Notices

Grade my catch cans(with pics)

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 04:17 PM
I tell doctors what to do

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grade my catch cans(with pics)

This is the first time I've ever hooked up catch cans so let me know if anything is wrong, or if you would have done something differently.(bonus question at bottom)

Here are my catch cans. All I did was clean out two empty mitsubishi brake fluid bottles that I got from my work. Scraped the labels off, and cleaned the leftover adhesive off with adhesive remover. Last step was to cut off the tops because the heater hose I used was too large to fit through the original neck and still allow some room to let everything breath. They are zip tied to the charcoal canister by the way.

Here is a farther view. Are these high enough up in the engine bay to be effective, or am I going to have problems?(double sided tape on the strut tower bar is to stop it from rubbing on my shitty CF hood )
Edit: ignore my mess of wires too. We can't all be perfect

Since the heater hose was so thick, I couldn't make a direct u-turn off the breather chamber or else it would kink or put a lot of stress on the breather chamber. So I ran it under the IM and then curved it up over the top.

To keep the hose away from the throttle cable I zip tied it to the fuel rail just enough so that it was snug but wouldn't kink at all. Is this going to cause a problem?

Bonus question: Since I'm not going to be using the pcv vacuum nipple on the IM, can it be used as a vacuum source for anything on my turbo setup, or will I have to just keep it capped off?
Old 03-09-2007, 05:17 PM

Default Re: Grade my catch cans(with pics) (ILcrxsi1)

props for diy
bump b/c interested too
Old 03-09-2007, 05:38 PM

Default Re: Grade my catch cans(with pics) (Papa John)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Papa John &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">props for diy
</TD></TR></TABLE>thanks. lol 90 something views and no comments yet?
Old 03-09-2007, 05:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what points of the engine are you venting?
Old 03-09-2007, 05:48 PM

Default Re: Grade my catch cans(with pics) (vtec.dc2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vtec.dc2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what points of the engine are you venting?</TD></TR></TABLE>one hose come from the breather on the valve cover and the other comes from the breather chamber on the back of the motor.
Old 03-09-2007, 06:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

think about this.....

you have pressure coming out of the block, which goes through the hoses to a closed can. The can's don't have venting or vacuum pull, so how will this releave pressure from the block?

Think about putting your mount on a empty 2-liter bottle and exhaling into it, is it easier to exhale into a 2-liter bottle with a hole at the other end or a closed bottle.
Old 03-09-2007, 06:15 PM

Default Re: Grade my catch cans(with pics) (seen4ever)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by seen4ever &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">think about this.....

you have pressure coming out of the block, which goes through the hoses to a closed can. The can's don't have venting or vacuum pull, so how will this releave pressure from the block?

Think about putting your mount on a empty 2-liter bottle and exhaling into it, is it easier to exhale into a 2-liter bottle with a hole at the other end or a closed bottle.</TD></TR></TABLE>no, the hose isn't tight in the neck of the bottle at all. It just looks like it is in the picture. That's why I mentioned that I cut the necks off the bottles. So the hose's wouldn't be tight and it all could breath. There is a lot of gap at the opening of the bottle, I promise you
Old 03-09-2007, 06:49 PM

functional and using supplies that wouldve otherwise been discarded
Old 03-09-2007, 08:05 PM

Default Re: Grade my catch cans(with pics) (TheWhiteHatchProject)

Here is a shitty pic showing the opening at the top of one of the bottles. I left enough room to breath.
Old 03-09-2007, 10:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ILcrxsi1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">one hose come from the breather on the valve cover and the other comes from the breather chamber on the back of the motor.</TD></TR></TABLE>

no he means your engine looks totally stock except for the strut bar, whats the point of making a catch can setup?
Old 03-10-2007, 05:02 AM

Default Re: Grade my catch cans(with pics) (TIGboy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TIGboy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

no he means your engine looks totally stock except for the strut bar, whats the point of making a catch can setup?</TD></TR></TABLE>because, I'm putting a turbo on my stock motor. Last time I checked 90 crx's didn't come with a d15b vtec, so look harder next time. And I don't see anyone in this thread implying what you just said.
Old 03-10-2007, 05:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How much do you charge for that kind of contrapment? I need one asap as ****.
Old 03-10-2007, 06:01 AM

Default Re: Grade my catch cans(with pics) (nonvtecallmotor)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nonvtecallmotor &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How much do you charge for that kind of contrapment? I need one asap as ****.</TD></TR></TABLE>lol what are oy talking about? The only thing I paid for was the heater hose. It was like $5 because I work for a stealership and get a discount on ****. Everything else was just random **** laying around.
Old 03-10-2007, 06:41 AM

i believe that guy was mearly stating that the motor didnt look like it needed a catch can, reguardless if it was vtec or not.

i say props for diy, i would get some kinda breather put it in the hole the hoses are in now and cut a hole in the side for the hose to go in
Old 03-10-2007, 06:46 AM

Default Re: Grade my catch cans(with pics) (b18sihatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b18sihatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i believe that guy was mearly stating that the motor didnt look like it needed a catch can, reguardless if it was vtec or not.

i say props for diy, i would get some kinda breather put it in the hole the hoses are in now and cut a hole in the side for the hose to go in</TD></TR></TABLE>yeah I was in a bad mood earlier. I have to work saturday morning .

I thought about the breather on top. But decided against it just because of the size of the hoses. The bottles aren't really that big and the hole would have to be kind of far down. And really the breather filter just isn't needed and it's just more money.