Notices

got my sleeved block, couple questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2003, 04:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default got my sleeved block, couple questions

just picked this bad boy up

my questions were:

i'm missing 2 bolts from the last end cap, you can see the picture...i can just get new ones from acura right?

should i get mainstuds instead of using main bolts??

also, there is some rust on the sleeves im assuming for lack of oil/use...what to do about it?

lastly, this has copper o-rings. i bought his block from someone else who had different plans than I did.

o rings basically help with headgasket seal right? i'm assuming they lower compression ratio a little bit?

how is the long-term reliability of o-rings? should I get these removed and not even bother?

thanks!
Old 09-30-2003, 04:46 AM

Default Re: got my sleeved block, couple questions (Response)

nicey nice...
Old 09-30-2003, 06:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I would just get some stock main bolts. Either from a blown motor with them in it still, or from acura. If you do not have a hone take some FINE sandpaper and tranny fluid and sand the inside of the walls to get rid of the rust. O rings help seal the headgasket. It doesnt lower the compression any. I dont know of a way for the rings to get machined out but i have seen someone put jb weld into the ring and it held great. And this was a 350hp ls motor. To buy the o rings you will have to have a machine shop fit them. or find out the demintions of the rings and just order them.

Philip
Old 09-30-2003, 08:07 AM

Default Re: got my sleeved block, couple questions (philipwight)

mmm sleeves.....tasty bump for sleeved motor
Old 09-30-2003, 06:05 PM

Default Re: got my sleeved block, couple questions (99integralsturbo)

so i guess im just better off keeping them huh?

i did a search, most people seem to have no problems with them

the bore is 83 and was honed to fit arais pistons the guy had which I didn't purchase, so i was advised to just do a .25 or .5 overbore to ensure proper clearance..that should get ridda the rust too
Old 09-30-2003, 06:30 PM
saso

niiiiiiiiiice what are you serving that with (hp #'s please)
Old 09-30-2003, 07:22 PM

Default Re: (saso)

You need to make sure that during this teardown and buildup that it was all handled by one person, or a few QUALIFIED people. I would ask who I bought the block from if they were the ones that tore it down. You need to make sure that they kept the main caps in correct order, check to make sure that they aren't installed backwards either, I have seen that a few times. Also, did you get a crank with that block?

As for the rust,... it sucks that it is there, but you will have to deal with it, for now just spray some wd-40 in there, and make sure not to touch the sleeves with your fingers, as it will leave rust spots where your fingers touched it, try it if you don't believe me! It should be no problem, if you were REALLY ****, you would have it re-honed and then keep it oiled so it wouldn't rust. Good luck, I hope it all works out OK.
Old 09-30-2003, 07:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Hondaddict)

THe O-ring is just some copper wire that it I think -18 gauge or -16 gauge. Let it be known that I have had seen 2 different GE blocks with different size O-rings. We had extra wire from GE and it fit one motor but didn't fit another.

So we went shopping at Home Depot. In there wire selection we found some braided copper wire that we didn't like, then some regular copper wire that was still wrong. So we ended up looking down the same aisle and found some kind of electrical line for phones or something, my friend who is a electrician decided to splice into a couple until he found some wire that was perfect with the size that we needed for his block. Lightly tap it in with no gap around each cylinder with a butt of a hammer or something of that kind.

Shouldn't raise the compression at all, it will smoosh nicely and help seal.

Modified by SOUNDEFFECTS at 2:36 AM 10/1/2003
Old 09-30-2003, 07:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bolts from acura are fine..new or used
no need for main studs
try some wd 40 on the rust an massage it with scotch brite gently
leave the o-rings alone, they affect nothing but the seal of the head gasket
The proper way to remove the o-ring groove is with a milling machine but that is not necessary. just use and enjoy them
Old 10-01-2003, 08:47 AM

Default Re: (Hondaddict)

aren't the main caps numbered with an arrow pointed towards the timing belt side?

the block seems to be in fine condition other than the rust, they are golden eagle sleeves and i trust them to be competent by now to install sleeves

i am building this for a winter project, and probably will have it bored out another .25 of .5 mm just to clean that crap up and to make sure my new pistons will fit w/o any issues

i didnt get a crank with this block. i have access to a 91 ls and a 97 ls crank, i was going to have it balanced and micropolished, these cranks are forged so other than possible damage from a previously spun bearing, i shouldn't have to worry about any other kind of damage should I? the 97 would be coming from the motor that's in my car now, the 91 is a bare crank i found in classifieds on this board
Old 10-01-2003, 08:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Response)

How bout a ITR crank...

can run gsr/itr crank - rods...
Old 10-02-2003, 07:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (newspeedR)

nice, looks good