Notices

going turbo now

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2005, 06:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default going turbo now

hey guys. i just completed my mini-me swap(took forever). anyways, i also have a turbo kit ill be throwing on real soon. the kit includes a rhb5 turbine with no external wastegate, smi,dsm bov along with the piping,etc. ill be using a fmu and a missing link. okay, before you guys rip on me for using crappy management, im saving money for the hack. anyways, i think that 8 psi is a little too much.ive been reading a lot about how vacuums affect boost and should be fixed right away. so i was wondering if i could drill a small hole(maybe 3mm or 4) on one of the pipe for small vacuum leak, causing the boost to go down a little bit? i dont have any dough and i need this car for a daily driver as im a student. you guys see anything wrong with this setup(besides the obvious i mean)? the reason for the small drilling is ill fill it back up later when i have decent management.
thanks
Old 02-04-2005, 06:56 AM

Default Re: going turbo now (98_civic_dude)

good question, ill see if anyone I know has the answer and hit you back up soon. I just have some questions about the swap, actually a lot. Do you think that its a good idea to get this swap since my head gasket blew? I know someone who has an extra D16 head. Also, how much of a gain did you feel? Was it great? And I heard that you must remove the oil jet between the 2nd and 3rd cylinder or something, is this true? Do you have any suggestions on how to avoid any future problems with the swap, for instance, things i made need that I may not have thought about? Sorry to be so inquisitive, I just need someone who has sucessfully completed the swap to help me out, thanks if you took the time to read and answer me.
Old 02-04-2005, 07:04 AM

Default Re: going turbo now (4door_ridin)

i wouldnt go drilling holes in anything, unless someone who knows there **** does it. I mean your gonna cause a leak in your ****, so the boost goes down?? why not make a manuel boost controler??
Old 02-04-2005, 07:11 AM

hate to say it, but homeboys right. You shouldnt drill a hole, may cause a leak and do some damage. Sorry just asked someone, look for another way to control your boost
Old 02-04-2005, 07:11 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 98_civic_dude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hey guys. i just completed my mini-me swap(took forever). anyways, i also have a turbo kit ill be throwing on real soon. the kit includes a rhb5 turbine with no external wastegate, smi,dsm bov along with the piping,etc. ill be using a fmu and a missing link. okay, before you guys rip on me for using crappy management, im saving money for the hack. anyways, i think that 8 psi is a little too much.ive been reading a lot about how vacuums affect boost and should be fixed right away. so i was wondering if i could drill a small hole(maybe 3mm or 4) on one of the pipe for small vacuum leak, causing the boost to go down a little bit? i dont have any dough and i need this car for a daily driver as im a student. you guys see anything wrong with this setup(besides the obvious i mean)? the reason for the small drilling is ill fill it back up later when i have decent management.
thanks</TD></TR></TABLE>

what you are saying doesn't make sense. THe wastegate opens under boost, reading from somewhere near the BOV, not vaccum. And the BOV opens by using vaccum inside the manifold to actuate the valve to release the air. Drilling a hole in the wastegate line would cause it to open later. It would be reading less boost than there actually is, making it open later, making you boost MUCH higher than you would want, and even much higher than the stock WG spring is set at.

I would just go easy on the throttle. I am actually willing to bet that is won't boost past 7psi even if it is set at 8psi. Most internal wastegates are kind of inaccurate anyway.

I don't see a way you can get it to underboost without loosening the tension on the internal wastegate. You can't add boost pressure that isn't there.

Modified by snoochtodanooch at 11:26 AM 2/4/2005
Old 02-04-2005, 07:12 AM

bump
Old 02-04-2005, 07:24 AM

Default Re: going turbo now (AllmtrSlut)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AllmtrSlut &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i wouldnt go drilling holes in anything, unless someone who knows there **** does it. I mean your gonna cause a leak in your ****, so the boost goes down?? why not make a manuel boost controler??</TD></TR></TABLE>

that can only increase boost pressure not decrease it. the spring is the limiting factor here and i am guessing that it is set to 8psi
Old 02-04-2005, 08:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the only difference i felt was in the higher upper rpms(5000rpms+). much, much torquer.otherwise it felt just like my dx when i drive normally. i didnt get the EX tranny yet, but many suggest that getting the EX tranny is better, first. its pretty reliable as everyting you do is straight forward. i didnt switch the IM, as i didnt have one, but i will be putting one on(trust me, DX sucks). anyways, theres a SHITLOAD of stuff on here about doing this swap. btw, there is no oil jet for the 96-98 d16y7 block, as that's wut i used for my minime. and the blown head gasket.....oo...i dont know. i never had a blown head gasket, so i wouldnt know.

i used soccain's guide to complete my swap.check it out. everyting you need right here.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=735196

Old 02-04-2005, 08:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: going turbo now (snoochtodanooch)

hey thanks. okay. i wont do it then

i was thinking about just getting a 38mm tial wastegate anyways and changing the spring. okay.

later