Notices

Going for turbo ITR...

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 11:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Going for turbo ITR...

Not going for huge numbers or anything crazy, just wanna have a little more fun than paying a **** ton for all motor or maxing out a supercharged setup and being left with some serious work to squeeze some power out. I dont wanna here any should a bought this or that I bought what I did to make it easier to get a power number and most proper builds you change pistons and rods anyways or upgrade to ITR stuff.

So... I was looking to get power down low so turbo thats kinda small. No idea what size to get . Never owned a boosted car, only have driven them and its like nothing else. Looking up stuff on here looks like I should get a mini ramhorn manifold. Piston choice I know a lot do 9:1 but what about 10:1 and less boost? I'm trying to do a like budget build but not to where I get shitty parts and thats pretty hard to say. Where should I start though? HP goal is pretty low for a boosted Honda, maybe like 275WHP?
Old 07-09-2010, 11:54 PM
pm4nudes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Going for turbo ITR...

fullrace kit with the gt30r upgrade...I dont think the ol disco potato will get you to 275...
Old 07-10-2010, 01:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

As much as I love full race manifolds and what not... wouldn't I be better off piecing my own setup together? I thought the full race setup was like $5k and I dont think it included pistons, rods, head studs, and figure in an ECU and tune?
Old 07-10-2010, 04:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

with the compression you have now and a basic t/3 57 trim or 60-1 you could accomplish your goals very easily if your shooting for 275whp i wouldnt even change compression yes it would be safer but ive seen a few itrs running waaay more whp and all stock internals.
what about a set of arp headstuds?
ever think about e85?
reguardless of what kit you get you should be spending around a additional grand for tuning and misce,, fuel sys, ems.. just to have the car running correctly like it or not.

any manifold should get you to your goals. just dont cheap out and get some of poor construction
Old 07-10-2010, 06:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by chewyv
fullrace kit with the gt30r upgrade...I dont think the ol disco potato will get you to 275...
the full race kit is honestly kind of a waste. he can piece together a cheaper setup and save some coin at the same time. the disco potato is rated @ 400hp, it will have no problems getting him to his goal.

Originally Posted by FlewByU352
As much as I love full race manifolds and what not... wouldn't I be better off piecing my own setup together? I thought the full race setup was like $5k and I dont think it included pistons, rods, head studs, and figure in an ECU and tune?
yes you can piece together your own setup cheaper with pistons and rods.

Originally Posted by cleansi
with the compression you have now and a basic t/3 57 trim or 60-1 you could accomplish your goals very easily if your shooting for 275whp i wouldnt even change compression yes it would be safer but ive seen a few itrs running waaay more whp and all stock internals.
what about a set of arp headstuds?
ever think about e85?
reguardless of what kit you get you should be spending around a additional grand for tuning and misce,, fuel sys, ems.. just to have the car running correctly like it or not.

any manifold should get you to your goals. just dont cheap out and get some of poor construction
the 60-1 is a bit overkill for 275

op your goal can be accomplished on stock internals, just make sure you compression check your motor.

otherwise you can go forged internals too, it never hurts.
Old 07-10-2010, 09:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

No E85 stations locally unless I do a water or meth injection to keep it a little further away from detonation. 11.1:1 and boost has been done but the margin for error is slim. I would get a disco potatoe but I'm not a fan of internally gated or water cooled turbos. For the tune I'm definately thinking Hondata S300 and tuned wise Idk yet but there's a lot of talent here in the Tampa bay area.
Old 07-10-2010, 09:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by AlexDphoto
the full race kit is honestly kind of a waste. he can piece together a cheaper setup and save some coin at the same time. the disco potato is rated @ 400hp, it will have no problems getting him to his goal.

yes you can piece together your own setup cheaper with pistons and rods.

the 60-1 is a bit overkill for 275

op your goal can be accomplished on stock internals, just make sure you compression check your motor.

otherwise you can go forged internals too, it never hurts.
Yeah I had a 60-1 on my ITR as well as my current hatch. Mine is ball bearing and if you are looking for power low it isnt the turbo for you. I start making power about 5000rpm or so.

The 30R is a great turbo and will support what you want and more if you decide later to turn it up.
Old 07-10-2010, 02:00 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Disco potato will do fine for 275 as well as the GT2871. GT30R and 60-1 and even 57 trims are rather much for his goals. Especially at 10.6-10.0:1 compression. keep it simple and use an equal length shorty or even a well manufactured log manifold.
Old 07-10-2010, 06:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

go-autoworks has nicely priced kits, i just placed an order for one the other day and can't wait to get it!
Old 07-10-2010, 09:49 PM
pm4nudes

my boss wants me to recommed you the garrett GT2860R - 739548-9.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:32 PM
pm4nudes

yes but correct me if Im wrong...(i dont think I even need to say that)...but running the current compression plus the larger gt30 on low boost will get you to your goal of 275 probably more around 300 and still get better responce prior to spool with the higher comp. I mean you might as well take the advantage of the high comp right?

Last edited by chewyv; 07-11-2010 at 12:59 AM. Reason: wrong wording
Old 07-11-2010, 12:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well heres the thing, small turbo = less air = more PSI to make more power. big turbo = more air = less PSI to make more or the same power. I always figured I would do less boost on a bigger turbo to run away from detonation problems, but they you start getting into turbo efficiency range and what not. I'm at a toss up with the compression ratio and all that stock. Yes its been done on 11.1:1 compression and its very easy to make power on low boost, but your capped lower because of pump gas. I'm not sure how long ITR rods and pistons will hold which is why I was thinking of "doing it correctly" 1st time around and putting in some forged internals meant to easily withstand what I'm looking for. Boost it addicting though so who knows, I think everyone gets power hungry but as a daily 275WHP with short *** gearing in a car that weighs 2600lbs its plenty of power to have fun and I'm sure it wont do too bad at the track.

I'm going to look up go-autoworks and the garrett GT2860R - 739548-9. Synapse has always been a favorite of mine with prices and quality. I just need to decide whether I boost on stock internals or go forged and then budget wise with the whole setup. I have a real bad tendency to what most call "over doing". I'm afraid if I open the motor I will end up with a Darton sleeved 2L lmao.
Old 07-11-2010, 01:02 AM
pm4nudes

after your last post im going to assume that your gonna end up doing more than you planned...yah!
Old 07-11-2010, 06:09 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Well heres the thing, small turbo = less air = more PSI to make more power. big turbo = more air = less PSI to make more or the same power. I always figured I would do less boost on a bigger turbo to run away from detonation problems, but they you start getting into turbo efficiency range and what not.
This is physically true, but you're not taking into account the changes in response and lower end torque by using a smaller turbocharger to get the better powerband that you want. Instead of concentrating on 275whp as a "Peak" amount of power, look at the area UNDER the curve. That is where the differences lie in using a smaller turbocharger vs larger using "less boost". Yes, it may take a little more, but if its tuned correctly, it doesn't matter if you at 8psi or 10psi to do what you want the car to do for the purpose you're looking for.

If you're afraid that you'll just want "more" all the time, do yourself a favor, and start riding in various turbo hondas that have the 275 up to the 400whp you'll need. Don't just go in a straight line "burst" either. Take the car for a true test drive on freeways, slower roads, around corners, chicanes, etc. Then you'll have a better idea of what you're looking for and can plan accordingly without being afraid of asking for too much.
Old 07-11-2010, 07:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh I know the bigger turbo will reach my goal but that's reaching a peak goal and I want the powerband to start low which means I need a smaller one. Honestly I'd do a supercharged setup if it had better capabilities and didn't take extra mods to cool it some but still run hot. Turbo there's just so much more room to expand and there's so many different choices. My friend has a 301whp EG coupe, obviously its lighter but I can get the idea if he ever gets on it with me in it lol. I don't know many with turbo Honda's anymore
Old 07-11-2010, 10:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

on my stock ITR motor I made 309whp back in the day with a inline pro head gasket and block gaurd with a tiny greddy 18G. It was at 17psi on hondata and 93 pump gas.
Old 07-11-2010, 11:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

.....<not wanting to max> out a supercharged setup ........Where should I start though? HP goal is pretty low for a boosted Honda, maybe like 275WHP?
This isn't about the B18C5 specifically, but the Toyota 1.8L 2ZZ in my car was designed to go after the famed B18C5 back in 2000. The engines are very similar and stock dyno graphs almost look identical.

Anyways, Lotus guys have successfully been using an MP62 supercharger divorced from the intake manifold to use with an intercooler. We are getting up to 300HP at the wheels before things start becoming a loosing fight with the heat. The 2ZZ also has 11.5:1 compression.

So what I'm saying is that with a good design, I don't see why a B18C5 couldn't hit 275WHP from a standard MP62 supercharger. But of course I do not believe that such a design is readily available to you guys so, "cheap" probably wouldn't be as much as option.

I do like the drama of turbo's, but supercharged cars really are a breeze to drive...very consistant. With a turbo, no matter what the (reasonable) size you always going to have that point where there isn't enough energy in the exhaust to build boost and then with just a little more throttle the turbo will start building boost. I find that sensation fun in turbo's, but the lack of it in superchargers does have its merrits.

Aftermarket design with side mount intercooler

Lotus built top mount (not practical for yall obviously, but you can see the charger seperated from the intalke manifold)