help.. hondata with aem wideband

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2003, 05:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (turbo_civic_si)

NO NO NO NO NO.

The guy at HONDATA is a twerp. He doesn’t know jack **** about his own product. I have talked to him like 20 times… The other WB units DO NOT GO TO 5V. If you look at their graph they hit 20:1 at more like 4V…. Therefore you never see the 3.8V problem.

FJO AND MOTEC do not put out 5V, their graphs are different.

Stop trying to get around the fact that the Honda ECU CAN NOT TAKE MORE THAN 3.87V. Impedance is not the problem. There is no current flowing. V=IR, V=5, R=100K, so you calculate I. It is piddles.

I don’t care if AEM says you can use the 1V output, and I don’t care if Hondata says you can take a 5V input. Both of the “Phone Techs” are UNINFORMED.

Here is a question…. Have you EVER seen a GOOD engineer who answers phones? NO, because GOOD engineers are busy designing circuits. Good engineers are writing code. 2.0 GPA engineers are answering phones.

Impedance is NOT THE PROBLEM.

I am sorry that I am being a *****, but it just drives me crazy. The solution is a Voltage divider. The impedance matching was an afterthought.

People need to understand that Phone techs, in general, do not know what they are talking about.

” hondata told me they get an fjo or motec and just put the output into the input of the o2 sensor circuit and it reads the 5v. that makes me believe that the honda ecu will see 5v.”

False. Motec and FJO do not put out 5V. Look at the tables in your Hondata and you will clearly see that they do not go to 5V. They are only mapped to 4V.

FJO: 3.1V= 20:A/F

MOTEC: 4.5V = 22:1 A/F

You will NEVER see 22:1 A/F, therefore IT NEVER GOES THERE.

It is not 5V

I am not yelling at you, I am yelling at the STUPID phone techs that lead you guys astray. The guy at AEM who says you can use the 1V output. The guy at Hondata who says you should go buy a FJO or MOTEC. Idiots like that are the problem with the world. They don’t know when to keep their mouth shut. In my opinion, there are two things you must do in life.

1) If you know you are right, you must defend your position and not let misinformation be distributed.

2) If you don’t know what you are talking about, you must keep your mouth shut.

The guys at Hondata also state that you cannot run Hondata on a 2001 Prelude. Well, you can. I am. And there are no problems and I didn’t have to rewire anything. Do you know why they say things like that? Because they never took the time to do the research.

No don’t get me wrong. The people who “Developed” hondata are great engineers. I respect those fellows greatly. The people who answer the phones for them are inept.

Once again I will apologize for my outburst here, It just truly drives me insane when misinformation is spread. It is nothing that anyone here is doing; it is what the companies are doing.

I hope I have not offended any one here and I do appreciate discussion about these topics. I have just had my fill with this one.

Have you ever designed something…. Something very simple that solves a very simple problem….. Yet no one will accept the solution? Everyone wants to complicate things. I am not talking about you guys specifically, I am talking about the response I have been getting across the “boards” .

Old 09-23-2003, 07:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (methods)

no offense taken. just looking to get well informed and curiosity satisfied. thx for all the input.
Old 09-24-2003, 08:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

How about you put some text and a diagram together for your AEM wideband solution so we can post it on our website under Tech.

Old 09-24-2003, 08:42 AM

Default Re: (Hondata)

That would be my pleasure. I will put together a full tutorial. You may edit it as you wish. I will include:

An overview
A description of the problem, symptoms, and affects
A description of the solution, side affects, and other solutions
A step by step procedure for creating my circuit with part numbers
An installation guide
A contact number / address where people can ask for help or make suggestions
Full picture lineup of building and installation

The circuit I created is open source and anyone may take it as there own. I am open to suggestion that would cut costs, simplify assembly, or increase reliability / performance.

In addition, I will supply EXCEL worksheets with a calculator to find the correct table values with respect to the resistances used in the voltage divider. As you know from above, the resistance values decide the resolution of the circuit… It is an engineering tradeoff between ease of calculation and accuracy.

Thank you for the response and sorry if I sound like a raving lunatic, it has been a long week.
Old 09-24-2003, 09:05 AM

Is hondata going to compensate you at all for your hard work, that would be awfully nice of them

-PHiZ
Old 09-24-2003, 09:11 AM

Default Re: (PHiZ)

Although that would be nice, I am not interested in compensation. All the compensation I need is knowing that other enthusiast like me can enjoy the full benefits of there low cost Hondata & AEM combination. Only recently has the “regular Joe” had access to such advanced tools as Stand Alone ECU’s and WBO2 units for a reasonable price. I only want people to be informed about there decisions and understand what they are doing and why. It is becoming more and more difficult in this age of information to sift out the “facts” from the “myths”.
Old 09-24-2003, 09:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My hats off to you man. Your intelligent post and knowledge is what we need more of on this site. You just saved many people alot of time and money. Personally I think that it was rather rude of Hondata to ask to use your information when they should have figured this **** out first, since "their" customers are trying this and have no real solutions. Personally I think Hondata's Customer service has gone downhill, and I own hondata so I am not trashing it. The unit works fine, but there are still quirks out there that people want info on and they should have intelligent enough people working for them to figure it out. Again to you Methods.
Old 09-24-2003, 09:41 AM

Default Re: (DC2R714)

I have already given Hondata a hard enough time for today, but I will take this opertunity to point out a few small “details” that they may wish to investigate:

Disclamer: I too own hondata and think it is a TOP NOTCH system. I recommend its use and enjoy its benefits. That said:

The table provided for entering “Custom” Lambda values will “lose” your data if you inadvertently view another table, i.e. Motec. When you attempt to go back and view your original entrees they will be gone. This is a SERIOUS bummer and is what I would call a “simple fix” in the Rom Editor code.

The “fast forward” and “rewind” functions in HodaLogger do not work. While viewing a long datalog, I have to wait a very long time to view the area of interest. This is also a simple fix in the software that has been neglected.

The Graphing functions of Hondalogger have a bug that will show A/F values on a Lambda scale. That means that any A/F above 1 is off the graph. This can be remedied by restarting the code and toggling the “A/F units” attribute. After the restart the graph will show a scale more suitable to A/F.

The AutoTune function of Rom Editor is a bit inconsistent. Changes can be forced by pressing the “Auto Tune” button, but if the button is not pressed it seems that Auto-tuning is ceased. I cant tell you how many miles I have driven with my laptop in my hands continually pressing the shortcut key to Auto-tune.

I could go on for a while, but lets go easy on Hondata for now. They provide an excellent product that has helped propel me from “piggy backer” to “tuner” for a very low cost in a very short time period. One thing that people never mention while they are busy bashing Hondata is how easy it is to use. I literally had my car up and running in minutes. This would not be the case with most of the other “Stand Alone” systems out there. Hondata has managed to find a good balance between “User Control” and “Ease of Use”. You are given just enough power to do what you need while being insulated from the tedious details of “Raw” programming.
Old 09-24-2003, 09:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by methods &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Every circuit on earth has a LOW impedance output.

Every circuit on earth has a HIGH impedance input.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Never done RF/Microwave design?

Though I know how easy it was for you to come up with an Op-Amp scaling circuit, I really appreciate the fact that your not charging for the information.

Glad to have another EE on-site.

And PHiZ: I'm with methods on the whole engineering/technician aspect....do not set limits like that for yourself. You would be surprised at how many fresh 4 year college kids my company hires only to find out our techs are more knowledgable.
Old 09-24-2003, 11:17 AM
methodsTEMP

Default Re: (EE_Chris)

You got me, I have made another very broad statement. Perhaps I should have said that every circuit on earth is either 50 ohms, 75 ohms, or high impedance. HA! You got me for sure. The devil is in the details and I can tell you are a detail man.

As I am sure you understand, I was simply trying to pound in the point that Voltage matching was the real issue at hand and not Impedance matching. Lucky for me, impedance matching is much easier in electronics than it is in RF.

P.S. I have completed the tutorial for Hondata and I will post it on my website after lunch. I have switched my name to methodsTEMP because I got limited to 5 posts per day. I will not be responding to any more posts until tomorrow to save my last 4 posts…

Here is a Preview:

Interfacing the AEM WBO2 to your HONDATA using a Double Buffered Voltage Divider…

Disclaimer:
These results were found using a P28 ECU with an S200 running a 12 psi supercharged H22A4. Testing has not been performed on P72 or other ECU's including J-spec units. Your results may vary given different ECU's.

Introduction:

If you are reading this that we can assume that you know what a WBO2 is and you have a HONDATA. We might also assume that you have tried to interface your AEM WBO2 to your HONDATA and found the following to be true:

" Rom Editor and Honda Logger do not register voltages above 3.83V

" This 3.83V corresponds to apx. 13.8:1 A/F (depending on your data points)

" While data logging in Rom Editor you may find that large areas of your table get filled in with the values 13.8:1 A/F.

" Your AEM WBO2 outputs 0-5V.

" Your car may be running lean under part throttle due to the fact that Rom Editor can not recognize any A/F higher than 13.8:1.

The consequences of the above symptoms can be as follows:

During AUTO TUNE you may run extremely lean if your target A/F is above 13.8:1.

During Manual Tuning you may inadvertently run lean if you attempt to reach an A/F above 13.8:1

While reviewing data logging after a race, users can be falsely assured that they have not run lean.

Defining the Problem:

First we must understand that the Output range of the AEM unit is 0-5V. This means that for each voltage between 0V and 5V the AEM unit is attempting to represent a specific A/F value. The graph below (supplied by AEM) shows the relationship between Voltage and A/F at the AEM output.

http://www.theoldone.com/forum...2.JPG

I have taken the liberty insert the cross point where the Hondata stops "seeing" the input. Notice that the point where Hondata stops recognizing input is just shy of Stoich. This is where a lot of the trouble can start, especially if you are attempting to tune for Stoich.

The Solution:

The solution is to "match" the output voltage of the AEM to the input sensitivity of the HONDATA. This is accomplished with a simple voltage divider. The simplest case is to use two equal resistors. This will divide the AEM output by precisely 2. That means that you can take any A/F value on the AEM chart and it corresponding voltage will now be one half what it used to be. For instance, the maximum A/F of 19.5:1 will now be represented by 2.5V instead of 5V.

There are two issues to address here. First, and most obvious, is that your choice of resistors will dictate your overall resolution. The closer you get the AEM output to 3.83V the higher your resolution will be, i.e. the greater voltage deviation you will have between any given two A/F ratios. The Second issue is impedance matching. Using a resistive voltage divider alone will cause possible problems. If you use too low of values on your resistors you could inadvertently load down the AEM output. This would cause the unit to Heat up and become unreliable. If you use resistance values that are too high, you will lengthen the settling times on the ECU A/D. This can cause ghost voltages, inaccurate readings, and overall unreliable functionality.

The solution is to "Buffer" your voltage divider from the AEM output and the Hondata input. This is accomplished with a pair of OpAmp "Voltage Followers". A voltage follower is simply a device that outputs the exact same thing that it sees at its input. It does absolutely nothing to the signal; it neither changes the phase nor voltage in any way. You might then ask "why use the voltage followers"? The answer is that they perform the task of impedance matching. The input impedance to a voltage follower is very high, in the hundreds of Kilo ohms. This allows us to present a very high impedance to the output of the AEM. To put it simply, the AEM will like this. The other characteristic of voltage followers is that they have a very low output impedance, in the tens of ohms. This is ideal for the input of the Hondata ECU. This will shorten the settling times of the A/D and ensure reliable readings… To put it simply, the Hondata will be happy. Here is a representation of the circuit that is used to accomplish this.

http://www.theoldone.com/forum...r.JPG

The triangular shape on the left and right are Voltage followers, i.e. and OpAmps. The two squiggly lines in the middle are the voltage divider. Either you get the circuit or you don't, we simply don't have time here to go over electronics 101. The good news is that you don't have to understand the circuit to build it. All you have to do is be able to read directions and solder.

This is the general information that I will submit to Hondata. Of course I will shorten it up and add lots of pictures and part numbers as well as the actual tutorial for assembly.

Modified by methodsTEMP at 8:42 PM 9/24/2003 [IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG]

Modified by methodsTEMP at 8:44 PM 9/24/2003
Old 09-24-2003, 12:13 PM
What is this crap?

Received 57 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Re: (methodsTEMP)

methods, welcome to honda-tech. i am deleting your methodsTEMP account as I made your original account a full unrestricted user. very wise words on what makes a person an engineer. glad to see another EE in here.

Joe
Old 09-24-2003, 12:48 PM
New User

Default Re: (falconGSR)

as i've said before.. methods is the man!

looks like you didn't feel like doing work today either? lol.

to add.. this ckt works on a p30 with an old stage 4..
Old 09-24-2003, 01:20 PM
What is this crap?

Received 57 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Re: (kekek-20)

who me? voltage dividers and op amps are the shizzle after a day trying to hack together a termination scheme for HSTL interface logic to save a few watts on an RLDRAM memory controller that will otherwise melt when we run it at full speed....

edit - oops i meant "design" not "hack"
Old 10-01-2003, 01:46 PM

Default Re: (falconGSR)

Wow.

Anyways, here's another link I found that may/may not be helpful, maybe for the more visual types:

http://plxdevices.com/PLXApp002.htm

Or you could just go with the innovatemotorsports.com wideband that has scriptable outputs, and my gut instinct tells me tha the techedge unit has scriptable outputs too.

Feel free to reference my thread:

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=635792

-PHiZ
Old 10-01-2003, 02:08 PM

Default Re: (PHiZ)

Nice work. Glad to see someone is actually doing there research around here. This should be a very helpful link to a lot of people.

P.S. By looking at the graph, this unit can "bolt up” to the hondata directly without any voltage divider. A/F above ~17.5:1 will be lost, but if you are running that lean it is too late anyway.

P.S.S The Tutorial is done, i just have not had time to update my website...

Good things come in small packagesÂ…

Modified by methods at 11:18 PM 10/1/2003
Old 10-03-2003, 06:54 AM

For those of you who just cant wait to build the circuit…

This is a rough draft of the tutorial on how to build the AEM to HONDATA signal conditioning box.

http://www.angelfire.com/electronic2/methods/

Also Available:

-O2 simulators
-Map Simulators
-Solid state nitrous switches
DSP applications
Imbedded control systems with data logging

YOU NAME IT, I CAN DESIGN IT…. FOR CHEAP
Old 10-03-2003, 11:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mad props. come visit pgmfi.org, and check your email.
Old 07-22-2004, 04:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (blundar)

I paid attention to the "notch" on my ic, however, i seemed to mis it on the ic socket.... they are not in the same direction, im guessing i gotta take it apart and do it again, am i right?