. It may be 5-10 psi off, but that's not really a significant number in the grand scheme of things.

You'll know if you have pressure at idle, and you'll see any significant drops that may happen due to a rapid pressure loss or other event.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grand champ
But i have wondered if my gauge will be correct seeing as how the sender is sort of "in line" rather than at a dead end??
Exactly what I'm wondering, its not at a dead end - there is oil that is still flowing past the sensor.
My setup needs accurate oil pressure at idle more than anything. Past idle I'll be fine.

Last edited by street_ride14; 02-08-2010 at 01:05 PM.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my opinion its not a numerical reading that matters as much as knowing there is some kind of oil pressure. But once you have a base pressure figured out for your particular set up you should be able to spot any problems from that. Your not going to notice small changes while driving anyway.

I was worried about my oil pressure when i first finished my build (mine reads really low compared to what i have read it should be). I have a line coming off the back of my block that goes to the firewall with fittings for the stock sensor, turbo supply, and pressure gauge.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 00si2
In my opinion its not a numerical reading that matters as much as knowing there is some kind of oil pressure. But once you have a base pressure figured out for your particular set up you should be able to spot any problems from that. Your not going to notice small changes while driving anyway.
agreed

also, i think that having the feed line has the biggest effect on readings b/c as mentioned oil is flowing past the sensors, rather than "dead ending", i had a similar oil relocation on my first setup and never saw over 60psi at WOT, kind of worried me at first but then i realized it was getting a reduced reading from feeding the turbo

with a dedicated line with just the sensor, i see 80psi regularly