Notices

GRRR! my dilemma...

Old 04-17-2002, 11:35 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GRRR! my dilemma...

well... my friend and i did the valve adjustment on my b18b. it turns out... it isnt the valves that are making that annoying rattling noise. the noise is at its worst during cold starts and revving. its not so bad when the car is warmed up.

he thinks it may be a bearing or something that has to do with the belts not being tightened when we put the cam gears on.. its hard to figure out. it sounds like its coming from the right side of the motor... originating anywhere from the section where the cam gears are and further down. its hard to determine...

went for a test drive... 1st gear power seems alot more smooth. it doesnt have a lag in 1st gear and the boost-kickin feeling isnt as strong. its continuous where it picks up and smoothly accelerates to to the point where i have to shift to 2nd before i redline.. then the boost-kick is in effect. i guess the valve adjustment opened up more air flow or something? i dunno...

well anyways... this is my main dilemma. for the last few days... ive noticed little oil leaks. usually its from my oil pan and ive already accepted the fact that its going to keep leaking no matter what i use... weld compound or JB weld. the thing is... today, after my little test drive since the valve adjustment... i noticed a scary leak that was light green. worse than it had been from the last few days. its coolant... which in fact seems thicker than usual... because i think its a mixture of coolant and oil. its leaking from somewhere and drops near the front of the oilpan. under the oil return lines. i look up and i cant figure out where its coming from. i dont think its the headgasket leaking. its not the oil return line.

any places where i should check? this is starting to **** me off. its like a neverending oil leak. i fix one.. another one shows up.

Old 04-22-2002, 12:25 AM
New User

Default Re: GRRR! my dilemma... (dlplayboy)

ok no one seems to know or have any ideas...

NEW QUESTION:
where are the possible areas in the engine where it would leak coolant? im havin trouble findin the coolant leak that i have.
Old 04-22-2002, 01:35 AM
New User

is that annoying rattling noise more like a high pitched sound
my car makes this wierd high pithced sound when i first start it up
sounds like its coming from the ac and alternator belt
but im not quite sure
i tightened the ac belt up and it seemed to go away but i think it was just because it was warmed up because the next day it was doing it again
i hope its nothing serious
the car runs fine
and it doesnt make that sound when its warmed up

[Modified by RoaringTurtle, 10:36 AM 4/22/2002]
Old 04-22-2002, 02:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GRRR! my dilemma... (RoaringTurtle)

when my radiator was leaking, before I really knew what it was.. I'd sit in front of my car and let it warm up, keep revving it until you can see where the leak is from. that's the best way to do it
Old 04-22-2002, 08:33 AM
MDA
New User

Drop your oil pan and take out one of the rod bearings to take a peak.... I wore mine out.... Almost cost me my engine... but just caught it in time... It's a cheap fix...

Old 04-22-2002, 12:04 PM
New User

Default Re: GRRR! my dilemma... (MDA)

Drop your oil pan and take out one of the rod bearings to take a peak.... I wore mine out.... Almost cost me my engine... but just caught it in time... It's a cheap fix...
what exacty am i looking for? there is this rattle... sounds near the right side of the motor. it doesnt sound healthy. its alittle quieter as the engine gets warmer. it actually sounds like a bearing is loose. if a rod bearing were loose... wouldnt my motor be out of commission by now?
Old 04-22-2002, 12:06 PM
New User

Default Re: GRRR! my dilemma... (RoaringTurtle)

is that annoying rattling noise more like a high pitched sound
my car makes this wierd high pithced sound when i first start it up
sounds like its coming from the ac and alternator belt
but im not quite sure
i tightened the ac belt up and it seemed to go away but i think it was just because it was warmed up because the next day it was doing it again
i hope its nothing serious
the car runs fine
and it doesnt make that sound when its warmed up

[Modified by RoaringTurtle, 10:36 AM 4/22/2002]
my problem is somewhat similar.
Old 04-22-2002, 02:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Have you checked the water pump? If it is going bad there is a weep hole that will leak coolant, and I would imagine that it might make some noise.
Old 04-22-2002, 07:16 PM
New User

Default Re: GRRR! my dilemma... (turbosol)

Have you checked the water pump? If it is going bad there is a weep hole that will leak coolant, and I would imagine that it might make some noise.
never thought about that. would it make a noise that would sound like a bearing is loose? hmmm its something to look into. im way due in for a timing belt replacement anyway. i heard its a bitch to replace the timing belt. might as well have a shop do it and replace the waterpump as well.
Old 04-22-2002, 07:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GRRR! my dilemma... (turbosol)

Hah, thats what exactly that is. I've heard that noise before from a bad water pump. I'm almost 99% sure
Old 04-22-2002, 09:17 PM
New User

Default Re: GRRR! my dilemma... (LsTurbo91)

cool... thats something i definitely have to take a look at. might as well replace the belts while im at it. im tryin to figure out if i should just do it myself.. or have it done somewhere else. i know its gonna cost an arm for that to be done at the dealer, but they do know their shiet alot better than these other shops. im too lazy.
Old 04-24-2002, 08:39 AM
MDA
New User

Well regarding the rod bearings... the engine will run for a while with them wearing out... you have to disconnect the end cap of the rod.. and there is are 2 half's to the bearing... .they should look like new... but mine were worn bigtime... it's quite appearant... actually if u do it... for a few bux (8/per) u might as well change the whole set....

In my case... this was a weird noise that started off as a quiet ticking and got louder over 2 weeks.... to the point where it sounded like someone was litterally knocking on the underside of the hood.... Just caught it in time.