Notices

GT35R Compressor Housing still rotates when bolts tightened

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 07:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GT35R Compressor Housing still rotates when bolts tightened

I've got a precision gt35r here. For some reason when I snug the compressor housing down with the 1/2 bolts it will still rotate. Precision has a snap ring holding the backplate on and it's the backplate that rotates with the snap ring.

Have any of you guys ran into that before? I pulled the compressor off to tighten down the turbo on the manifold. I've done this plenty of times before but then again I don't recall having to do this ever and the turbo having a snap ring. I also pulled the charge piping off from another set-up that I have here with the same turbo and that backplate does not allow for any rotation.

I know I have used several HKS SSQ bov's and even with the ring in place they will sometimes rotate and I've never had issues with leakage.

Any info guys?
Old 09-06-2007, 07:43 PM
Mr. Badwrench

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: GT35R Compressor Housing still rotates when bolts tightened (PrecisionH23a)

stupid question, (i have never had one apart) is there an o ring missing on the back plate?

if there is, use jb weld. duh. he hee.
Old 09-06-2007, 07:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: GT35R Compressor Housing still rotates when bolts tightened (PrecisionH23a)

the bolts might be too long? can you get me pics?
Old 09-06-2007, 07:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GT35R Compressor Housing still rotates when bolts tightened (TiAL)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TiAL &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the bolts might be too long?</TD></TR></TABLE>

The bolts simply snug the backplate against the compressor. The backplate does not allow the compressor to rotate. The backplate is the piece that is rotating. I removed the compressor and with it off I can rotate the backplate and watch the snap-ring rotate with it.
Old 09-06-2007, 07:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PrecisionH23a &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

The bolts simply snug the backplate against the compressor. The backplate does not allow the compressor to rotate. The backplate is the piece that is rotating. I removed the compressor and with it off I can rotate the backplate and watch the snap-ring rotate with it.</TD></TR></TABLE>
snap ring may be upside down/not installed proper?
Old 09-06-2007, 07:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TiAL &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
snap ring may be upside down/not installed proper?</TD></TR></TABLE>

It shouldn't matter the position of the snap... do you mean it be in backwards?

I've also knocked the snap ring to see if it would get a better seal but no dice.
Old 09-06-2007, 07:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PrecisionH23a &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

It shouldn't matter the position of the snap... do you mean it be in backwards?

I've also knocked the snap ring to see if it would get a better seal but no dice.</TD></TR></TABLE>
it does matter which side is up....you will notice that there is a flat side and a side that is at an angle...angle side has to face outward (away from the compressor side)
Old 09-06-2007, 07:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TiAL &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
it does matter which side is up....you will notice that there is a flat side and a side that is at an angle...angle side has to face outward (away from the compressor side)</TD></TR></TABLE>

I think we mean the same thing but we are both wording them different. Correct though... this is my guess but unfortunately I don't have my snap ring pliers here with me and everywhere is closed at 12am, lol.
Old 09-06-2007, 08:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I think we mean the same thing but we are both wording them different. Correct though... this is my guess but unfortunately I don't have my snap ring pliers here with me and everywhere is closed at 12am, lol.</TD></TR></TABLE>
yep, i always wondered why there arn't 24 hour auto parts stores
Old 09-06-2007, 08:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yep, i always wondered why there arn't 24 hour auto parts stores </TD></TR></TABLE>

Because everyone is busy being an e-mechanic late at night?
Old 09-06-2007, 08:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you wanna drive to orlando theres a 24 hr autozone.
Old 09-06-2007, 08:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GT35R Compressor Housing still rotates when bolts tightened (OLD_HATCH)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by OLD_HATCH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you wanna drive to orlando theres a 24 hr autozone. </TD></TR></TABLE>
we have 8pm autozones here
Old 09-06-2007, 08:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GT35R Compressor Housing still rotates when bolts tightened (OLD_HATCH)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by OLD_HATCH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you wanna drive to orlando theres a 24 hr autozone. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Two in miami
Old 09-06-2007, 09:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GT35R Compressor Housing still rotates when bolts tightened (Turbogixxer)

I looked at both snap rings on the turbo in question and one currently on a car running. It appears both are installed the same. Without a snap ring plier big enough to pop this thing out I'm just pissing in the wind.

I'm giving up on this and I'll give Michael a call in the morning over at Precision. I'll report back with the final verdict.
Old 09-06-2007, 09:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ha! us cali guys got it made with more than enough 24hr autozone's, I think we got about 5 or so with in 30min drives of each other

When I had my 35r apart this never happened to me, when the answer is solved please inform us on what the cure was

GL
Old 09-07-2007, 12:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I personally had this happened to me a couple of months back. The results.......turbine ended up touching and had to purchase a new 35r.
Jake over at tial has never heard of this as well as most other garrett dealers.
ATP had seen this before as I was told, but no real fix..............
Mines only happens during boost and yes, it the chra will rotate where the c-clip holds it inplace.
possibly a new updated clip ring??? I'd never found the cause of this problem nor heard of any fix........

The new 35r is working great now with no issues. (maybe a defect??? who knows)
A good idea will be sending it directly to the dealers and have them study it.....
anyhow good luck!!!

Old 09-07-2007, 03:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

mine doesnt do that either . if its new I would send it back.
Old 09-07-2007, 04:25 AM
Mr. Badwrench

Default Re: GT35R Compressor Housing still rotates when bolts tightened (rip94delsol)

i have an autozone 100 yds from my house he hee only open til 9p though.
Old 09-07-2007, 05:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GT35R Compressor Housing still rotates when bolts tightened (boostedcivicsir)

my 35 did the same exact thing.its a T3 with a v-band...it drove me nuts...
i had some oil coming out the front so i figured that the oil was getting on the o-ring causing it to move around
take it apart, rig up a snap ring tool. clean it all up and put it back together....same ****. take it back apart and put some silicone sealant on the o-ring and still the same ****...finally i took it apart, put some jb weld on the o-ring and where the snap ring sits in and finally it held...didnt move around, stopped leaking oil, etc. prob not the best way, but it worked for me.. its nice when u spend near $1,300 on a turbo and your compressor housing moves around when u rev the motor
Old 09-07-2007, 08:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GT35R Compressor Housing still rotates when bolts tightened (.CUBISH.)

I got a hold of a set of large enough ring pliers and the o-ring was in tact. I spoke to Precision and there should be a .70" gap between the c-clip. I turned the c-clip around so the bevel faces away from the CHRA and it brought the gap down to around .59" but it would not sit in the groove all the way.

Precision is overnighting us a new GT35R and we're sending this one back. I'll post the updates when they let me know exactly what was wrong with this unit. I have a feeling it is related to the c-clip or possibly the backplate not being cut properly. That's just my assumption at this point.
Old 09-07-2007, 08:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PrecisionH23a &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I got a hold of a set of large enough ring pliers and the o-ring was in tact. I spoke to Precision and there should be a .70" gap between the c-clip. I turned the c-clip around so the bevel faces away from the CHRA and it brought the gap down to around .59" but it would not sit in the groove all the way.

Precision is overnighting us a new GT35R and we're sending this one back. I'll post the updates when they let me know exactly what was wrong with this unit. I have a feeling it is related to the c-clip or possibly the backplate not being cut properly. That's just my assumption at this point.</TD></TR></TABLE>

odd, keep us posted