Notices

gt28r...three quick questions

Old 11-25-2005, 09:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gt28r...three quick questions

this is the turbo im getting this spring..ive searched and couldnt find responses to these questions specificaly.

1. Do they have to be water cooled.Im not to found of having to run coolant lines

2. For those who have them,are there creep/spike issues with them..i have these problems with my 15g and i want to bolt a 3 in downpipe to the gt28r and dont want lots of problems like i have now

3.It has funky inlets and outlets,do the pieces to bolt charge piping and inlet piping come with it or where can i get them.

other than these questions,it seems like the perfect turbo for me
Old 11-25-2005, 09:17 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: gt28r...three quick questions (second edition)

yes they have to be watercooled... if not the bearings will prematurely fail, i have talked in person to numerous garrett engineers, because the bearings are stainless and not ceramic they expand faster than the steel they are housed in... water cool to the turbo or watch it die a quick painful death
Old 11-25-2005, 09:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: gt28r...three quick questions (wantboost)

the gt28rs has the ceramic bearings right? i wouldnt have to watercool that then?
Old 11-25-2005, 09:25 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

no, all garrett gt series are dual stainless steel ball bearing
Old 11-25-2005, 09:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

https://honda-tech.com/zero...age=1

i read this whole thread..some (like yourself)said it has to be watercooled and others said that if you let it cool down and change oil often,that it doesnt mattter.....either way, i need a new radiator and while the coolant is drained im going to go ahead and do it.
Old 11-25-2005, 09:44 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

dont listen to them... im buddies with the people that made the damn things in the first place.... only thing letting it cool down does it keep the bearings from coking on shutdown.... not lengthen the bearing life. water cool it.... or find another turbo
Old 11-25-2005, 09:45 PM

How much HP are you after? Leaving the zc stock?
Old 11-25-2005, 09:53 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wantboost &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">dont listen to them... im buddies with the people that made the damn things in the first place.... only thing letting it cool down does it keep the bearings from coking on shutdown.... not lengthen the bearing life. water cool it.... or find another turbo</TD></TR></TABLE>

AFAIK cooling the turbo off after the engine has just been running allows the heat stored inside the turbine to exit. If you don't cool the turbine down the heat will transfer to the chra and damage the bearing system.
Old 11-25-2005, 09:59 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Default Re: gt28r...three quick questions (Si Shane)

Yea but its not the right way to do things.... running water lines keeps the chra at a certain temp, it wont let it fluctuate too much.... not running them allows chra temps to skyrocket to near exhaust gas temps... not good
Old 11-25-2005, 10:31 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by second edition &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">this is the turbo im getting this spring..ive searched and couldnt find responses to these questions specificaly.

1. Do they have to be water cooled.Im not to found of having to run coolant lines

2. For those who have them,are there creep/spike issues with them..i have these problems with my 15g and i want to bolt a 3 in downpipe to the gt28r and dont want lots of problems like i have now

3.It has funky inlets and outlets,do the pieces to bolt charge piping and inlet piping come with it or where can i get them.

other than these questions,it seems like the perfect turbo for me</TD></TR></TABLE>

1. you already have your answers. (WATER COOL IT thats way too much money to halfass it)

2. Majority of internal wastegates will have those types of issues with large exhaust. Go external.

3. depends on what you define as funky show us the pic of the one you are looking at.
Old 11-26-2005, 08:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: gt28r...three quick questions (Churbo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Churbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How much HP are you after? Leaving the zc stock? </TD></TR></TABLE>
yea,stock bottom end untill it blows..im hoping for around 230-240 at around 8-9 lbs

here is a picture of one...you can see where i would need a flange like piece to connect the charge piping to....i still would like to know about spiking issues with this turbo,if so, has anybody welded the flapper shut and ran an external wastegate?
Old 11-26-2005, 09:22 PM

With the power your looking at why not get a non BB t-28 they still will support 270whp your engine should be ok with those power levels BTW. Tell you what I'll sell you mine ill include the intake pipe off my s14.
Old 11-26-2005, 09:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: gt28r...three quick questions (Churbo)

as usual..i agree with wantboost...and this question just keeps popping up.

i just dont understand the big problem with people and running the coolant lines.

i purchased a gt-series "install kit" from jeff evans, its all fittings and stainless lines, make the install very clean and has really no chance of causing any problems.

the only thing i can say is just keep an eye on your radiator overflow tank, as the high temperatures of the turbo seem to play some sort of role in "stealing" a little coolant
Old 11-26-2005, 10:04 PM

Default Re: gt28r...three quick questions (yehiknowrite)

here is what you need...

http://myweb.cableone.net/tfna...8.JPG

http://myweb.cableone.net/tfna...7.JPG

http://myweb.cableone.net/tfna...5.jpg

I got mine from atpturbo.com ... http://www.atpturbo.com/Mercha...=GTBB
Old 11-26-2005, 11:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i run this turbo, 3" exhaust and use a blitz boost controller...no spiking at 10psi

And just run the water lines, its not hard
Old 11-27-2005, 09:10 AM
B*A*N*N*E*D

just to clear things up a bit:
1. Garrett only makes stainless steel BB chra's
2. water must be ran to radiate heat from the stainless bearings, as they have a very high expansion rate with tight tolerances.
3. your Garrett turbo's warranty is void if it is a BBchra and has been ran without water.
we've had 2 customers return their GT series that were ran without H20, and the result was a snapped shaft...
the water lines are very simple to run and can in most cases be t'd off of existing lines.
hope this helps
feel free to PM me with any questions

Ken

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wantboost &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> im buddies with the people that made the damn things in the first place.... </TD></TR></TABLE>

you are?

Old 11-27-2005, 04:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: gt28r...three quick questions (PhoenixTurbo.com)

i have no issues with the watercooling...as ive read, its easy..i just wanted more people with experience to chime in about the spiking with the internal wastegate
Old 11-27-2005, 05:17 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PhoenixTurbo.com &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you are?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

yea, lol, i talked to them alot at nopi, not to mention rob short from precision... oh, i might be making a trip out to cali soon for my car to caged by louie at l-con... i might stop by, make sure that uber dollar sand rail is there
Old 11-27-2005, 05:19 PM

You can get a HKS W/G actuator it meant to allow you to adjust the boost and have it hold steady. My non BB t-28 creeps abit 1-2psi.
Old 11-27-2005, 05:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PhoenixTurbo.com &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just to clear things up a bit:
1. Garrett only makes stainless steel BB chra's
2. water must be ran to radiate heat from the stainless bearings, as they have a very high expansion rate with tight tolerances.
3. your Garrett turbo's warranty is void if it is a BBchra and has been ran without water.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I thought Garrett does not warranty any turbo that are being used for racing/offroad purposes. When my GT28RS failed due to a bearing failure (it was watercooled of course), they simply told me they do not warranty anything unless the turbo was a factory turbo replacement. Well, we all know that Hondas never came with turbo, and no factory car ever came with a GT28RS. Can you shed some light on this? Thanks
Old 11-27-2005, 06:00 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by second edition &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> i still would like to know about spiking issues with this turbo,if so, has anybody welded the flapper shut and ran an external wastegate?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I think there are gaskets that block the waste gate from opening which you could use... but im unsure, so make sure from one of these other guys
Old 12-11-2005, 07:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: gt28r...three quick questions (Tony the Tiger)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tony the Tiger &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I thought Garrett does not warranty any turbo that are being used for racing/offroad purposes. When my GT28RS failed due to a bearing failure (it was watercooled of course), they simply told me they do not warranty anything unless the turbo was a factory turbo replacement. Well, we all know that Hondas never came with turbo, and no factory car ever came with a GT28RS. Can you shed some light on this? Thanks </TD></TR></TABLE>

Anyone know the answer to this?
Old 12-11-2005, 09:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: gt28r...three quick questions (LeGeND4LiFe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LeGeND4LiFe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Anyone know the answer to this?</TD></TR></TABLE>

hum, shocking. its like give us a grand, and if it fails you can shove it up yor ***.