Notices

got $6000 to spend on a turbo conversion for my b16a2 eg6. please help me spend it wisely

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2001, 08:58 AM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default got $6000 to spend on a turbo conversion for my b16a2 eg6. please help me spend it wisely

i have a 92 b16a2 (158bhp/no lsd) engined civic hatch which is stock apart from intake, chip and de-cat pipe. ive recently got a new job and have decided i need a turbo as soon as possible. ive seen kits for sale, and the group buys on here. But have also read in other posts that people that have bought these kits and ended up upgrading a lot of the parts. initially i will be spending around $5-6000 (possibly more) but plan to spend more in a year or so. I dont want to be replacing parts that i buy now next year because they cant cope with higher boost levels(unless they are relatively inexpensive).

Also, if i can, i would like to use a block and head that are as near to stock as possible(for now). the main reason for this is that i might want to unbolt all of my kit at some point, sell my 92 car and get a mint condition last of the line 95 model because they're available with b16a2's as standard in the uk. another reason is that if i blew my engine up, it would only cost £400 for a secondhand b16a2 over here.

ive read about hondata, and quite fancy a stage 4b. but will i need it yet? what would i do with my ECU if i didnt get a hondata? just get a custom chip?i dont know of anyone using hondata in the uk, infact i dont even know of ANY turbo'd honda

exactly what parts do i need to make a turbo work on my honda. i like really high quality parts if the extra money is worth it but my car is not and never will be a show car so i was thinking i might be able to salvage some parts secondhand out of junkyards like intercooler possibly(obviously a bit of modification might be required)

one last thing, i read about these turbo hondas with 3, 4 and even 500 whp but never see anything about uprated gearboxes or driveshafts. do the standard parts generally do the job but need replacing quite often. or is there a definate point where i would need to upgrade these things.

i really need every last bit of information and advice down to oil and spark plug choices. i have spent hours searching through these pages and found a lot of relevant information but i am still lacking in an overall picture of the system as a whole.

thanks to all that have read this annoyingly long post. EVERY reply will be much apreciated.

oh yeah, in the uk we have nice cold dense air and 95-99 octane pump gas if that makes much difference
Old 11-08-2001, 09:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: got $6000 to spend on a turbo conversion for my b16a2 eg6. please help me spend it wisely (ben_v

first off i would contact ben at importparts.com ask him if he can hook you up on a b16a turbo kit in a civic. price for that is 3199 ask him if he will throw in the goodies like last group buy.

the drag kit will do you just fine with the upgraded tial wastegate and checkvalve from ben. He also included the plugs and guagues with the price...

Second off dont worry about the ECU as of yet you can run approx 7-8 psi without and be just fine. The stock block will hold that fine.

on the 500hp cars that you see in magazines about every single one have some sort of limited slip diff with at least some sort of aftermarket axles. The stock ones wont cut it.

Old 11-08-2001, 09:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: got $6000 to spend on a turbo conversion for my b16a2 eg6. please help me spend it wisely (ben_v

Since you've got the money, I'd suggest going w/ a standalone setup for your fuel concerns, make's boosting ALOT easier!
Old 11-08-2001, 10:34 AM

I would suggest getting a custom kit U can even get some of the parts from your used car lots there, like Intercoole.Get a DFI or Hondata, especially the Hondata, That is essentially a stock computer that is chipped to be programmable and has maps for boost and boost control, it is super easy to program and anyone who has any knowledge of a Dyno can tune your car. Actually, the technology is in place for U to download data for your Hondata From anywhere in the world.
Old 11-09-2001, 05:35 AM
Trial User

you could MAKE a turbo kit for under 2000. under 2000 for any standalone. and build your engine (high CR) w/ the rest, w/ a standalone you can go the high CR route very easily and safe!!! the big factor.
I was helping a friend to peice together a kit and it came to about 1500.oo.

btw the standalone... dfi!!!!! new version

[Modified by 4dGSR at work, 6:36 AM 11/9/2001]
Old 11-09-2001, 11:13 AM
New User

how much is a dfi? do they have a website?

thanks for the replies so far

is a hondata ecu classed as a stand alone or a modified ecu, i know vey little about the subject.....anyone care to go into detail