Notices

GT28RS or GT3076? B18c1 91oct No track days, no autocross, and no drag racing;

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2019, 04:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 286 Likes on 245 Posts
Default Re: GT28RS or GT3076? B18c1 91oct No track days, no autocross, and no drag racing;

Originally Posted by TheShodan
As Txdragon stated, it may be the rage in cheap builds but for those that want better reliability and long term utility, I feel that my statement still holds true from many years of surviving trendy parts builds.
Originally Posted by DaX
We're on the same page. The FB vibe is just crazy. I want my stuff to LAST.
I took my lumps from the naysayers on my first build.. **cough cough** TheShodan **cough cough**, among others, in regard to "cheap" kits. I went in knowing that I'd only get so far before A, it went kaboom, or B, I wanted more.. It turned into a good thing out the gate, but turns out it would not have been long before the turbo **** the bed. I'd mentioned in my build thread that when I pulled it all apart after my P2V contact incident that I discovered I maybe had a few more months before it went **** up anyways. I would have gotten about 8 months of fun before opening the wallet again. And that was on a good, conservative tune by a reputable tuner. As for the others that do this, they follow examples from YouTube shadetrees and EXPECT that it last. Are there examples of decent longevity? Yes. Does it happen often? About as often as unicorns fart..
Old 07-01-2019, 08:24 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: GT28RS or GT3076? B18c1 91oct No track days, no autocross, and no drag racing;

Originally Posted by Txdragon
I took my lumps from the naysayers on my first build.. **cough cough** TheShodan **cough cough**, among others, in regard to "cheap" kits. I went in knowing that I'd only get so far before A, it went kaboom, or B, I wanted more.. It turned into a good thing out the gate, but turns out it would not have been long before the turbo **** the bed. I'd mentioned in my build thread that when I pulled it all apart after my P2V contact incident that I discovered I maybe had a few more months before it went **** up anyways. I would have gotten about 8 months of fun before opening the wallet again. And that was on a good, conservative tune by a reputable tuner. As for the others that do this, they follow examples from YouTube shadetrees and EXPECT that it last. Are there examples of decent longevity? Yes. Does it happen often? About as often as unicorns fart..
I'll continue that trend, thank you. it's high time that people that want to delve into this endeavor get all the facts, and not just the fun tidbits of attempting to go cheap like that. if you're well informed and understand and assume the risks associated with it, you'll never hear anything from me. (i.e. k7-Trevor comes to mind). Actually, now that I believe that I've already performed my bit for king & country, I don't give a flying fornication either way, for what others do anymore.

You can't fight and win against the interweb lore, so I just sit back and watch the world burn, comfortable in knowing that there are many ways to do it properly, and improperly, and as long as I can still show that my methodology continues to give positive results as it has for over 20 years, I won't feel any sympathy or empathy for those that want to take that path in an effort to "prove me wrong". (A cynic I have become, indeed *Yoda's voice*)

Please, be my guest.. My days of sincere altruism are long over. Good luck and godspeed to all that take the plunge, and I do truly wish those that attempt it. the best of luck & well wishes. Just understand, I'll say what I'll say, right,wrong, or indifferent. But unlike in the past, I won't say much, or judge anyone less for not understanding my methodology. I'm no king of the hill..hell, don't want to be..I'm just a guy that know turbos, and been around the block a few thousand times, that's all. .

You got nothing you need to prove to me... I ain't nobody

Last edited by TheShodan; 07-03-2019 at 01:06 PM.
Old 07-03-2019, 12:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by KilowattBandit
(I am a total noob at all of this, and it may seem like I want to be spoonfed information, but I honestly just want your opinions.)

I'm currently putting together a parts list for my dream build, and I'm conflicted on what turbo setup I should have. I don't even have the car to make this build a reality, so laugh at me all you want, but I just want to figure out EXACTLY what I want before dumping any money into this project. (I'm a broke college student, so this build will last throughout my entire life.)

Keeping in mind the aspects of performance, reliability, and aesthetic/bling, I've narrowed it down to two choices: the GT28RS or the GT3076R. The majority of threads I find online that reference these turbos are in the context of drag racing and constant dyno runs, but neither of those are what I'm going for. I want a fun daily driver that also kicks *** on the street, with power delivery that's somewhat manageable rather than a ludicrous jump in power while doing pulls. Horsepower? I don't know, anywhere between 276 to 376? I know this isn't how it works, but I would like to shoot for a PSI between 6 and 16 to reach that horsepower range. (Really arbitrary numbers, I know.) No track days, no autocross, and no drag racing; just old school "Fast and Furious" wannabe racer fun.
That being said, what would get me closer to such a goal on a fully built B18C1 with 91 pump gas: the GT28 or GT30?
-> Get this "GT29"71 84 TRIM turbo .64 a/r
https://www.turbo-total.com/en/gt307...0382-5003s-428
Smaller from the 55/60 gt30 turbine wheel
bigger from the 47/54 gt28 turbine wheel.
Combined with the very good GT3071 compressor wheel.
This turbo is perfect for what you want. And if you want later for whatever reason you can send it to Theshodan to fit a billet compressor wheel.