Notices

Help greddy turbo td05 exhaust housing

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 02:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help greddy turbo td05 exhaust housing

Hello

I need some help, I'm rebuilding my greddy th05h turbo come to find out there a crack on my exhaust housing

I'm having no luck finding a greddy exhaust housing and greddy discontinue the td05h turbo. Is there any turbo ex housing will direct fit on to it and is there any turbo replace the greddy turbo and still fit the turbo kit
Old 07-27-2014, 02:44 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: Help greddy turbo td05 exhaust housing

The turbine flange itself going to your adapter elbow is for a GT28R internal gate series from garrett. As for whether or not the the GReddy cartridge can fit that turbine housing, from what I remember, yes, but its been a few years since I've retrofitted that GReddy hybrid with other turbos.

In direct answer to your question, you can use any GT(X)28R series to that turbo kit to work with that system, however, you'll need to change water fitting sizes, return flange and oil feed line. But it is possible.
Old 07-28-2014, 02:40 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

define "crack"

if it's a small hairline crack then those are normal and won't have any impact on performance. Small cracks around the wastegate flapper hole are common and don't matter, as are small cracks around the inlet flange and outlet flange.... you need to show us a picture of this "crack" so we can determine if you even need to bother with/stress over replacing the turbine housing.

The Greddy **G turbos are MHI/Garrett hybrids so you'll be hard pressed to find a new housing, you'd have to locate one used.

also I hope you know that the turbo HAS TO BE rebalanced after the rebuild... and no, simply lining up the scribe lines you made before taking it apart won't be good enough. Turbos are balanced to less than half a gram at very high shaft speeds and the shaft and wheel being misaligned a few degrees is enough to cause premature failure.

also, do you know the torque requirement for the compressor retention nut? probably not... too loose and the compressor wheel won't rotate due to the compressor wheel stalling due to air pressure resistance (the turbine wheel will spin while the compressor won't)

or you snap the end of the shaft off, warp the compressor wheel bore, damage the compressor wheel, overload the thrust bearing and seal plate leading to turbo failure, etc.

I hope you know what you're doing
Old 07-28-2014, 05:21 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The torque specs are easy to find. Call Greddy, and they'll give them to you. That's what I did. Only reason it failed was because my torque wrench wasn't calibrated correctly. The numbers are VERY precise, though - you need to make sure your torque wrench is perfectly spec'd, or you risk overtightening. It's a really tiny shaft at the nut - I'd expect it to snap before it was too tight to spin, especially given these units age.

That said, you'd never guess who has a 15G laying around for parts, if you need any (and if they'll fit)...
Old 07-29-2014, 05:17 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

eh, it's like 20-22 inch pounds for the nut torque but you have to be gentle with the torque wrench, the slightest bounce can cause it to snap off the shaft