Notices

going to turbo my b16 during winter. need some help.

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 11:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default going to turbo my b16 during winter. need some help.

hey guys i just got afew questions for you. This winter i plan on turboing my b16. I want to run on stock internals for a season and I will be building a block in the meantime for next year. I plan on running 9PSI because thats what i heard would be the best. Is this true? I'm not too sure what kind of turbo I should be looking at. I plan on making 600+whp with my built motor next year. So i would like to do a one time buy on th turbo instead of upgrading it next year. Besides the search button do you guys know any sites that can tell me some info about different turbo's? If not can you give me some suggestions what i should be looking at or towards. Also what name brands should i be looking at towards an intercooler,bov and all. Thanks
Old 12-13-2006, 01:42 PM

Default Re: going to turbo my b16 during winter. need some help. (civic_66)

What kind of budget do you have?

Personally, for 600whp..you need a 1000CFM intercooler, doesn't really matter what size, but instead what it can flow. Obviously the more expensive intercoolers are better at this, such as Full-Race's back door intercooler.

Do you want to keep A/C? If so, go with Full-Race A/C mani's..very expensive though.

I would recommend lovefab manifolds, they have many to choose from depending on your needs and they will most likely be the best bang for the buck.

Tial wastegate. No exceptions.

BOV doesn't really matter too much, just whatever fits your budget.

I would recommend using a Lovefab mani, GT35R (.82AR), or the T3/T67. (if you want a poor powerband though) GT4080R could be a thought, but that's overkill on a stock motor, and your powerband on a stock motor will suck hard nutz. Use at least 2.5inch charge piping, and at least a 3in downpipe w/ 3+ inch cat-back. Make sure you have a nice Walbro 255 prepped for the next block, and also you might want to pick up some Type-R cams for that second motor to extract alil more up top. I'd use Hondata S200, S300 or Crome. All are sufficient substitutes. Oh, and use 600+cc injectors on your first turbo build and 1000+cc injectors on second build. (In order to extract 600hp) Be ready for some tire blazin' dude...be very ready.

Actually the GT35R is going to have a hard time reaching 600whp, but it most definately has the best powerband, which is just as important. Otherwise, go with the T3/T67 turbo or the 'ole 40R.
Old 12-13-2006, 02:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: going to turbo my b16 during winter. need some help. (WickedHonda00)

Old 12-14-2006, 12:56 PM

Default Re: going to turbo my b16 during winter. need some help. (WickedHonda00)

wow thats awesome thanks for the info. It's so hard to make up your mind because there are so many options to choose from. I'm on an average budget but I know afew dudes that can hook me up so that'll really help me out. What are your comments of the GT40R? Also to answer your question I dont have or want any A/C.
Old 12-15-2006, 07:27 AM

Default Re: going to turbo my b16 during winter. need some help. (civic_66)

I would go with LoveFab manifolds.

If my goal was 600+whp, I would use the GT4067R.

Personally my goal would never be 600whp. Instead, I would try to max out the times with a 400whp motor, then gradually work my way upwards. But never adding more power until my times were increased sufficiently from the last setup.

Try not to think of your goal with a hp number. Instead, think of "timeslips". Set your goal to say...11.7 on street tires, and once you've acheived that..move up to slicks and set your goal to 11.3. Eventually you will have to increase the torque, however in order to cut times down--> don't go overboard. You don't need 600+whp to have a 10's car, I promise. You need to concentrate on having a setup that encourages better traction, then slowly moving up to the bigger hp applications AS YOU ACHEIVE NEWLY IMPROVED TIMES.

Personally, I would use the GT35R, boost it to 20psi (typically something close to 500whp) and use a custom gearing in my B16 tranny to make the times go all the way down to the low 10's, even high 9's. Screw everyone elses big hp methods, they don't work. Low, long, and flatline torque curve is what you want along with lot's of gear reduction. (Type-R gearing, B16 tranny, etc.) This improves traction where it counts.

It only takes about 520whp to make a 2500lb car break 9's, ASSUMING that traction is near perfect. Fact is, if you use a GT40R or bigger turbo, it will take years for you to make your traction perfect, and you will have gone through several motors by then. Just start out alittle smaller, but not too small. Work your way up.