Notices

B18C5 Turbo Build, what would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 12:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B18C5 Turbo Build, what would you do?

So I bought a clean title oem '97 CW ItR and just finished getting all the suspension/chassis built with Tein and HardRace. Now its on to the original B18C5 motor, I know from the receipts provided that it has a brand new oem usdm ItR LSD Trans, l&r oem axles, 2001 ItR cams, Crower dual valve springs, Crower titanium retainers and some sort of .5mm oversized valves. So i am thinking ill just build the block, slap on a turbo(GT30R???) and have it tuned on a P28 Hondata S300.

I am looking for about 400whp, but must be able to use a cat conv and 91oct (good 'ol SoCal).

So my question is; what would you do? what would you buy?

1.)Rods, $
2.)Pistons, $
3.)Bearings, $
4.)Sleeves?, $
5.)HeadGasket, $
6.)Turbo, $
7.)Ex. Manifold, $
8.)InterCooler and piping, $
9.)Fuel Rail & FPR, $
10.)Injectors, $

is there anything else you think ill need to complete this Type R Turbo Build?

Last edited by 4DRDB8GSR; 07-12-2010 at 12:29 AM.
Old 07-12-2010, 12:13 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: B18C5 Turbo Build, what would you do?

well, since you're in cali, if the kit isnt carb approved youre screwed (since you seem to be sticking to an emissions thing here) so unless you plan on fudging the carb plaque, your options are limited.

stock size valves are fine for 400hp. theres no point in putting bigger valves in an unported head, nor is there really a need for bigger valves.
Old 07-12-2010, 12:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: B18C5 Turbo Build, what would you do?

Originally Posted by wantboost
well, since you're in cali, if the kit isnt carb approved youre screwed (since you seem to be sticking to an emissions thing here) so unless you plan on fudging the carb plaque, your options are limited.

stock size valves are fine for 400hp. theres no point in putting bigger valves in an unported head, nor is there really a need for bigger valves.
Maybe i wasn't all that clear, Not looking for a 'Kit' at all. Am looking for peoples suggestions on what they would buy for the the list of 10 parts.

The car already has the .5mm oversized valves dual valve springs and Ti retainers installed. I also just installed all the following parts

Tein Flex ItR coilovers
EDFC w/ Stepping motors
HardRace front LCA's w/ bushings
OEM JDM ItR 25mm front sway bar
HardRace Front sway bar end links
Skunk2 front camber kit
HardRace Roll center adjuster
HardRace compliance bushings
Function7 'Teflon' ItR rear LCA's w/ bushings
OEM USDM R 22mm rear sway bar
Function7 Rear sway bar end links
Skunk 2 rear camber kit
HardRace rear trailing arm bushings
HardRace toe arms w/ bushings
HardRace Shifter bushings

I am in california which means the highest pump octane is 91oct and the rarely found 101 is around $10/gal. I am not at all sticking to an 'emissions thing' other then a cat. conv.(prob 3" carsound highflow?) is required here in California or it is a $2k-$3k fine and car impounded. It is also very easy for a cop to see whether or not it is there. As for the turbo and manifold the engine bay will have a greddy 'carb legal' plaque so visually it would be hard for a cop to say "this is not a full greddy kit, it is a GT30 there for the plaque doesnt count and we are impounding the car". hope this helps clear up any confusion as to what i am looking to do.

SO any suggestions? What would you buy?